Another 1st post//tolerance or side effect?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Sojourner

Another 1st post//tolerance or side effect?

Post by Sojourner »

Sorry if this is redundant...After taking 1 to 2 tabs daily, or nearly daily, of Vicodin 500 (for about 18 mos) initially for shoulder/back pain and later to help relieve RLS symptom by taking the meds at night, I began having the nasal stuffiness mentioned in some posts and also a headache during the night and/or upon rising. Unfortunately, too often the headache devoloped into something akin to a 3 day migraine which led me to stop taking the Vicodin. I was able to stop the Vicodin with what I perceive as virtually no withdrawal symptoms. I tried going back to it after a couple of weeks but with a simialr response. I had the same experience with Sinemet.

Is this reflective of a tolerance for the med or a side effect? Is it possible that I might be able to go back to the Vicodin after a more extended layoff or is there a path that this type of medication response typically takes?

Have just become recently acquatinted with this site. The knowlede and sincere empathy displayed is humbling but more importantly admirable, comforting and uplifting. My sincerest wishes is that each of you find peace and relief from this too often misunderstood condition.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Mark

I don't know if I welcomed you or not, but just in case---welcome! I'm sorry you have a need for us, but so glad you found us.

You asked, in regard to Vicodin and your problems with it:

Is this reflective of a tolerance for the med or a side effect? Is it possible that I might be able to go back to the Vicodin after a more extended layoff or is there a path that this type of medication response typically takes?

I think you should ask your doctor and/or pharmacist if you have developed a tolerance of the meds or are experiencing a side effect ASAP. Please let us know what you find out. And, BTW, ask anything as often as you like. That's what we are here for---support!

Glad to have you with us.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Thanks for the welcome and reply. I'll ask next time I'm at the pharmacy or doctor.

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Welcome Mark. Have you tried other meds for RLS besides Sinemet? If you haven't already, please read the RLS Algorithm and make a copy for your doctor if necessary. (see link in my signature below) It gives a good roadmap of how experts suggest the medication therapy should go.

Happy reading,

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Hos, Again thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately in the sense I seem to at least be on the right track, I have made the rounds of many medications including requip. Had a very good run with Sinemet for nearly three years which according to the neuro may be a bit unusual. Other med attemps have not been long lasting due to ineffectiveness, side effects, etc. In any event since then, like many others, I have been a wanderer in the night searching to grab the brass ring. If I can't grab it, I hope others on the board, or not, can.

Shalom

becat

Post by becat »

Your one of the lucky ones my dear, 3 years on one meds, yahoo!
But as it happens for many of us here that hang out, we often need to move oc or simply just take a break from things.
Evrey doc and even some inside our expert community will have a different approach to this.
I am on my first drug holiday, hoping that is where this med change is going, for the first time in 4 years. So maybe just an adjustment, maybe a total change, or even an add of something might help. This is one of the perverbial questions for us all. LOL
I do hope you find that sense of home here. We are a family with many spaces left open in our hearts for people just like you. I say it all the time this board and these people certainly saved my life more than once. Great, wait, awesome bunch here.
Welcome and hope that it straightens out so soon for you. We love you being here and love you writing around the board as you wish.
Welcome Home.
Lynne/Becat

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

Welcome, Mark! One of the things that can occur with chronic use of products that contain tylenol (like Vicodin/percocet) and/or NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc) is a syndrome called "rebound headache". If you "google" rebound headaches, you can read a ton of websites that explain the phenomina. In short, the longer you take those products, the worse your headaches get. I would recommend switching to an opioid that does NOT contain tylenol. Stay away from codeine as well, as this has been implicated in rebound headaches. If I were you, I would switch to plain oxycodone. They come in 5 mg tabs and are fairly close in strength to one vicodin. (I think 5 mg of oxy = 7.5 mg of hydrocodone). Cheers.
Josh

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Thanks. I will do some research on rebound headaches as it sounds on point. Odd thing...I began taking Ultram which works quit well for me in controlling the rls but after about a week or so I seem to be experiencing the same sinus stuffiness/headache symptoms. Didn't think this would happen with the Ultram as it is different than the opiods. Mmmm.

Shalom

M.