Any suggestions Please

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
debt_59

Any suggestions Please

Post by debt_59 »

Hi
I am currently taking Requip for my rls and plms I also have sleep apenia and I wear a mask every night. I was taking trazadone to help me sleep but I had been on it for so many years it was losing its strengh and not working for me. My Dr has put me on Generic name:
Nortriptyline
I have been on this for 3 months and here is what is happening I take my requip 1- 3 hours b4 I go to bed which starts to make me drowsey. I then take the Nortriptyline about 1 hr before bed. I am wide awake and lay for 2 to 3 hrs before I can sleep then I am up every 2 hrs. I am totally exausted I feel like someone beat me to death every night. Has anyone else had any experiences with this drug, Please any recomendations on what to ask my Dr to try next?? I need something to help me go to sleep and stay asleep. I don't think I can go another month doing this. I did not take the Nortriptyline last night and had a better rest than I have had for 3 months. Dr asked me to give the drug a chance when I started it which has been about 4 months now.
Please any recomendations on what I should ask Dr to try next would be greatly appreciated.
I have already been on Mirapix and it worked good but like everything else I had been on it for so long it was not working any more, Requip works good on my RLS and PLMS Any help would be very much appreciated :cry:
Thanks in advance

brandy

Post by brandy »

Have you considered one of the drugs that have been approved for chronic insomnia, such as Lunesta? It should not lose its effectiveness over time, as it was designed and has been approved for long-term use. Ambien CR is also approved for long-term use, but some folks on the board have had some bad experiences with the Ambien. Nortriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant. That particular class of drug has been shown to increase RLS symptoms in a number of people and that might be what you are experiencing currently. You might take a list of drugs that interfere with RLS with you when you go to the doctor. There is a thread on this board that discusses drugs that cause trouble and there is also a posting on rlshelp.org. I brought in a copy of the list for my chart so that it is available for consult every time I go to the doctor. I'm sorry that you are struggling so. I hope that you find some relief soon. You might consider calling your doctor today to see if s/he can call in a prescription for you for tonight. I know the feeling of needing sleep and needing it NOW. Your doctor might be sympathetic to your plight. Good luck!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

debt_59

Post by debt_59 »

I am thinking I am going to call her today so I can get some sleep tonight. I am agreeing with you something is wrong. I am so tired my fibro is acting up to Every bone in my body hurt last night thanks for your concern I appreciate your help
:)

debt_59

Post by debt_59 »

I am thinking I am going to call her today so I can get some sleep tonight. I am agreeing with you something is wrong. I am so tired my fibro is acting up to Every bone in my body hurt last night thanks for your concern I appreciate your help
:)

Kwazylegs

Post by Kwazylegs »

Several of the tricyclic antidepressant medications have sedative properties, and many doctors prescribe some of them for patients suffering from depression, insomnia, and/or chronic pain. I've used nortriptyline in the past (maybe 12 years ago) for depression, and the only thing I remember about that experience is that it really messed up my sleep and, like you, I felt completely worn out in the morning. Because of the sleep issues, I didn't give the medication more than 5 nights of insomnia before I discontinued it. I'd say that if you've been taking the med for nearly 4 months, that you've given it a fair trial for whatever purpose it was prescribed, and that the adverse effects seem to be out-weighing any benefits. Like Brandy said, I think that a talk with your doctor is needed so that you can find a med that will help you with your insomnia, pain, RLS and PLMS. For what it's worth, my brother also tried nortriptyline for depression, and he described horrendous nightmares, and fitful nights of semi-consciousness...he abandoned the med after only 3 nights use. My brother is a person who can tolerate many more medications' adverse effects than I can, and for him to voice a complaint about a medication so strongly tells me that he really had a bad experience with it. Best wishes in your search for sleep and freedom from pain. ---Andy

debt_59

Post by debt_59 »

I am glad to hear about someone else having dreams while on this med. I have been having them to. I just thought it was because I had allot to think about lately. I am one that don't dream allot or don't remember my dreams. I have been having allot of them lately.
I was prescribed this to help me sleep and I to feel like I have given it sufficent time to work. I have a call into Dr as I type. I am awaiting a call back from her now.
Maybe I will sleep tonight
ThANKS FOR THE INFO !!

Kwazylegs

Post by Kwazylegs »

I hope you get that call from your really soon. Because everyone's reaction to different meds varies so much, it's hard for a doctor to know for certain how effective a med will be for his/her patient, and how that patient will tolerate any adverse effects...It's kind of a hit or miss kind of thing. And to make the situation even more interesting, many of us have good responses to some meds early on, and eventually need to change doses or switch meds entirely, simply because our bodies (and our conditions) are continually changing. I hope that your doctor is flexible enough to consider this reality when she's working with you. I'm currently taking 50mg trazodone, 800mg gabapentin, and .75 mg clonazepam each night, and I think that I'm going to need to change this cocktail soon, since my pain and PLMS are getting worse. Keep us posted. ---Andy

debt_59

Post by debt_59 »

She finall called and put me on ambien cr. I slept good last night and woke up 7 hrs later. This is good for me cause usuall I am awake her lately every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. So I felt rested this AM I was up b4 my 16 year old daughter :lol:
Which is real good she usually has to wake me up every morning. So I hope this is a good sign :o