Mirapex

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jan3213

Mirapex

Post by jan3213 »

Jumpy, it's Jan

I'm up to 1 mg of Mirapex 2 x daily. What you're on would never do it for me, but then I think I've had it longer than you, is that right? Anyway, you probably do need more. Plus, and I'm not trying to be bossy, but do you take care of yourself? I tried to type that as small as I could. Ha!

Jan
Last edited by jan3213 on Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
No one is alone who had friends.

Sole

Post by Sole »

Hopefully, you won't have a problem getting them to refill it.

That's a lot of refills. Good for you. My experience is just the opposite. She didn't give me any refills on the Mirapex but gave me 3 on the Restoril. I'm beginning to think she doesn't know that it's a benzo. Could be wrong but it just seems weird. Definitely glad for them though, regardless.
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

jumpyowl

Hello Jan and Sole

Post by jumpyowl »

Yes, I am still titrating upwards, Jan. :)

Sole, that is interesting. Actually your care taker is smarter than my doctor (except on the tranquilizer). I received two prescriptions one from him and one from his technician. He should have known that the dose will be changed. But he gave me 10x both times (I think he did not want me back :) ) as we had an argument on he Ultram.

Actually he should have waited until the dose is established. But this does not seem to matter to the insurance companies, They just cancel one prescription and go onto the other.

I called the pharmacy after five and, of course, they have not heard from the sleep lab. After several phone calls I figured out how to reach them after hours (claim emergency). His partner called me backand said that they do not call in routine medication after hours. Then he changed his tune and said that he will give an OKAY if the technician will call back. I could not reach the technician.

Then I figured out my best chance would be to go to the pharmacy (12 miles from here) and beg for a couple of pills to tie me over. They said yes but I had to race to get there in time.

Anyway, I have the pills in my greedy little hands and will be okay for the night.

Thanks for caring! :)
Jumpy Owl

Heronak

Phew, in the nick of time!

Post by Heronak »

Jumpy, glad you picked up a few to tie you over!

Sole, I took .5 mg Mirapex last night and slept amazingly well for a change, with no temazapam. I'm glad for that and will continue that dose for awhile.

Hope everyone's doing well this morning,

Heron

Sole

Re: Phew, in the nick of time!

Post by Sole »

Heronak wrote:Sole, I took .5 mg Mirapex last night and slept amazingly well for a change, with no temazapam. Heron

Excellent news!!! :-)
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

Anonymous

Mirapex PLUS Sinemet?

Post by Anonymous »

I've been searching through the Mirapex and Sinemet threads, but haven't seen this addressed. I'm on Mirapex 1 mg 3x day (it doesn't make me sleepy). I've been on it about 1 year. It's not doing the job anymore. Dr. switched me to Requip, which made me bounce off the walls. He's switched me back to Mirapex (same dose) PLUS Sinemet (25/100) three times a day. Has anybody else tried this combination?
Isn't 3 mgs a LOT of Mirapex per day?

I go to a neurologist in 3 weeks, maybe they will have something different to say.

Sole

Re: Mirapex PLUS Sinemet?

Post by Sole »

ipsi_dixit wrote:Isn't 3 mgs a LOT of Mirapex per day?

My Dr. says I can take up to 1.5 mgs 3x a day. Have you ever tried it combined with a benzodiazepine like Klonopin (Clonazepam) or Restoril (Temazepam)? I, and others, find the combo a good fit.
Sole

Anonymous

Re: Mirapex plus Sinemet

Post by Anonymous »

Sole,

Thanks for the information! Today was the second day on the combination, and it's working like a charm. Like many GPs, mine doesn't want to put me on anything "habit forming" :roll: . Yeah, right. I'm looking forward to hitting the neurologist in 3 weeks, maybe something will come of that.

Thanks again,

Ipsi

Sole

Post by Sole »

Wonderful news! Sleep, beautiful sleep. I hope it keeps working for you. :-)
Sole

becat

I've Done A Bad Thing

Post by becat »

Ok, I've done a bad thing and I'm not sure what the true implications of it will be.....................

