Mirapex and hair loss

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Haggi

Mirapex and hair loss

Post by Haggi »

Since I started taking Mirapex about a month ago, I've noticed a significant increase of shed hair on my brush and pillows. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this drug?

I'm taking .25 mg a night now, after about 3 weeks at .125 mg.
--Haggi

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I seem to remember some past posts about this very subject. Did you try a search? I'm thinking you'll get lucky if you do, even though this search engine isn't the greatest.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

Dopamine agonists and other parkinson's meds can all cause hair loss- albeit very rarely. I pulled up some literature on my home computer and though rare, in some cases the hair does not return 100%. Are you on a higher dose of mirapex? Most of the literature I found seems to link this side-effect to higher doses. (>3 mg)
Josh

Haggi

Post by Haggi »

The hair loss seems to have stopped. I was experiencing a lot of shed on my brush and pillows for about a week after I bumped the dose up to .25 mg. I'm not sure if my body needed to adjust to the Mirapex, or if it was an unrelated event.
--Haggi

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

My hair has gotten thinner, but it doesn't come out in my brush. I was thinking it was the Mirapex, but it might have been the anesthesia I had in September. I hope it stops!!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.