Withdrawal from Klonopin

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Anonymous

Withdrawal from Klonopin

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Withdrawal is possible with anything, I'm sure, Emily. Especially with someone as sensitive to meds as you are. You seem to be being very careful. However, if you're having unusual symptoms or feel bad, maybe you could call our pharmacist or doctor to see what's up.

I do know that you have to be very careful when coming off of Klonopin. I've had withdrawal from several drugs, probably Klonopin (I was on a very high dose), but I can't remember what symptoms I had with it.

I hope someone else comes along who knows more about this than me.

You take care, honey.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yes, Em, you can have symptoms even if you go slowly. Mine were horrid. It took me longer to stop the K than I actually took it (took it for six or seven months, took me seven or eight to stop). From my research, about 50% of us have no problems stopping at all - some can even stop cold turkey (though not a good idea). The other 50%? Well, we have it much more difficult. Some people take two to three years to stop a benzo if they have been on it for years and take a reasonbly high dose.

Cutting by a 1/4 of a pill may not be the best method if you are having problems. Calculate the whole amount you take, then cut by 1/5 to 1/10 of that total. I had to cut by 1/10 in order to keep the symptoms to the minimum. If I cut more than that, I was sick. If you can't cut that small amount, see if you can get wafers prescribed. They are much larger and can be cut up much more easily into smaller parts.

Symptoms range but can include excessive tiredness, nausea and vomiting, chills/fever, joint pain, and more. I thought I was starting to have fibro at first - I hurt all over. Then the nausea and chills started. Thought I had the flu. My doctor was checking all kinds of things. I finally put it together on the fifth or sixth day. I actually lost quite a bit of weight because I was so sick I didn't eat - just napped on the couch and vomited when I was awake. Over time that got better, but I wasn't "normal" until I was completely off of it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hang on Sweetie! You're not alone--remember that.

Love you
Jan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, I remember how hard that was. RLS, exhaustion, no relief, and withdrawal from the K. Ugh.

I don't want to start a fight with anyone, but I don't necessarily believe that we only get what we can handle. Were that so, people wouldn't commit suicide. But, I do believe - and strongly - that we are amazingly strong and can handle much more than we ever think is possible. Use whatever you need and what works for you. And find new sources as best you can - whether it's faith, a support group, your friends and family, us, clergy, counselors. . anything goes.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Emily

Ann said:

I don't want to start a fight with anyone, but I don't necessarily believe that we only get what we can handle. Were that so, people wouldn't commit suicide. But, I do believe - and strongly - that we are amazingly strong and can handle much more than we ever think is possible. Use whatever you need and what works for you. And find new sources as best you can - whether it's faith, a support group, your friends and family, us, clergy, counselors. . anything goes.

Actually, I agree with her. I think there are sometimes events or things that happen to us which require us to get help from an outside source, like a counselor, a support group, etc. I've been in that position in my life, and I'm not ashamed or embarassed to say that I've been to therapy a few times.

I'm sure I've repeated the saying "what doesn't kill us will make us stronger." And, there's "God never gives us more than we can handle." Well, I believe that sometimes, we are "given" more than we can handle by ourselvesf, and that's when it's important to seek help. Ann gave you some great advice, honey.

You're going through so much right now, maybe it would be a good idea to talk to someone who is trained to help you through some of this. I was in what I thought was a desperate situation and I needed professional help. It happens to so many people who get a good night's sleep every night. Just add sleep deprivation and that crazy feeling in your face---I don't see how you stand it, Emily.

Ann is also right when she said that we are "amazingly strong and can handle more than we ever think is possible." But, sometimes you have to clear out some things before you see that in yourself. Please continue to let us know how you are.

Love,
Jan

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Emily,

When I went to a therapist, she used cognitive therapy and gave me "homework". You'd be surprised how much it would help, most likely. It's was not easy at first for me, but after each visit, I began to see how much it helped.

I may need it again, someday. I think the important thing here is that you have someone you can talk to--preferably a professional. It's worth a try, anyway, I think. You are way too worthy, Emily, to suffer like you are.

Love
Jan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Jan has an interesting point - she said her therapist was a cogntive behaviorist. You really have to interview anyone you want to see to find out how they will help you. There are hundreds of ways to practice. I was a psych major and wanted to be a therapist. When I realized that everyone follows a different philosophy, I changed my mind. I couldn't decide how to pick the "right" one to follow.