I took myself, by accident, off Mirapex. The pain was so bad on FRiday that I increased my normal 1.25-1.50 to 2.-2.5 just to try to get some relief. I was spreading out doses last week and the pain just grew larger.
I finally took some of hubby's pain meds..9for those of you that don't know me, I don't take pain meds, but rarely.)........he gets class 3 for dental work. I took a 1/4 of a Percodan, it was heaven, cut the pain in most of my limbs in half. That I could live with. I worked outside :shock: for the first time in weeks. I was not in LA LA LAND, no stomach upset, no major drowiness, past what I have since I truely do not sleep. I watched TV with my husband. No heating pad, not constant movement around the house. WOW ......so I took another 1/4 that night. I forgot to take the Mirapex.........Monday I had a GP appt., which took all morning, it hit me while waiting on him to come into the room. I was having to move, but I only have pain in my leg/foot that I broke. HMMM :idea: anything, I didn't wake with rebound stiffness, itching, or much pain. HMMMMM again.
When I got home, I decided to try the dreaded class two meds. Davorcet, yes only 1/2 a pill. Itched like crazy, almost fell asleep all afternoon and evening until it was time to go to bed. Can't say it did much for the pain.
It's now Weds. evening and still no mirapex.......yeah I can feeling it, but I'm thinking Mirapex and I have to take a break or maybe we're done with each other. Could I have outlasted it's usefulness on me and now it seems being off it has been a good thing??????arrrrrggggggg Sounds so darn silly to be confused by a better feeling body, but I don't trust it.
I'm so confused. :( How long will this last?
Is it me or did I have a bad reaction to the Darvocet. itching, ultra sleepiness, and no pain relief, that can't be what my Doctor wants me to take if that is the result.
Why is having a couple of goods days, now a puzzle? I think I should push for the class 3, even at a tiny dose, less side effects for me and real relief.
Anyone please chime in here. I know everyone has told me to take the pain medication, but I might better understand fully now why I should.......thus making me more determined to push fot that which works.

Sole

Post by Sole »

You answered your own question in your last sentence. "thus making me more determined to push fot that which works." The Percocet worked for you. Not surprised at all by that because EVERY single person I've EVER known with chronic pain is helped greatly by it! Including myself. I'm also not surprised that the Darvocet made you itch terribly. Its a common side effect. My take on the Mirapex is that it's probably too soon to tell if it's outworn its welcome or not. You may want to continue the Mirapex in much smaller doses, while adding the small doses of Percocet. Honey, if it works for you, ask for it and thank God it's available to you. My one and a half cents. :-)
Sole

jan3213

Pain meds

Post by jan3213 »

This is Jan

I'm like Becat--I avoid pain meds for some reason--won't even take an Asprin when my head is bursting wide open! But lately, because of stress, I assume, my legs have been screaming. The pain has been terrible. I could hardly walk in the morning, and that really is not an exaggeration. My doc prescribed 500 mg. of Vicodin to be taken every 8 hrs. as needed. At first, I hardly took any. Then, after my legs hurt so badly ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT, I actually started taking the Vicodin every 8 hrs. for a week, and, my gosh!, no pain. I really hadn't exerienced no pain in quite awhile. There for a while, a knife to the legs didn't sound too bad! (That's a sick joke!) I think you actually get kind of used to pain, then it starts wearing you down and you start getting depressed. So, I think if pain meds are available and your physician thinks you are a candidate, TAKE THEM. Now, I don't need the pills all the time. I feel so much better, my attitude is so much better, I'm not depressed and I can handle life better! Just thought I'd add my two cents worth!

Jan

Sole

Post by Sole »

Does anyone know if Mirapex can cause kidney problems? I've only had one kidney infection in my life. I've got a terrible ache this past two days. Wondering if it could be the Mirapex.
Sole

jan3213

Side effects of Mirapex

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Sole, it's Jan

I just looked up the side effects of Mirapex, and here's what I found:

What side effects can this Mirapex medication cause?
Some side effects from Mirapex/pramipexole are common. Tell your doctor if any of these Mirapex symptoms are severe or do not go away:
involuntary movements and motions
dizziness
drowsiness
upset stomach
heartburn
constipation
excessive tiredness
frequent urination
dry mouth
decreased sexual interest or ability
If you experience any of the following Mirapex symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
hallucinations
fainting
high temperature, rigid muscles, or confusion
muscle pain
increased sweating
falling asleep while eating, having a conversation, or in the middle of another activity

So, I don't know if what you are experiencing is related to Mirapex or not. Maybe you should call the doc. I don't want you to get sick! Take care of yourself!!!!!!

Jan

Sole

Post by Sole »

Jan,

Thanks a bunch for posting those. I'm not sure what it is but I'm watching it...and drinking plenty of God water! :-) I'm sure it's nothing a little cranberry juice won't fix.

Sleep beckons and I'm a harkenin'. Hope you're resting soundly.

Hugs!
Sole