Lexapro, making my legs worse

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
CJ64

Post by CJ64 »

Help!!! My Dr. prescribed Lexapro for my depression and anxiety and my legs have been going crazy from day one of taking it. I have been taking it, relunctently, for two weeks now. I am about ready to stop because my legs are so bad. I also take an Ativan to help me sleep but I wake up almost every hour. I have been suffering from Restless Legs since my 20's and I am 64 now. I haven't found anything that has helped completely, as yet. I was on Mirapex and Neurontin for about two years but had to quit Mirapex because of impulsive gambling. I tried Requip but it did not help. I do not want to take anything that alters my thinking. Can anyone help?

Kwazylegs

Post by Kwazylegs »

CJ64,
Unfortunately for those of us who suffer from depression, most of the antidepressants currently available also exacerbate our RLS. I'm 58, and have had RLS for most of my life. I also have depression and anxiety, and have tried most of the antidepressants, and I've found that Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac and the older tricyclic antidepressants have all made my RLS worse. So I've had to do a balancing act with medications to deal with the three problems. About four years ago, a psychiatrist prescribed clonazepam (klonopin) for panic attacks which were really affecting my ability to function. These panic attacks were occuring even though I was taking Ativan throughout the day. When I started the clonazepam, which has a much longer duration of action than Ativan, the panic attacks ceased, and I found I was sleeping better. Lately, I've been having pain in my right leg, which I believe is related to my RLS/PLMS. My doctors are trying to find an orthopedic problem (lower spine), which might be causing this pain which now runs from my lower back down to my foot. Sorry for making this so long, but I'm trying to give you my background so that you might identify with some of my problems and possible solutions. I think that I might finally be getting close to a cocktail of meds that for now seem to be improving the RLS/PLMS, depression/anxiety, and leg pain. I take Wellbutrin XL 300mg. in the mornings for my depressive symptoms, and I'm giving another try with .25mg Requip at 8PM for the RLS/PLMS. I take clonazepam .5mg twice a day which has kept my anxiety symptoms controlled for the past 4 years, and lately is helping me sleep. I'm also taking Trazodone 50mg, and Neurontin 800mg in the late evenings before bed. So, this is the combination of meds which I've arrived at (with the help of physicians), and which seem to be working for me. The thing that we all have to remember about medications is that they affect everyone differently. Most of the negative things said about medications come from those who had unacceptable adverse effects, and it's easy for any of us considering taking a medication to anticipate problems. The thing to remember is that the majority of people taking medications experience few adverse effects, and are helped by the meds...and those people generally don't share their successes because they're feeling better. The meds that I'm taking now seem to be helping me, but might not work well for you. I'm just grateful that I'm feeling better, and hope that something that I've mentioned here might help you too. Hoping you have a great day. ---Andy

ctravel12

lexapro, making my legs worse

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi CJ64 The info that Andy gave you was great. I also was on Requip and could not take it and now I am on clonazapem .5mg just at night. I am very forntunate as I am doing fine and hope that it continues. Other members will post and give some wonderful advise. This is a wonderful supportive group and will help anyway they can. Also read alot of the old and new posts as they are very informative and has a lot of wonderful knowledge.
Andy, good to see you back posting again and glad that you are doing much better.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi, Andy

Well, all I can add is Kwazylegs and cttravel gave you great advice and information. I am prone to despression, as well, but can't take any anti-D's. Wellbutrin was the one that bothered my legs the least, but I couldn't continue using it. I also use .5 mg. Klonopin (Clonazepam) nightly and it seems to help me.

As both of the above posts emphasized, everyone is different. But, anti-d's, antihistamines and most anti-nauseates (is that how you say that? lol) do exacerbate RLS. If you look under "Find a support group" and look for the So. CA Support Group, you'll find a medical alert card, which you can print, that lists all of the drugs that exacerbate RLS.

