Topomax with Mirapex ?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
susieandirenes

Topomax with Mirapex ?

Post by susieandirenes »

Have spent the last 2 hours here and am 'fortified' now!

When I told my neuro that I was having trouble with my legs during the day now and asked him about Vicadin (explaining that others with RLS found relief) he said he didn't want to give me that because I would be
'depending' on it and that is not a good thing...............Ag-g-g-g-g!

Instead, he gave me samples of something called Topomax (for migrains) to take. I have not taken it........does anyone know anything about
Topomax? I don't seem to see it mentioned anywhere here.

Thanks to all of you for what you do!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Topamax is probably not the best place to start if you haven't tried other things. I only say that because of the amount of side effects it has. A few years ago, Topamax was a 'wonder' drug and doc were giving it for everything including weight loss. But, if you google it, you'll find that there are many problematic side effects. I heard - but do not know if it's true - that newer studies recommended that this NOT be used for anything except its original intent.

It is an anti-convulsant, a class of drugs often used for RLS. Neurontin is the most common. But, there are many others - and our members have been on many of these over the years.

I'd go back and ask for Tramadol. If you know that opioids work, Tramadol may do the same. It's not an opioids (exactly), but works similarly to one, without the problems with dependence, etc. It also has an "awakening" effect for some (not everyone).

Have you read the algorithm? Click on the link in my signature below. It will take you to a thread with all sort of links, including the algorithm. This can be printed and taken to your doctor, too, so he or she knows that opioids ARE an acceptable alternative.

Happy continued reading!

Oh, one thing to add. . are you taking REquip or Mirapex at night? Could it be that your daytime RLS is new and you haven't had it before? If either of these are true, read the post on augmentation - it's in the sticky post in the Pharma section. See if that applies. For some of us, the DAs make the RLS worse. When you haven't had RLS during the day before, but suddenly you have it and you've been taking one of the DAs, it's a strong possibility that the drugs are causing it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.