Flu Shot

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
FidgetBoy

Flu Shot

Post by FidgetBoy »

Just wanted to stop in and say that I've discovered that a flu shot I got on Monday has REALLY caused my RLS to ramp up... I'm not sure if I'm alone in this or not? I always get small fevers from the shots but this year I noticed that my legs and even my arms have really not responded well. It's Wed and it's finally getting a bit better but last night I had to take 2 oxycontin before my legs and arms would stop jerking. :shock:
Josh

ctravel12

flu shot

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Josh
No the flu shot did not seem to bother me. So sorry that it did that to you. I just recently had a bad sinus infection and the cough medicine I took did a number on my legs one night so decided to not take it unless it was extremely necessary. I hope that you are feeling much better.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hey, Josh. I was just wondering where you were - a few of you have been quiet lately.

I'm sorry to hear that the flu shot affected you. I didn't get one this year. I don't recall a problem the last two years I did. Hmmmm. . . .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

That's one thing I'm terrified to get...a flu shot.
I've heard so many weird things about them. Some of the guys at work get them and get sick for a few days. Matter of fact, they recommend getting them on Friday in case you a reaction.

I've been taking Dilauded for a couple days. I'm in a lot of pain, lower back, butt and legs. My back went out at work after trying to lift one of those old steel desks. I'm not even sure what category Dilauded (didlaudid?) falls into but I haven't had any RLS symptoms. My Dr. told me to stop taking Hydrocodone while I was taking Dilauded.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Randy, don't you know you're not supposed to life heavy things????? That's for those young people to do. Not that you are old - far from it. You're just not, well, young :? .

Dilaudid is in the opioid family. It should work nicely on the RLS since other opioids work for you. Enjoy the respite.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

BeanieLee

Post by BeanieLee »

Randy, Diluadid is a potent narcotic. It's hydromorphone - synthetic morphine. I've been taking it for a month or so and it's great for my legs. I switch back and forth occassionally between dilaudid and hydrocodone to kind of take a break from each one so that they maintain efficacy for me. I'm glad to hear they bring you relief. They sure do wonders for me. I switched from 2mg pills to 4mg pills but that's because I have a pretty high tolerance for pain meds, having taken hydrocodone for quite a while. Did you get the dilaudid for your legs or was that a completely seperate thing your doctor gave you becuase you hurt yourself? Either way, you may want to tell him that it's effective for your rls so that you might continue treatment with that. Good luck. Hope you feel better too! No more desk lifting for you.
The light of a good character surpasseth the light of the sun

BeanieLee

Post by BeanieLee »

Also, I've never even been tempted to get a flu shot so I don't know about that but I can vouch for the antihistamines & cold medicines. I got sick in august and took lots of tylenol cold and sinus and man was I doing a horizontal tap dance, for three days straight. Horrible! I've been permanently scared away from cold medicines. I've also found that wine is a really brutal culprit, when it wears off. I'm sure that's not really anything new to anyone though.
The light of a good character surpasseth the light of the sun

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

I am wondering if I experienced worsening RLS due to the subsequent "feverish, tad bit sick" feeling I get after my flu shots? I know when I have a virus or bacterial infection, my legs take off- BIG time. So perhaps the reaction I experienced was due to my body's weird reaction to the shot. At any rate, it sucked!

By the way---Hi Ann! I know I've been absent for a little while. I needed to take a break from pharmacy-related stuff. It can be exhausting. I'm sure you're enjoying the same warm weather down in Chicago that we are! I've been doing home projects... long walks with my dachshund.... celebrating election results. How are things with you?
Josh

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ah, the election. I'm sure some people here are not doing the happy dance that some of us are!

I am just toooooo busy. I am working my fingers to a stub on a large commission for stained glass panels. They are going into an Irish Pub/restaurant. It's a tight, tight timeline. So, not much time for me to be here, either. I get here once in the morning, and once before bed. And hope the trolls are not visiting in between - or that if they are, Lynne has more time to be here than I do!

The weather is gorgeous!

Managing Your RLS