restoril sleep aid?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jbrinkley

restoril sleep aid?

Post by jbrinkley »

anyone tried this? did it work? side effects? thanks, I tried Ambien and it didn't help at all, I've been on Lunesta for about 4 months, but don't like the side effects. doc gave me a prescription for restoril to try it now. Just wanting to know how it worked for others. thanks again.

ctravel12

Re: restoril sleep aid?

Post by ctravel12 »

jbrinkley wrote:anyone tried this? did it work? side effects? thanks, I tried Ambien and it didn't help at all, I've been on Lunesta for about 4 months, but don't like the side effects. doc gave me a prescription for restoril to try it now. Just wanting to know how it worked for others. thanks again.

Hi jbrinkley and welcome. I have never tried restoril sleep aid; however some of the members may have tried it and will comment to you.

Do you also have rls or just not able to sleep? Either way, I hope that you find the much needed relief that you need for sleep.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jbrinkley

Post by jbrinkley »

I also have rls, I have had it as long as I can remember, but I didn't know it until about last year. I never knew how to describe it to anyone. It is only really bad when I don't sleep enough the night before then about 6 pm it starts up and gets worse as the night goes on. I have found exercising helps, and my girlfriend will massage my legs for me which helps calm them down a bit too. My main problem with sleeping is when I lay down my brain decides it's time to wake up and start thinking. And the restless legs dont help matters at all. Anyway, thanks for replying, this is a great bunch of people.

ctravel12

restoril sleep aid

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi again jbrinkley. I am sorry that you have rls along with the sleep deprivation. Are you seeing a dr for your rls?

With being new to this site, it would be worth your while to read the forum New to RLS "Managing RLS" it has an excellent article from Mayo Clinic Algorithm. If you can, print it out and bring it to your dr. Is so important to educate yourself as much as you can regarding your rls before seeing your dr.

I know with rls trying to rest is sometimes impossible. I hope that you can find relief for both. That is wonderful that your gf rubs your legs. I had my dh do it; however it never helped. I do take meds for it and has been helping.

Please keep us posted and if you ever just want to talk, vent or even scream, we are here for you.

Good luck and take care. I hope that you have a very restful evening.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jbrinkley

Post by jbrinkley »

I finally went to the doctor back the middle of last year. I have been through this forum prolly twice over and still find something new everytime I'm on here. I've read all the stickies and have learned alot. I didn't know there were so many people with this problem until my gf found this site. She's a nurse and she loves pampering me, and I'm not one to complain about being pampered, lol. Anyway, thanks for the pointers, its much appreciated.

hope you sleep well too....tonight, tomorrow night, etc.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

jbrinkley wrote:I finally went to the doctor back the middle of last year. I have been through this forum prolly twice over and still find something new everytime I'm on here. I've read all the stickies and have learned alot. I didn't know there were so many people with this problem until my gf found this site. She's a nurse and she loves pampering me, and I'm not one to complain about being pampered, lol. Anyway, thanks for the pointers, its much appreciated.

hope you sleep well too....tonight, tomorrow night, etc.

Hi jbrinkley. It is wonderful being pampered. My dh spoils me and I love every minute of it.

You are more than welcome about the pointers and know that other members will be here helping you out too.

You said that you went to the dr the middle of last yr. Did he put you on meds or are you doing fine without any? Either way, I hope you are doing fine being on meds or not.

Have a nice evening and please keep us posted on how you are doing. You have found a wonderful group as we are here for each other. It is one huge family and watch out for each other too.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jbrinkley

Post by jbrinkley »

yeah, first thing he gave me was requip, which I couldn't handle, cold sweats and vomiting and it really didn't help that much, so I tried Neurontin and it seemed to help. Every once in awhile when I don't get much sleep I don't think there is anything that can help my legs..... maybe morphine......but I don't see the doc giving me a prescription for that. lol sometimes it would be nice, but I'm sure I wouldn't know when to stop. I just had him bump me up to 300 mg. I really don't want to go over 300mg. I've heard too many bad things about neurtontin.

I'm starting to think that noone has tried restoril..... which surprises me because he said its been around for awhile.

btw, last night I took 300 mg for the first time and I slept good, with the Lunesta of course. take care.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

jbrinkley wrote:yeah, first thing he gave me was requip, which I couldn't handle, cold sweats and vomiting and it really didn't help that much, so I tried Neurontin and it seemed to help.
I'm starting to think that noone has tried restoril..... which surprises me because he said its been around for awhile.

btw, last night I took 300 mg for the first time and I slept good, with the Lunesta of course. take care.

Hi jbrinkley I am so happy that you got a good night's sleep last night and hope that it continues.

I certainly understand about Requip as it also made me very nauseated and gave me rls 24/7 and very painful. Needless to say, I am not taking that med anymore. I know alot of members take it and it works for them and I am happy for them. Wish it would of worked for me but am now taking clonazapem and it is working for me.

I myself have never heard of restoril. I know my dr put me on rozerem and it never did a thing for me. I may of well drank a glass of water that is how much it effected me. I know it took seven (7) days to get into your system and it still did not work.

Here is good luck to you for getting a good night sleep everynight.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Restoril is the brand name of temazepam, a benzodiazepine used for short- term treatment of insomnia...

Here's a link to more information.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/temaz_pi.htm

becat

Post by becat »

Hi to all and welcome to Jbrinkley,
J I wish I could honestly tell you if I have tried it or not........ :shock: I've tried many things and normally end up slushing most of the stuff.
I have been on a couple of benzo's and am now. Nope not Restoril, but a combo of two at a lower dose, for a short time......I'm hoping.
Benzos are certainly helpful for many people, but a word of caution, like any other thing out there that is used. Just be careful to note your body's reaction and any difference you note mentally or emotionally, look at your medications first. :?
If you take meds, any meds., and notice a change in yourself, call your doc....
I know the trial and error part of this disorder is more than many of us expect, but hang in there. Good Quality of Life happens. It does.
Glad to have you here and so glad your love cares for you in such a wonderful way. It's a great thing.
Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Restoril has been used by a lot of us at one time or another. Dr B recommends it over Klonopin because it has much shorter half life. It worked for me as well as Klonopin - however neither of them resolved my RLS - they just kept me asleep through the PLMs and the "activating" effect Mirapex had on me.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jbrinkley

Post by jbrinkley »

well, restoril doesn't seem to be working for me. I think its more for staying asleep instead of falling asleep, which seems to be my problem. I think I'm going to have to change doctors......again. I feel like i'm talking to a wall. First, he gave me 200 mg Ultram pills which made me higher than a kite for two days, then he gives me restoril, which is used to keep people asleep instead of aiding them to get there. rolleyes, and I used pretty plain english when I told him I wanted something to help me get to sleep. geeeeeesh, its a shame some people can go to school for so long and be so smart, only to not listen to what people are telling them.

I read where there are some new pills on the horizon that are from overseas that look promising. :-) Its just I wish they would hurry up and make them available for us to try.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

[quote="jbrinkley"] geeeeeesh, its a shame some people can go to school for so long and be so smart, only to not listen to what people are telling them[quote]

Hey Jbrinkley Well said. I often said it amazes me how they get their degree

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time