As I've gotten older, I've decidied that they all have their place. But not for the same problems. . .and not all work for all personalities.

Seems that you have to ask them what they plan to do, how they have helped others like you, what their background is, if they are a humanist, behaviorist, cognitive, cog-behaviorist, etc. And most of us don't have a clue what those distinctions mean. I guess asking is not so they can name it, but describe how this mean they work with patients. It's so important to get someone who works in a meaningful way for you and the problem itself.

Emily, you identified one of the biggest problems - when you feel like you do, how the heck do you get the energy to do all of this? Heck, it's hard enough to just pick up the phone book, let alone ask all these questions of them. I've always thought we needed a group practice - that had therapists from several disciplines. Someone could do intake and match them to the 'best' person based on the needs and personalities.

Well, I digress as usual. I guess my only point is that I know it's really hard. And that if it doesn't work, there is probably someone else out there that will work.

I wonder if there is a twelve step group or other similar like group for grieving or chronic illness? If not, maybe we should start one!

Managing Your RLS

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandy

Post by brandy »

Emily - You are a strong person. This would be enough to slay anyone. And you know you never have to apologize with us. We don't compare our struggles with each other's. We have all had our times of intense difficulty. And when we are in a season of easier times, we help each other. I absolutely agree that a professional is a good idea. I, too, have seen a counselor and it made a huge difference. I went when things were at their worst and I really thought I was going to lose my mind all together, or else actually chop my legs off or hit myself in the head with a hammer just to get some rest. She really helped. I was given homework and, when things are especially bad, some counselors will choose to meet with you more than once a week. You need some support, honey. You have us - you know that. But, we can't hold your hand or get you kleenex, and you need the physical presence of someone who loves you like we do. And, speaking as a minister, I get very frustrated when people say things like, "God doesn't give us more than we can handle." God did not give you this. This is not a test, this is not a punishment, this is not from God! But, what I do know is that God is with you and God loves you and we love you and we are with you in spirit and will do whatever we can to help you. I pray for you daily.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Emily,

Brandy said everything that was in my heart, but I couldn't find the words this morning. Honey, we do love you, and she's so right when she said this isn't a test. You have a horrible condition that is wrecking your life right now. Please call someone who can help you, who can be in the same room with you. I can tell you that it helps tremendously---it helped me so much and I may need the help again.

Much love
Jan

becat

Post by becat »

Tell me who says you can' t whine, scream, or yell about where your body is at. You let me know I'll educate them. Yes you can. And until this thing gtes to a better spot I want you here ranting and raving. I think it;s good for you and it is good for us. It's not like we can reach through and hold you while you scream, hug you while you cry, and stand back and catch what items you might wish to throw around the house. But We are here to listen and support and offer what we can.
I think we do that for each other pretty darn well.
But you, Em, Your right. I think something like RLS is a slow process and they might not say it kills us, but we have all felt it's hands around our necks. I felt that way before I found the board, I felt that way after I found the board, and since I have had my bouts. Only difference, I've had some wonderful, retreating breaks. You need a huge break darlin'.
You've gotten to the torked off stage of this and believe me it's a helpful place. You'll find that way to get your life back to where your in it, living well.
Yeah I see it with everyone else, your road has been long and so vewry hard. I can see why I'd be torked, you have a name for it, a doctor that is educated, and it treating it, so what is the deal? That was really when my treatment changed, of myself. I gave myself a break if I could find one. No need in running 100 miles a hour when your only peddling a tricycle. RIGHT? Find that break place and go there when you can. Drugged or not, you need a mental break from this, as well as a body that can help you fight.
You know we honestly wish we could all, each of us , wave a wand, make it go away. We can't so we pray. We think about you with positive spirits, we lift you up to the greater good of mankind and scream HELP HER.
It will happen. It will happen. It will happen.
I'd keep that blessed Dr. B. hopping til we found something. I know that he is every bit as driven for you as we are. he won't give up, and if he tries, let us know. LOL I still have my broom out and the engine is warm.
Honey so much love coming your way. it's ok to be mad and upset. And if you want to it's ok to seek someone to talk with you while you come down off of the meds and find the right ones.
What is wiht that FM group? Give me the number? I'll call them.
You've got me anytime you need me. Swear it on a stack of prescriptions.
Love you Lynne