Requip

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
HarryD

Requip

Post by HarryD »

I have been on Requip for over a year, but I went off it about two weeks ago. The side effects, I thought would go away, never left. It definitely stopped the leg movement at night, but it kept me awake most of the night. Also, I experienced itching on different parts of my body, without any rash or redness. Sometimes, I had little "shocks," sort of like being bitten by a mosquito. Just can't continue this way, so now I'm on Klonopin, which is working fairly well, but I don't know how long that will last. Does all this sound like just another hypochondriac, or has anyone else had similar experiences?
HD

ctravel12

requip

Post by ctravel12 »

Welcome HarryD You said that you have been on requip for over a year. What side effects are you having? You may be augmenting (having rls anytime of the day or night.

I used to take requip and did not work for me. My sleep habit was bad and I had rls 24/7 and was painful. I know take clonazapem and it is working for me.

With taking klonopin are you having any problems with your legs? What is the mg you are taken?

Let us know how you are doing.

With being new you may want to read the forum New to RLS "Managing RLS" there is an article on the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. If you are seeing a dr you may want to copy it and take it to him.

I know other members will post and give you good advise.

If you ever just want to talk, vent, etc. this is the place to do it. We will be here for you. You have found a good supportive and caring group.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

brandy

Post by brandy »

I was on Requip for 2 years and the nausea never went away. A lot of folks find that the side effects go away after a couple of weeks, but everyone reacts to medications differently. No one on this board is going to view you as a hypochondriac. We have all had weird symptoms and difficult struggles with meds. I hope that you find something that works for you. And keep in mind, some of us end up on a cocktail of more than one medication before we get relief. Good luck!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

jumpy

Requip

Post by jumpy »

I'm new too. I've had RLS for years. Just did not know it had a name. I've been on all the usual meds. (at least my doctor understands). We tried every AD on the market. Had some really bad side effects..I went to a sleep clinic..very wierd experience. Had a nerve conduction study. Found slight damage ( I am diabetic). Finally settled on Neurontin, Requip and Lortab 7.5. I'm taking the Lortab for pain in my legs. I think it has to do with the RLS because I sometimes wake up with it and other days it won't hit until late in the day. If I'm busy I don't notice it as much. But just let me sit down and it hits. Lucky I don' seem to have any of the side effects from the Requip or Neurontin or even the Lortab. I just do not want to get hooked on the drugs. My doctor says I may have no other choice. Anybody out there have really bad pain with the RLS ? This is a fairly new development with me. Pat

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi jumpy

Welcome to the forum, and if you've already been welcomed, welcome from me. :)

I'm so sorry you have RLS. Sounds like you have a couple of problems and that's a shame. I'm so glad you can tolerate Requip and Neurontin.

Regarding leg pain, a lot of us have painful RLS--some more severe than others. I think something like 4% of RLS sufferers have Painful RLS. You'll find lots of support here, jumpy. It's a great bunch of people, always willing to help each other. And, we always learn from new people, as well.

Thanks for taking the time to post about Requip. Hope to see more of you.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

HarryD

Requip

Post by HarryD »

Gee, since I joined four days before you, I get to be the "Oldtimer!" I can't give you advice, but I think you are very fortunate to be able to take such a cocktail of medications without having any side effects. I was on Requip quite a while and fought side effects until I finallly switched over to Klonopin. I share your concerns about addiction, also, but I was wearing down a path between kitchen, dining room and living room as I trod that route until 3:00 a.m. every night! You know, I never can decide whether to call it pain, spasms, events or attacks, but yes, I do think the discomfort was close to pain before I went on medication. Syntax aside, it was downright miserable anyway. I hope you will continue to keep us posted on your progress. Your physician must be well informed on this condition to come up with such a successful course of treatment. Stay with him/her. Trust me, there are still some docs out there who say, "Restless what...?" Good luck. I'm pulling for you!
HD

jumpy

Requip

Post by jumpy »

Thanks Jan and Harry, for answering so quick..It really helps to have someone out there -- that's been there. I'm going to the dr again for my 2x yearly blood workup.. I am considering asking him to try me on Requip in the moring also. I can always stop it if I start feeling strange. Maybe that will help with the during the day pain and I can cut back on the Lortab. I have noticed that cold sometimes makes the pain worse, so I invested in a heated electric lap throw..It helps and my little dog loves it. Have a great holliday....Pat

chamudie

RLS Pain

Post by chamudie »

Besides the weird feeling RLS gives me I have leg pain too, its pretty bad for me and affects my knees to my feet. I take Percoset for the pain, though some days its better and some days worse, but its always with me. My neuro wants me off the Percoset, however, I dont think he understands the discomfort. My family doctor is familiar with the problems of RLS and it is through her I get the Percoset. I have tried using requip only and dont see a difference, same with adding the clonex too. However, I noticed it seems worse when its cold?
Sue S
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"-Hunter S. Thompson

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

sue i know for me my sinemet does not work fully without a pain med. my rls is painful, to the point of crying. i finally got my neuro to understand this.

rls is a weird disease to treat, being that it's neurological it affects people in different ways. that is why it's so hard to have a specific cocktail to treat everyone. if you know the requip doesn't work without the pain med tell your doctor, i mean it's your body, you know how it feels, not he.

hugs dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945