Good luck to you. Please keep us posted.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Kwazylegs

Post by Kwazylegs »

Hi Charlene,
I know I haven't been posting lately. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to make people feel more hopeless/helpless by talking about my treatment failures. And at other times, I hesitate to comment about any success I've had, for fear that the improvements might be only temporary, and then I'd have to mention that also, again dragging people down. It's so easy to think like that, and lose sight of the reality of this forum...that we all will experience successes and failures periodically, but unless we share all of our experiences, our chances of helping someone else are dramatically reduced. So I have to remember that anything that I post here, good or bad, might help somebody (including myself), but my silence will never make that opportunity possible. It's great coming back here, and hearing from all of you. So, thanks Charlene, and to all of you who share their experiences here so that we might lift up somebody who's down, support those who need encouraging, and sincerely express our happiness to those who are doing well. By doing these things, we ourselves are made to feel better, even though our own pains and frustrations still persist. ---Andy

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Oh Andy, do not feel that way. Please tell us anytime how you feel, good or bad. That is why we are here. It does not make any difference to us as all of us here just want to give you the supoort that you deserve. You have certainly given alot of support to alot of people including myself. Remember, we are one big family and we love you. I know when I was down when my husband was away you were there for me and the encouraging words you said were great. We all learn from each other so please do not stop posting.
Right now I am doing fine and sure hope that it continues. You are a good person and you do not drag people down. Keep up the good work. Remember, we all have our good and bad days so that is why I say Taking one day at a time. Gad all that I need now is a soap box now and then you will probably me turn me off :lol: Take care my friend and have a good day.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Absolutely DITTO to what Charlene said, Andy. Every bit of it! So, please keep posting, whether you're up or you're down, we are here. And, who knows? Something you say may be just the tonic I need for the day!

Hugs
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Andy, sounds like you've worked it out in your head and heart. Whatever you feel, hope you feel comfortable enough to share it and keep coming back. (Jeez, that sounds like a 12-step thing :wink: ) I, for one, missed you. So, glad you worked through it and found your way back.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

snyderra

Post by snyderra »

I was on Lexapro, too, and it had plenty of side effects other than making my legs go crazy. I switched to Wellbutrin, and everything cleared up! I take Requip now, but when I was taking Lexapro, I was on clonazepam. That, however, left me feeling really "hungover" in the morning---like I'd been hit by a truck!

Good luck!

brandy

Post by brandy »

The CA RLS support group mentions Wellbutrin, Remeron and Serone as optional antidepressants. And, Andy, we are family. We are comforted by each others' journeys. I don't think anyone would begrudge a success and we all have strength that we can offer when you feel that things are at their worst. I'm glad you're back. You have already helped with this thread. As Queen Lynne said, we all have something to contribute.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

I, on the other hand, can take all antidepressants (Lexapro and Wellbutrin are working pretty well), antihistimines, antiemetics (for nausea) pain medications, etc. I'm the one in a thousand. BUT I am takiing Requip, and have taken Clonazepam and Neurontin for years, they are the group that keeps me sleeping. I still get antsy on planes, sometimes on long auto trips, but that subsides if I take a Requip. I feel truly fortunate to be able to take the medications that help all my symptoms of all illnesses so far.
Jenny

Holland

Getting rid of restless leg syndrome: a natural cure

Post by Holland »

a secret that my doctor told me about restless leg sydrome: a common problem that can easily be fixed with a simple home remedy is now being mass marketed by greedy drug companies...but the main ingredient in these expensive drugs for "restless leg syndrome" is one that you can find in your local grocery store:

Quinine, I believe it's called, is the main ingredient in tonic water and will alleviate all of the symptoms of restless legs at night/day. Give it a trial run, and if it helps, please spread the word. There should be no need to buy expensive drugs for such an easy remedy as this.

ctravel12

lexapro, making my legs worse

Post by ctravel12 »

Welcome to the board Holland. I am glad that quinine is working for you. The only thing (and please anyone else please correct me if I am wrong) is that quinine is for leg cramps.

I hope that all works out fine for you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

eliza

Post by eliza »

Hi Holland,

Tonic water works for me too, but only once, then not again for awhile. So I save it for when I'm desparate and have to sit through a meeting or something. If I save it for rare occasions, it's a Godsend. I always keep a bottle of the stuff in my car.

Elizabeth :- )

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Holland, I am sorry to say that your doc is not informed about this. Quinine, is studies, only works for about 3-5 percent of the RLS population. There is even some speculation that if quinine works, it wasn't RLS in the first place, but rather leg cramps. I hope he continues to learn more about it and stop saying things like that. It makes it so hard for us when people think that - then we can't get the proper treatment we need.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.