What is everyone taking these days?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
AussieRodney

Post by AussieRodney »

Madopar 100/25 times 2 each evening, supported by about 40mg of aspirin, followed at bedtime by another 200mg of aspirin. And if they don't settle, more aspirin! Then physically get out of bed & surf the net, primarily so that I am not lying there awake. When my eyes are closing, it's time to try again.

But it must be coated aspirin. Why? I honestly don't know!

Rodney.
Life is not a dress rehearsal, it's the real thing.

ctravel12

what is everyone taking these days?

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Mary and you are more than welcome. I am glad that you have found this website too. I agree with you being concerened about what meds you should take especially with just having one kidney.

I just recently found out that I have a kidney disease and am taking clonazapem and when I read the side effects it says you should not take clonazapem if you have a kidney disease. I will be seeing my neurologist this coming Tuesday and will discuss this with him to see what else I can take. I am going to the Mayo Clinic at the end of the month for a second opinion.

I am glad that you are reading alot of the old and new posts as they have alot of good info there. Good luck and let us know what your dr says.

I say a prayer everynight for all rls members (we are like a huge family) and without them I do not know where I would be today.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

sodapop527

Post by sodapop527 »

Wow Rodney that seems like an awful lot of asprin! Do you take that much asprin on a Drs. suggestion or on your own? I havent seen anything to the affect that asprin helps RLS. Please let me know ... that is very interesting.

sodapop527

Post by sodapop527 »

Hey Charlene good luck at the Drs. Tuesday. How long have you been on the clonozepen? See to began with .... I hate taking medicine! ... as bad as a kid.... that is why I liked the lortab so much... it wasn't something I had to take every day but only when I needed it ....I know ya gotta watch your liver taking lortab but when I talked with my Dr. he said I was taking no where near the amount that would cause concern for the liver. But like I said, I have been taking them for about two years and though I used to get six hours of sleep i am only getting two now and then I am up taking another half or whole pill. I was wondering.... I noticed alot of writings talk about pain with RLS... for me ..... it started when i was about seven or eight with it just affecting my feet would get real hot and I would have to put them in a tub of cold water but now the creepy crawlys go up above my knees and nobody including my husband ever understood why I would be up walking around at night or not able to watch a movie until they all seen the requip commercial .... and when I took a lortab for the first time and took my grandson to see Cats and was able to sit through the whole show without wanting to get up and run through the aisles I was like a little kid telling everybody!!!!! Sounds crazy to some but let me tell you it was heaven to me! ok I'm rambling...... have a good one!

ctravel12

what is everyone taking these days?

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Mary
I started taken clonazapem the first part of last year and was on it for about 6 mos and took myself off as I did not like being on a control substance; however it did help my rls. I then took requip which was a nightmare for me. I have rls 24/7 and very painful.

Went to a neurologist latter part of last year and he suggested that I go back on clonazapem since it did help me. Now I am concerned because of the kidney disease so will be seeing him tomorrow.

Thanks for your concern. Everyone here has been absolutely wonderful. I will let you know what the dr says.

Have a nice evening.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carolsond

Post by carolsond »

Hi!

I have severe RLS and am taking Mirapex. I've been taking it about 5 years and it works for the most part although I think I'm building up a tolerance towards it because it doesn't seem to be as effective as of late.
I may have rebound also. I'd like to discontinue the Mirapex and have my doctor prescrbe anothr medication for me, however, I tried Permax and Requip and also Sinemet and I couldn'ttolerate the side effects of all of them. I don't know what medication is good for RLS and yet has tolerable side effects. If anyone knows of a medication like that, please let me know. Thanks!

Carol Ann

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Emily, found this on one website:

Trade Name(s):
Levo-Dromoran

Type of Drug:
Levorphanol tartrate is a man-made opioid analgesic.

How Drug Works:
Levorphanol tartrate relieves moderate to severe pain and is similar to morphine. It binds to opioid receptors in the brain and central nervous system (CNS), altering the perception of pain as well as the emotional response to pain.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

sodapop527

Post by sodapop527 »

Hi, Well I was taking hydrocodone for about two years for my RLS, I went to my neurologist this past friday because I was looking to try something new and he put me on neurontin, 100 mg 3x day..... he said if it wasn't working in a week to call him and he would up the dosage. I really didn't want to go on this med but decided to give it a try. I did try requip and that made me very ill. So we'll see how it goes. Good luck on finding something that agrees with you.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Carol Ann, Quirk about rls meds is that what works for one doesn't always work for another and what med one can tolerate cannot be tolerated by another. Myself, I had pretty good luck with sinemet for quite a few years amd never hit it off with Mirapex. You probably have been quite fortunate to have done so well on Mirapex for 5 years. WOW! That may be hard to beat. Probably working with your doctor and trying one or two meds from some of the different classes on a trial and error basis may be what you will need to do. Reviewing the Mayo Clinic Algorithm (see sticky) may also be worthwhile and it may give you some idea where to go next.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

I wanted to offer an update of what I'm taking. I was taking Neurontin 1200 mg. and Xanax 1.25 mg. at night in staggered doses. That was in December. Now with a new sleep doctor (whom I platonicly love at this point...) In January he titrated me to Mirapex .25 and I'm still on Xanax 1.25 and I just stopped Neurontin! This is strange since about 8 years ago I was on a high dose of Mirapex and had to quit but now it works again on a low dose!!!

For me, Neurontin was an overall "good drug" over the last 1 1/2 years but now that I'm off it it does seem like I'm not quite as sleepy during the day or "in a funk." I say again, it was ok though and a good alternative for some.

I'll find out in 2 weeks at my next appointment what I'll be prescribed to get me off the Xanax which was ok but I'm physically addicted to it (I forgot to take 1/2 a dose 2 weeks ago at night and the next day I was worthless in bed like I had the flu.) We'll see what the doctor does to get me off the Xanax... I may just stay on it if there's no better alternative.

Stay strong RLS'ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!