I'll Sleep When I'm Dead

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
tazzer

Post by tazzer »

speaking of records , those big black round objects that music comes out of when you stick a needle on it and spin it round! they have come up with a new gadget that you can record all your albums to ipod type thing. just think your scratches and squeaks all in digital sound. woohoo

hmmm lyrics i like jimmy buffett

margaritaville!!

favorite line blew out my flip flop, stepped on a pop top, cut my heel had to cruuuuuuuze on back home!

you have to admit that tune just makes you feel good when you hear it, just picture yourself laying on the beach and sucking down margarita's
sigh!

lol ok that ought to get u going R

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

tazzer wrote:favorite line blew out my flip flop, stepped on a pop top, cut my heel had to cruuuuuuuze on back home!
dee

It's a classic Tazmania...no less, and it DOES make you feel good.

Wait, did I just agree with you? oh boy.

Josh (or anyone else)...my prescription says Hydrocodone/APAP
Is that the bad stuff...the APAP? or am I OK?
I know you've probably explained this to me before, I just have a hard time with the technical stuff. Sorry.

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Yeah, you're taking the one with Tylenol. For instance, if it says "HYDROCODONE/APAP TABS 10/500" then yer taking the unnecessary 500 mg. of Tylenol and 10 mg. of the "good stuff."

I think codine and hydromorphone are examples of pain meds without tylenol but I'm not sure about that part.

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

Yep- you got it right, hos. The following are oral narcs that are available withOUT tylenol (APAP, acetaminophen):

Codeine, hydromorphone (dilaudid), methadone, oxycodone or oxycontin, morphine or ms contin. Meperidine (demerol) is also available oral but no-one uses it due to it's abuse potential and propensity for seizures.

The active component in vicodin (hydrocodone) is NOT available here in the US without tylenol added to it.
Josh

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

i'm like bread mold Randy, I grow on ya! lol

dee 8)

Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Stupid question time:

Tylenol = Paracetamol = Ibuprofen?

In the general OTC "lower order" pain medicine sense that is ...

Its a pain when a lot of the OTC names are a$$-about and mean totally different things in different countries too.

I take up to 3 x Nurofen Plus (ibuprofen/codeine - 500mg/12.8mg) in addition to my Requip/Repreve.

I dont think i'd have any problems getting a script for straight codeine ... however I think i'd have to do the "hard sell" on my GP for anything above that, e.g. Tramadol
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Neco

Post by Neco »

Tylenol / Paracetamol = acetaminophen

Ibueprofen is things like Advil / Motrin, etc. It is an anti inflammatory (NSAID)

And just because. Naproxen sodium = Aleve,etc. also an NSAID

I actually had an argument with my brother the other week about how Tylenol is NOT Aspirin... lol. So much for reading the label huh ?

As long as you are not taking other sources of Ibuprofen you should be fine

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Thanks for clearing that up for me Zach.

I've tended to stick to the ibuprofen/codeine mix with nurofen plus simply because when my RLS kicks in at a great rate of knots, the ibuprofen helps my hips and knees, which usually take the brunt of all the attacks, recover a lil more quickly ... and I dont have to reach for the walking stick so often.

Also, it's the OTC pain-killer with the most codeine in it at 12.8mg/tablet
8) The rest range down from there to around 6mg/tablet.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Neco

Post by Neco »

Heh, at least you can get it OTC at all :)

I personally stay away from NSAIDs because they tend to be harder on the GI tract, and I have IBS, so.. That's how that goes.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

NSAIDS never work on me.

dee

Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

brandy

Post by brandy »

Am I mistaken, or is codeine not actually stronger than Tramadol? In the States, I think codeine falls in the "controlled substance" category, whereas Tramadol does not. I might be wrong on this, though. Tramadol works for my RLS and I'm allergic to codeine so I don't take it. I just didn't want you to be on something stronger than necessary if Tramadol would do the trick and I also didn't want you to not get the help you need as a result of misinformation.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

Neco

Post by Neco »

Tramadol is not currently on the DEA schedule list, so technically I guess it -could- be sold OTC, but basically a lot of people think it is "way less addicting" or not addicting at all.

In terms of strength, I would say in my case tramadol proved to be stronger than codeine for my RLS symptom resolution, as I can attain the same amount of resolution as I do with hydrocodone or more potent opiates.

It definitely has addictive potential in my eyes, and frankly, through personal experience. I stopped it due to a nasty side effect I developed as a result more than moderate dosing, which interestingly enough, jacked up my hydrocodone tolerance, contrary to anecdotal evidence.

You can get it OTC in other countries I believe, but I don't know which ones.. Probably Mexico or something at the least