Ultram fear

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
brandy

Ultram fear

Post by brandy »

I have been on Ultram for a number of months now. I get my perscription through the mail in 3 month supplies. Unfortunately, I did not refill my perscription online in time and I finished my perscription last night and I have not yet received my new perscription. I know that you are not supposed to quit meds like this cold turkey and I'm feeling a little nervous. I also take Neurontin. What should I do? Are there options like increase the Neurontin? Is this something I should be worried about until my meds come in? I hope that they will come any day now, but I'm still a little scared. Thanks.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

Neco

Post by Neco »

I think it would largely depends on the dose of ultram you are taking.
I can't recall if I tapered myself off it, or quit cold turkey, but to be honest, I didn't find it too hard to go without it (and I was way above prescribed dosage). I'd say take your normal dose of Neurontin and if you have problems maybe add a little bit more until you see if you get more relief from it.

About the only thing you can do in this case

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Is there a relationship with your local pharmacy? I've had mine give me a pill or two until I get what I need. Or, your doc - would she write a script for just two or three days worth?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

I'd second Ann's comment. Always have had good luck doing that. If they won't, and doc filled your script, just ask the doc if he can order just a few. You might pay out of pocket but might help the peace of mind. He might even have some samples.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Brandy, I quit cold turkey on 75 mg Ultram with my neuro´s consent. I did that twice and both times suffered only 2 days of deep depression. After that everything was fine, as I took more Neurontin at the same time. If you up the N and taper down after you receive the Ultram you will have more RLS for a short time.

Corrie

brandy

Post by brandy »

Thanks, everyone, for the thoughts. I remembered that I had one day's dose in my purse, which I keep with me for when I go out for the evening. That warded things off for one more day and I fully expect it to come by tomorrow. If not, I will follow your advice. I am on 100-200 mg/day. Love you guys.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

My own (what I think was) ultram withdrawal...

Due to a growing sense of having hypertension after taking my ultram in the evening, I decided not to take it last night. I had been thinking that because I was taking such a small dose (25mg), this shouldn't be a big deal. However, I wasn't thinking it all the way through, since my low dose is only to accomodate my recent issues with not clearing meds out of my system in a timely way. I think I have effectively been taking a higher dose, and I have to say last night was bloody miserable, and today's not much better.

I had involuntary jerking PLMs in both legs, all night. I've had occasional PLMs in the left leg recently, but nothing like this. I had madding RLS in both legs and both shoulders all evening, night, and morning. I've never had RLS of any kind in the morning before. I felt like I could not sleep to save my life, which luckily was not required. Emotionally, I have been miserable and hopeless all day today--probably what the warnings refer to as "suicidal thoughts", but I wouldn't do that. Still, it's hard to snap out of, no matter how hard I try. I just feel awful. Lack of sleep is bad, too, I'm sure.

I hope I'll feel better in a day or two.

(Oh, and I'm not sure yet since I've only had the one night to test in, but I think I was right about the hypertension and the ultram.)

Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.
Last edited by Aiken on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Aiken,

I have stopped Ultram twice for 6 days. I can't remember my RLS being out of control but I do remember 2 -3 days of deep, deep depression with long crying spells. After that I was OK again. So I hope the same will happen to you.

Corrie

rfishburn

Post by rfishburn »

I am cold turkey as of today, insurance won't refill it and I can pay out of pocket. Anyways i am suffering no ill effects after being on 100 mg gor about a month maybe longer.
Randy