Meds and weight gain?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
musiclover

Meds and weight gain?

Post by musiclover »

I've researched but haven't found weight gain to be a stated side effect of either Requip or Ferrous Sulfate - both of which I started taking in the last few months. I've also gained a lot of weight in the last few months - rapidly.

Does anyone have any real life experience with either of these meds causing weight gain?

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

yes someone on this board i think gained 50 lbs. so it does make you gain weight.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Musiclover, if you do a search on it, you'll find many, many posts about gaining weight on some of these meds, the DAs (dopamine agonists, of which Requip is one) included. Th side effects were for PD patients - obviously they have different issues with their brain chemistry, as they sometimes lose weight. . .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

she's right, because I have lost weight 30 lbs to be exact, so you never know. i think mine has to do with the pain meds though.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945