new medication???

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
rrcole

new medication???

Post by rrcole »

I was at a pharmacy yesterday and the pharmasist told me that he recently read about a new medication that was having super results with RLS, said it was just finishing clinical trials and in the process of being released. He could not remember what it was called, but had read about it in a medical jounal. anyone have any ideas about what it could be????

rrcole

Post by rrcole »

I just read the post about Safinamide a little further down, could that be what he is talking about?

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

I don't know of any new meds. But Mirapex is one med that is new only as an official FDA approved drug for treatment of RLS. Previously Mirapex was just recognized for off label use.

Requip is also an official drug from RLS. But there could be a new experimental drug that is showing promise in studies that I don't know about. I would love it if that is the case.
Last edited by Hos on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

rrcole wrote:I just read the post about Safinamide a little further down, could that be what he is talking about?

I don't think so. Here's an interesting article about that drug and 2 others coming out when I'm an old man. :shock: Close, they're coming out in 2008-2013.

It also mentions the year 2 meds go generic: Mirapex (2011) and Requip (2008).

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/heal ... RLS_market

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hos, you found them. There are posts about them here, somewhere, too.

From what I understand, trials usually only run a few weeks to a few months, and only on particular patients. Given that criteria, Requip and Mirapex show 70-100% rates of effectiveness. Hmmmm. . .so how come many of us can't use them? Well, they don't include people who are difficult to treat, who have severe RLS, and they don't test them past 3 months. That's when many of the problems like augmentation start. According to these studies, augmentation is non-existent.

So, even if our docs tell us that the studies are showing wonderful results, it seems to me that we might not have the same luck. The majority of us will, but some of us will not. Until they figure out what causes RLS and can actually deal with that - instead of dealing with what is caused by the problem (low dopamine) - we will not have any drugs that have more than 70-80% rates of success - and those rates are initial rates, not over many months or even years. Those rates are probably at best 50-60% and as low as a few percent.

The best thing about them is that is gives all of us another option - adds something to the mix that may help us when we are not one of the people helped by the other drugs.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cruiser

I've been on a new experimental drug

Post by cruiser »

:D I started using a new experimental drug this past summer. It currently goes by the name of XP13512. It is put out by the Xenoport. It is AMAZING!!!! When I started filling out all of the questionaires to see if I qualified, they said that I had the highest score locally. I had severe RLS. There were nights when I didn't get more than a couple hours of sleep. Within days of starting on this med. (it was a double-blind study), I experienced no more kicking, and nearly all of my leg "knots" were gone. Those that did occur were few and far between and much less severe. I also, finally, got 8-9 hours of sleep at night. The only side effect that I experienced was sleepiness. I wasn't complaining about that! I just finished up the blind part of the study last month and gladly joined the unblind extended study for the next year. I'm getting the drug for free, getting paid to be their "guinnea pig," and have relief from my RLS. I also learned that this drug will be FDA approved in February. For those of you out there who are seeing a Dr. for RLS, keep an eye open for this to come on the market. I highly recommend it (although I don't know what the name of the drug will be). The only downside that I've heard is that it will be a bit pricey when it first hits the market.
I may live in the south, but I'm a yankee for life

ctravel12

new medication

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Cruiser and welcome to this site. What wonderful news that your rls is under control. Thank you for sharing this with us. You have found a wonderful and supportive group.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

I hope that 2007 is a very good year for you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

hey cruiser, welcome! i used to work in newnan, ga. glad you are getting some relief for your rls.

live in the north, but southern born and southern bred! woo hoo!

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Here is a link the XP13512:

http://www.xenoport.com/product/xp13512.htm

XP13512 is descriped as a Transported Prodrug of gabapentin and is designed to improved the effectiveness of gabapentin.

1st time I've posted a link and it may not get you there directly but will work if you type it in your browser or google XP13512

Shalom

M.