24 Hour relief needed badly..

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
shellsabubs

24 Hour relief needed badly..

Post by shellsabubs »

I am currently taking Requip 2mg. I have taken Requip XR, Mirapex, Klonopin, and Ambien over the last 10 years. I was diagnosed with RLS 18 years ago when I was oly 10 years old and have noticed as I have gotten older that my symptoms have gotten much worse. I am having much earlier afternoon symptoms and daytime symptoms. I can't take the Requip earlier because it makes me sleepy and so naseous.

Does anyone know of any other medication that I can ask my Dr. about that controlls the RLS for 24 hours? I am at my witts end! I am tired of being tired... and tired of not being able to relax at night because I can't sit still.

Please let me know if you know of anything that has worked for you that controls symptoms longer.

Thanks!

brandy

Post by brandy »

There are a number of things that can work. You will want to check out the Mayo Clinic Algorithm (would someone mind to post a link to it for me?). I am currently on 1200 mg Neurontin and 200 mg Ultram. It is the only combo that has worked for me. One of the keys to RLS is that everyone is different and, unfortunately, you sometimes have to experiment with different drugs in different combinations to find what works for you. Another important factor is a doctor who is willing to work with you. That, too, can make all the difference. Welcome to the family. So sorry that you are here. Those of us who have been suffering with RLS since childhood can relate to your struggle. Please let us know what we can do to help.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Shells, it may be that the Requip itself is causing it to be worse (though it can worse over time, too.). Maybe a break from a DA (dopamine agonist such as Mirapex and Requip) is in order. There are some posts about augmentation - please read and see if they apply. I know the main info is in the "sticky" in this section.

Also, find the sticky in the New to RLS section on managing RLS. This has great info for you and your doc. Including the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. It will help you determine (with your doc) what the next best steps are.

Glad you found us. Hope you find info and support here. . .pretty sure you will :wink: .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

The best success I've had so far with my symptoms, which are invariably 24 hrs a day, has been the longer acting narcotics. It took a long time to get used to-but I've slowly moved to oxycontin for my symptoms and extremely pleased with the results. The issue for you would be to find a doctor who would be willing to change you over to a narcotic. I'm sure others will jump in here as others on narcotics have a particular favorite!
Josh

ctravel12

24 hour relief needed badly

Post by ctravel12 »

Welcome shellsabubs
I am so sorry that you have rls, but you have found an excellent support group. You said that you are takine requip XR, Mirapex, klonopin and ambien.

It sounds like you are augmenting (have rls anytime of the day or night). I used to take Requip and also took 2mg and it also made me nauseated. I used to split the dosages - took .5mg at 6pm my time and .5mg about 1-2 hrs before retiring. When I did that it did not make me nauseated but I still had rls 24/7 and very painful. I used a pill cutter - I know they shaped very odd, but they can be cut in half.

I take 1mg of clonazapem and it works for me, however what works for one may not work for another.

It looks like you were taken a cocktail of meds and does not seem to work. When you go to your dr, ask him what else can be taken. I cannot give any info. on medical since I do not have a medical background, but will be there to support you anyway that I can.

Please let us know what the dr says. We are there for you all of the way. Maybe not physically, but will be there mentally for you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Neco

Post by Neco »

The only things that come to mind would be to try time released painkillers, like Oxycontin, I believe Tramadol (Ultram) may have a time release formula now as well.

I've been on and off nearly everything and narcotics have always been able to give 100% relief (except for codeine which gives about 90% but very tolerable relief). I would suggest maybe giving some Tylenol 3(or 4), or Vicodin (Hydrocodone) a try; working it into your current regiment of medicine and keeping them alternating. That way you won't be taking so much of any one thing and developing tolerance/rebound/augmentation, etc from being on any one class of medicine for too long

You definitely don't want to ask for Oxycontin outright, as most doctors tend to flinch, so asking for something weaker may earn you a more favorable opinion.. I know my doctor has given me Oxycodone one or two times, but I think that's only because I've shown to be a pretty educated and responsible patient.. Ultimately I opted not to take them because I was gonna end up eating them like candy trying to replicate my hydrocodone buzz (they are distinctly different for some reason). As long as you can show you're doing your best to be responsible and not consuming HUGE amounts of painkillers I would hope your doctor would consider it. I think I lucked out personally, because I've shown a clear tendancy towards substance abuse, but I've also never tried to lie to my doctor either.. So just remember that one thing, if you ever get prescribed painkillers and they work and you want to keep them, you have to be honest with the doctor, even when you mess up. I usually take 1 or 2 forced holidays a year myself.

Right now I'm on a 1 month vacation from my Vicodin so I'm roughing it out myself too.. (you wouldn't believe how many OTC benadryl knockoff brands I take to knock myself out).

I do have a prescription for Oxazepam too. I can't attest to how it will make you feel but it's not like other sedatives, (its the end product that most sedatives are converted into (or so I've heard) won't give you a buzz before it knocks you out) and kind of just knocks you out. You may feel a bit of a hangover depending on how much you take too, but usually 1 or 2 pills does it for me (@ 15mg)