Side effects of Requip

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
rumplestiltskin

Side effects of Requip

Post by rumplestiltskin »

Side effects of Requip. I have been on Requip for about 5 months and it does give me some relief at night, but only lasts 4 or 5 hours. The bad thing is the nausea, vomiting and extreme headaches I have to endure to get this amount of sleep. Anyone else have the same problem?

brandy

Post by brandy »

Many of us who have been on Requip have struggled with side effects. One of the indications on the Mayo Clinic Algorithm (can be found in the New to RLS section of this board) for moving to a different drug or different class of drug is intolerable side effects. You do not have to endure nausea, vomiting and extreme headaches. There are other alternatives in the same class and in other classes as well. I suggest you read the Algorithm, print it out, share it with your doctor and try a different course of action, especially if your relief only last 4-5 hours. Oh, and as I haven't seen you around the board before, let me offer a word of welcome. We are here to help. Keep us updated.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Rumple, I am moving this post to the Pharmaceutical section in case someone doesn't read this section, but does that one.

Brandy had great advice. You don't need to settle for all those side effects. First thing you can try is splitting your dose. It does work for some. Second, it try another drug in that class - Mirapex is the most likely. Then, if that doesn't work, see if you can take less of one of these and add a little something else - the "cocktail" method. The algorithm that Brandy mentioned can be found by clicking on the link in my signature.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jbrinkley

Post by jbrinkley »

Rumple, I had problems with requip too. I found that if I took it with a snack it wasn't as bad. I had problems with sweating and nausea too. I am no longer taking it for those reasons, but you might want to try taking it with a snack.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I need to go in and add my long list of medication side effects from various drugs to the "side effects" thread, but here's what happened with Requip:

Yucky nausea, shivering and extreme chills (had to put on a hooded sweatshirt and wrap up in a blanket every night after I took it), extreme sinus stuffiness (more like swelling than congestion), and augmentation after only a 7-8 weeks.

Not only that, but I had to keep leaving parties and curtail my evening activities so that I could go home and take the misery-inducing drug.

But hey, now I can say I tried it and it was horrible. On to the next thing.

Susan

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Oh, I forgot - After the nausea went away, about 3 hours after I took the Requip, I had terrible nighttime munchies. I'm trying to lose weight, and that made it difficult.

Susan

Oh, and by the way - The nurse practitioner at the sleep clinic said that chills and shivering isn't on her list of side effects of Requip, and insinuated that therefore I couldn't have that side effect. :roll:

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I get chills and shivers too from Requip, have had them for 4 years. But not always and I think I have them specifically after a bad night.

Corrie

brandy

Post by brandy »

It's so frustrating to be treated like you don't know what's happening with your own body! I was hoping that rumplestiltskin had an update for us. How you doin'?
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer