How long did your augmentation last?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Anonymous

How long did your augmentation last?

Post by Anonymous »

For those who have augmented, how long did it last before you returned to your previous rls level (if you ever did).

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neco

Post by Neco »

This seems like a reasonable section.

I don't know ho wlong it truly took for my augmentation to go away, but I'd guess it was gone in less than 3 days after stopping Sinemet. Maybe even faster; it was a long time ago and I don't remember clearly. There are probably several factors that vary per person. Anything from plasma levels to dose of the drug, etc

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Permanent.

BUT. . .I was kept on the meds for 18 months after initial augmentation.

I have no idea if it would have been permanent had it been shorter. In my dreams of shoulda, woulda, coulda, it would not have been permanent.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

brandy

Post by brandy »

My augmentation was not permanent, but I was put on Ultram and one of the narcotics to counteract the augmentation and then got to my current regimen of Ultram and Neurontin, so I can't say what would have happened had I not gotten on another medication.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Ann--

Funny coincidence, I was just talking to my sleep guy today about augmentation being the reason why I don't want to get into Requip, Mirapex, etc., particularly since I've heard that it is permanent in some cases. He said it's never permanent. I had some trouble believing that. Luckily, he's a great guy, very accomodating, and even though he always gives it a shot when I come in, he never presses the issue when I decline again.

Anyway, do you know of any/many others who found their augmentation to be permanent when when the augmenting agent is withdrawn? The very idea scares me silly. It may be that augmenation isn't permanent for most, or nearly all, people, but to play a lottery in which the winning ticket buys me stronger RLS for the rest of my life just seems like a really bad idea.

Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.
Last edited by Aiken on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I do not know of anyone else for whom it was permanent. Edited to add: (from DA's.) I have read in warnings or intimations in some posts over the years, but I don't know where they got the info or if they actually have seen this.

A reporter called me recently to ask about this post. She also wanted to know if I knew of others. I would love for a LOT more people who augmented and don't necessarily read this board to answer. Maybe I should post this on multiple boards, lol. I really doubt that I am the only one; if I am, you have to question is this is what it is.

Long story short, I had RLS only a time or two a month. Sometimes less. I had severe PLMD with a high number of arousals, so hence the DA. I augmented in just a week to daily RLS. Over 18 months, I went from one .125 mg tablet of Mirapex at 10 PM to three .25 mg of Mirapex at 10 AM, 4 PM and 10 PM. This eventually was not enough and no other drugs worked either (about 8 different ones).

While you could say that it's possible my RLS progressed, my belief is that it progressed from the longterm chemical changes in my brain, much like addiction. My chemistry is altered.

I have never heard of anyone who stopped it (DAs) within a short time NOT having it go back to prior levels. Heck, I'm the only one I am sure of that had it permanent at all!

Edited to add: It could be that there are many more and that two things happen - docs assume it is natural progression (and you'd have a hard time proving otherwise, I would think), and the person themselves doesn't really think about it being related, so they don't post it. So, when I say I don't know of anyone, it simply means that I haven't read any posts, not that it didn't occur. And, I've included only DAs. There are others who worsened with ADs. Again, I don't know how many of them were permanent, but there have been many, many posts about worsened RLS and the DAs. Maybe I'll start a poll.
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

It's been about 6 weeks for me since stopping the Requip, and the RLS isn't back to what it was before Requip. Sure, it's better than that first week after augmentation when it felt like every fiber in my body was in pain, and instead of little creepy crawly worms in my flesh, it was full-blown snakes, as well as PLMs all day long.

Before the Requip, my RLS was relatively mild. It was mostly that I just had to keep moving, which I solved by patterns of continuously moving (fidgeting mostly) the affected body parts. I had the creepy crawly sensations, mostly in my arms, but once in a while in my legs. I had some achy pain, once or twice a month. Now the pain is daily, the creepy crawlies are much more severe, and are nightly, and are all over my body.

Fortunately the hydrocodone zaps both the pain and the crawly sensations.

I don't know if it will ever go back to the levels I had before the Requip. (Has anyone else ever thought about suing the drug companies for the damage their drugs inflict?!!)

Susan

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rfishburn

Post by rfishburn »

Sinemet then mirapex...First few weeks on sinemet was like nothing I had ever felt, witty, energetic, fun. :shock:
Randy

dv

Post by dv »

Well, I swear that I never had daytime RLS until I was put on Mirapex for a week, and that was 8 months ago. I believe there is a connection. My doc and my neurologist think it is probably a coincidence though.

I have read, that lots of people seem to have this rapid increase in severity of symptoms and symptoms earlier in the day, in their late 30's, (which I am). But my neurologist says this is about as bad as it is going to get. God, I hope that's true.

Dana

stitch

requip and augmentation

Post by stitch »

I am trying to get off of requip, have been on it maybe three yrs together with neurontin and everything was great. Had 2 surgeries after that and it was still working but I think I went up to six 1mg's of requip aday and 600mg's of neurontin five times aday. Cut the neurontin back to 300mg's still at 5 times aday.

Since maybe 6 months ago I have been having augmentation really bad and never thought it could be the requip. I thought requip was the wonder drug for RLS. Last week my doctor told me to cut back 3 times aday and I am still having bad augmentation.

I have been on roxicodone 20mg's aday for about a month and I thought that would help with all day RLS but nothing has helped. Now I am thinking of stopping requip altogether. And stay with the neurontin.

I am going to see a new pain management doctor soon and he knows about RLS and will have all my MRI's and x-ray,s of my lower back surgeries.

My question; is it ok to go off requip now and use the roxicodone and neurontin??? I am not getting any sleep and if requip doesn't work what does?? I have posted a lot about meds, doctors and RLS etc.

I hope the augmentation does not last for ever. Jeannie :cry: