help with ativan plez plez

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Everyone,
I have posted in the past here because I have RLS for about three or four years now. I have it under control with tylenol-codeine. I also was taking klonopin for about five years for panic disorder and anxiety. Last fall, I developed irritable bowel syndrome, and became quite anxious from it, so I asked my doctor to change me from klonopin to ativan. I have been on the ativan for six months. It did not help my anxiety. So, my psychiatrist and I agreed to try valium just yesterday. I had no earthly idea that just quitting the ativan might cause a problem. Well, it did, evidently, because this morning I have been reading some scary stuff online about ativan.

You see, I took the valium yesterday and did not take any more ativan. The valium did not do what I thought it would do. At first it relaxed me, but I began to have visual problems and mental upset. I had a lot of trouble falling asleep, took another valium, and in a few hours, I woke up with a terrible nightmare. I've been up since 2:30 a.m. and I am so full of anxiety that I can't bear it. I read that you can't just stop ativan and take a similar drug, like valium. So, I assume I am in withdrawal. I have taken a couple ativan since I read about that, and I think I am a little better, but I'm still feeling mighty strange.

Has anyone else had this problem? Either withdrawal from ativan or a problem with the valium itself? I need help soon, if anyone is out there! I am scared out of my wits and want to call the crisis center.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Sorry you are in such distress. I guess my first thought was to suggest you contact your psychiatrist and ask his advice. If for some reason that's not possible how about your PC. Your local pharmacist may also be able to offer some advice but perhpas not as well as your psychiatrist or PC. If you continue to be overwhelmed and cannot do any of those, I think contacting the crisis center is something you should certainly consider. I know many of us here, have suffered withdrawal, anxiety and panic attacks. What you are going through is no fun. Continue to post here if only to perhaps release some of what you are feeling. Let us know how you are doing. Best wishes.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Isn't ativan also a benzo? I admit I don't know much about benzos but I would think if you were substituting one out for another I wouldn't think it would throw you into withdrawal like that, but I could be mistaken.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Maybe your dose of Valium isn't equal to the amount of Ativan you were taking. That is my only guess. I think Ativan is stronger than Valium.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I used to take ativan (lorazepam) and never really found it to be too strong personally. I know it came in very low dosages, so that would seem to indicate a high potency, but I also had no trouble quitting it cold after taking 1 or 2 mg minimum.. Never put a dent in my rls personally, either.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You have to know how to sub one benxo for another. There is a chart on the UK benzo board. Can't remember the URL offhand, but it's been discussed here several times. They use the Ashton method of withdrawal - they sub Valium for whatever benzo you were on. If I remember right, it takes a LOT more Valium compared to most of the other benzos.

This is dangerous stuff - benzo withdrawal is not bad for some, but those of us it is hard for, really suffer. Some of us terribly. Dogeyed, I was on Klonopin about 6 months - it took me 6 or 7 additional months to get off of it, during which I lost 35 pounds from being constantly ill.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Dear ViewsAskew and Everyone,
Thank you SO much for all the support and postings here for me. I was a sorry mess yesterday. By taking the ativan again, my symptoms subsided. I put together a withdrawal schedule. They say you reduce the ativan a little at a time, each time until the symptoms subside, and then reduce it some more, over a period of many weeks. Plus take the replacement drug, for me the valium, while you're doing that. I slept well last night, felt some anxiety this morning, but took my meds as usual and right now I am about where I was before I started with all this insanity.

I knew I could count on my board mates here at RLS to help me. My psychiatrist is somewhat lax on what she prescribes and never mentions withdrawal. I'm just glad I found help online. I was in a very scary place yesterday. I did read online that ativan is much stronger than the others, so a "replacement" dose would involve a high dose substitute, which is not practical. My hope is eventually in time, by following my schedule, I will be off the ativan, and maybe the valium will end up be a good substitute then. If it is not, then I'll either go back to my klonopin or simply go off the benzos all the way, slowly, and just keep some around for panic attacks. But I'll never take ativan again.

thank you everyone again for talking to me and holding my hand while i was in such misery yesterday. i think i will manage now.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi dogeyed This is a wonderful board and am glad that they were able to help you even if just listening to you.

The support is wonderful and anytime you want to just talk, vent or even scream, we are here for you.

Good luck and hope that you continue to do well all of the time.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time