post surgery meds

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Sojourner

post surgery meds

Post by Sojourner »

Realize surgery produces some risk for aggravating rls but....have to consider a hernia surgery at some point soon. Talked with my surgeon who will be prescirbing meds following surgery. We discussed my current rls/PLM status which, as with most here, is tenuous. I indicated the last thing I needed following this surgery was to have to walk, bounce my legs around, or have them jerking in bed or at rest. He was interested and willing to listen and discuss this with me. I seem to do well tolerating the narcotics although I am currently trying to take a beak from vicodin. He discussed percocet (don't know how that's different than percodan which I have used once in the past). In any event, I was wondering what others might have used following surgery when their normal medication were not working well. I was quite pleased with the surgeon's interest and patience. Actually, we spent most of the meeting discussing the rls aspect as opposed to the surgery itself which I said was in his hands and I'm sure he would do a good job. He has a good reputation and wonderful bedside manner. He also recommended that I call and talk with the anethesiolgist ahead of time and did not thing this would be out of line.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

chicory

Post by chicory »

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. I had a foot repair done this summer and was actually very surprised at how well the RLS did after the procedure. I was in a walking cast for a month following the repair and that wasn't even too bad! In my case I chose to have a regional anesthetic vs a general - less side effects, especially nausea. The difference between Percodan and Percocet is that Percocet has asprin and the other acetaminophen(Tylenol) in in. Be sure to talk with the anesthesiologist before hand - that way they can be ready with the appropriate medications for any nausea that you might experience after the surgery.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I've had a few surgeries, the latest being back surgery four months ago--spinal fusion T6 through T12.

It is extremely important that you tell everyone involved in your surgery that you are a special needs patient--that you have RLS. A lot of the drugs given to you pre and post surgery can exacerbate RLS.

As far as pain meds are concerned, I was on valium, demeral (sp?) and percocet after surgery. I now take one darvocet at night and a generic form of Flexaril. I tolerated all of those meds very well.

Good luck with your surgery.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumpy

Post by jumpy »

Ok, Mark, you first...My husband just had this surgury and came out just fine. of course he doesnt' have RLS..But they did give him Lortab and for me that works pretty good with the control of RLS. You will probably be out patient, right? They let you take your regular meds right after surgury and you come out of the anesthesia real quick. Emily,, You sound scared. My experence (put to sleep 6 times in the last 5 years) has not been as bad as worring about it beforehand. Don't take phenergan or compazine for nausea. They really make RLS worse. There is a fairly new drug call Zofran that did not make me jumpy. Tell your doctors exactly what you said here. I know they have heard it before. The whole time you are under the anesthelogiest will be there.. He will make sure you don't wake up. You just need to have a nice long talk with him and express your fears. Ask for strong enough pain meds that will probably take care of the RLS. Hope this helps and Good luck to both of you. Pat

ctravel12

post surgery meds

Post by ctravel12 »

Mark and Emily I will keep you both in my prayers for your upcoming surgies. Em and Mark, Jumpy had some good advise about talking to your dr and letting them know where you are coming from.

Please keep us posted on how you both did. I really do care and also we (the group) will be pulling for the both of you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey Emily

I'm sorry you have to undergo surgery. No surgery is fun.

I'm not sure what to tell my surgeon and anesthesiologist. I will give them copies of my medical card, but other than that, I don't know what to ask for or say. I am afraid my condition won't be taken seriously. I have to go under general anesthesia and have had bad reactions to it in the past (such as shivering and shaking uncontrollably and extreme nausea) so I am scared not to have any medications to help.

I gave everyone a copy of my medical alert card and a copy was attached to the front of my chart. When we talked to the anesthesologist prior to surgery, I explained to him that I had RLS and told him that I cannot take Benadryl, which is one of the drugs commonly used prior to surgery. I also explained that most anti-nauseates exacerbate my RLS and told them I would not be able to lie still if they gave me these drugs. There are medications you CAN take, Emily. I was able to take medication to prevent nausea following my surgery--Zofran. As Mark said, general anesthesia wasn't bad for me--you just have to make sure you tell your doctor and anesthesologist exactly what you said here.

Everyone took me seriously and I'm sure they will you, too. I explained what RLS is and told them that I wold not be able to lie still---in fact, I would be really bad if given Benadryl or some of these other drugs. I know that because, when I had gallbladder surgery, I was given Benadryl and had to be walked for an hour before I could go into the operating room.

Also, make sure you are given all of your medications following surgery--as soon as you can take anything by mouth--if you are on anything, Emily. Everyone was really nice about this--from my surgeon and anesthesologist to the nurses who took care of me.

Good luck, sweetie. Let us know how you are doing.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Neco

Post by Neco »

As for percocet vs percodan they are pretty much the same narcotic, Oxycodone. Percocet contains acetaminophen, while Percodan contains aspirin. Either should be fine if you've had them before, and I imagine if it is not a severely painful operation, it would do the job pretty well. Otherwise I guess you could ask for morphine if the pain/RLS turns out to be really bad. I have no idea how likely they would be to give you morphine though, they may simply load you up on the Oxycodone at a higher dose or something.

brandy

Post by brandy »

I will be holding you both close as you add yet another concern to your list of health issues. Hopefully, surgery will resolve one of your health concerns and that can be one less thing on your mind. Be honest and open and firm about your needs (refuse to be dismissed!) and I just know things will work out. You might also want to make sure that you have someone with you who is willing to work on your behalf as well. When you are out of it, they can make sure that the medications you receive are acceptable and appropriate and can fight to make sure you receive the care you need and deserve. Please let us know how things go.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Lots of good advice here which I will take to heard. Also thanks for the good wishes and success stories. Em, I felt the same as you in terms of talking to the surgeon. But, as I mentioned, he was a good listener, interested in what I had to say, and was not at all dismissive. I think he sincerly wants to do his best which includes listening and reacting to my concerns--which I think he did and will. Don't be shy and the persistent comment is a good one. Good luck! As I was thinking of this, I decided to see who the anesthesiologist was for my last colonoscopy. Reason is that in reflecting back when he came to do his prep he said, "You must be the one with restless leg syndrome." He mentioned that he said this because he saw my legs bouncing. Didn't really say much at the time other than acknowledging his comment but I think it at least showed he read the chart and had some idea what it meant. If I can request him again, I think I will do that and also talk to him about pre- post- med concens. You bet I'm scared. As I said in another post, I am not brave and a bit of a wimp with respect to almost anything related to medicine.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.