Pergolide and Cabergoline (Permax, Dostinex)

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
eliza

Pergolide and Cabergoline (Permax, Dostinex)

Post by eliza »

Did anyone notice the AP article on the Parkinson’s / RLS drugs Pergolide and Cabergoline? The article titled “Parkinson’s drugs may be riskier than thought” says that a recent study shows there are irreversable heart valve problems similar to those associated with fen-phen. According to the article, “Moderate to severe valve problems were seen in 23 percent of those on pergolide and nearly 29 percent of those on cabergoline but none of those on other Parkinson's drugs and less than 6 percent of the comparison group. The study was paid for by the Milan clinic and two Parkinson's foundations” and was reported in the New England Journal of Medicine. You can read the article at http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070104/ap_ ... on_s_drugs (accessed 1/3/07).

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hey Eliza :)

Thanks for the article link.

It's not just heart problems, but lung problems linked to these two drugs as well.

I was on Cabergoline for the better part of two years and my GP finally made the decision to take me off it due to the high risk of pulmonary fibrosis. I was up to 5mg/day and had developed a dry cough that was so prominent that I would barely be able to string a few words together before disolving into a violent coughing fit.

I was on Permax for a few months as well and also developed the same cough.

Take care of you!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

We also need to remember that A) this is only with the ergot-derived medications (Requip and Mirapex are non-ergot DAs) and B) if you still must take these, you can have regular check-ups that greatly reduce the already low risk.

However, that is why Requip and Mirapex are the recommended DAs to try and the others should only be tried after several others are tried and do not work.

The new DAs in the FDA pipeline are also non-ergot.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

fulltimemartins

Post by fulltimemartins »

I have been on permax for about 4 years for my rls. I had my regular appt. with my doc the day after this report came out and he did not say anything about it and usually he is quick to take me off anything that will add to heart problems as I am also diabetic so my chances of heart problems is a bit higher. The permax works for me sometimes and sometimes not. I suppose it is like all the rest....I go off it sometimes and back on it because I have found nothing that works for me on a regular basis. The past several nights I have spent walking the floor, kicking my legs, and even falling asleep standing up. Oh well.........the joys of rls!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Definitely call him back and set up an appointment for a test for you heart - an echocardiagram, I think. From what I understand, you should have one annually while on Permax - regardless of dose. One of the women on the Yahoo board was on small dose - had open heart surgery a few years ago. She is only 49 now.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.