Clonidine

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
searching_gurl

Clonidine

Post by searching_gurl »

SWIM has been prescribed Clonidine for RLS, which helps some but not completely, and I was wondering if anyone here know how long before bed it should be taken for maximum effect.

Thanks,

Searching Gurl

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's not a first line drug for RLS - I know I haven't heard of it being used all that often (and I'm sort of a geek when it comes to reading these boards). It has been used, though, and sometimes effectively. Regarding how? Hmmm. The latest book on RLS from Buchfurer, Hening and Kushida doesn't mention it. On rlshelp.org, it just says it has been used and gives doses.

I've seen a few posts, mostly from "down under" with people using it. Maybe Nadia or AussieRodney know something about when to take it.

Other than that, my fall back is to just search the heck out of Google or some other search engine and see what I find. Maybe you'll get lucky.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

I took it with relatively good success for rls for about three months. I took it 60 to 90 minutes before bed. Only used .1 mg. and had to stop because of other health concerns and the doc was afraid the med. might contribute. Tried to cycle thru again at a later date but by then the PLM's had set in and it was no help for that.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nancyhugh

Post by nancyhugh »

Is clonidine not a dopamine antagonist? I thought it was because I'm on it for ADHD which involves too much dopamine and it's to bring the levels down.
"Without haste, but without rest."-Goethe

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--

Neco

Post by Neco »

Clonidine is an adrenergic agonist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonidine

jumpy

Post by jumpy »

My daughter takes it for high blood pressure...I'm not sure how much she takes..

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--

ctravel12

clonidine

Post by ctravel12 »

He Em thank you for the update and saying my prayers that this medication works for you. I want to thank you for posting as it is good to see you on the board.

Please keep us posted. Thank you again.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time