Quinine Questions

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Joby924

Quinine Questions

Post by Joby924 »

Hi there.
My doctor has just called in a script for quinine for me. Does anyone have any experience with this medication? I thought it was for malaria.
I have tried Requip but had severe side effects after 3months. Other meds that I still take, as needed, are percocet and xanax.
Thank you in advance for any information you have.
~ Jenn
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

huh, I did a search on this site and on rlshelp.org but so far it appears that quinine mainly helps with leg cramps which is different then RLS.

You might read, copy, and send a copy of the RLS Algorithm to your doctor. (Link is in my signature below.) If it were me, I'd go ahead and try Mirapex (although it will likely end up like Requip did). Then go on to step #2 then #3, etc. etc. listed on the Algorithm.

Hope you can find some relief soon and welcome to the board! :)

Joby924

Thanks!

Post by Joby924 »

Thank you so much for the quick response :D

One question, are the pictures important in that algorithm? I can never get them to load.
I'm supposed to see my doctor on Dec 07 and will discuss different treatments then - and will take a copy of the algorithm with me. I figured I would just give the quinine a try - what the heck, can't hurt (I think) :?
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

I don't know. The link in my signature does not have any pics so try that one.

ctravel12

quinine questions

Post by ctravel12 »

Jenn, I also tried quinine and what Hos says is correct. It is not for rls just for leg cramps. It did not help me whatsoever.

On the Mayo Clinic Algorithm I think that you just need to copy the information to take to your dr. I would not bother downloading the pictures, and if I am wrong, please if any other members know correct me as I do not get offended.

Good luck with your Dec. 7 appt. and please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

BeanieLee

Post by BeanieLee »

I've also tried quinine in the past and while it can help with some of the tense cramping sensations it does not provide overall relief for rls symptoms. Some leg sensations and pains may be caused by nocturnal cramping that you may not even be aware of though! So as long as it's not bothering you to take it, you may want to stick with it for a month or so to see if it eases your symptoms.
The light of a good character surpasseth the light of the sun

brandy

Post by brandy »

Did I understand correctly that your next appointment is December 2007? Honey, you need to get some help before then! It sounds like your doctor needs some education. Print the Algorithm and take it with you. Hopefully the doctor will be impressed with your initiative and work hard to help you get some relief. Welcome to the board and good luck.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

quinine is for leg cramps you can buy it over the counter at any drug store. print off the algorithim and if your doc doesn't pay any attention to it maybe you should be in the market for a new doctor.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

eliza

Post by eliza »

Quinine (in tonic water) helps my restlessness in addition to the cramps and buzzing, but only temporarily, and then it quits working. So I save it for when I'm out-and-about and desparate. It's like I get one shot at it in a great while. I'm sure it's not all in my mind. Well, then again . . . Hahaha - nothing would surprise me.

ctravel12

quinine questions

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Elizabeth
I am so glad that you joined our group. You give some wonderful advise andI know that is a relief to some of the newbies here.

I am also glad that you are doing better. Please do not stop posting. Enjoy reading all of our posts. Have a good day.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

JeffInMonterey

Post by JeffInMonterey »

Please read up on quinine therapy. I recently read of a woman who had been taking it for a long time and developed SERIOUS blood problems. sorry I can't remember the medical name, but I do remember that Wake University helped her find what the problem was. She was on Dialysis for several months. I read a newspaper column by Dr.Gott, a syndicated medical question and answer column. She did not say she had RLS, but did have leg cramps at night.