Benzo withdrawal causes increased rls?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Em, I think I posted before but it may have gotten lost in the other posts - benzo withdrawal can last a LONG time. Like months. That is one of the reasons I suggest people be very careful with this class of drugs. None of the other drugs we take can create the same level of difficulty (for some of us) when we stop them. And, though we may be on them for a long time, some of us may have to stop them. And, that can be really, really hard.

Is it primarily the RLS increase that is driving you crazy, or other withdrawal symptoms? If it is the withdrawal symptoms, maybe try going taking the last amount you took tomorrow night and see what happens. If your symptoms abate some, then try taking that amount every other day for 10 days to two weeks. See how you feel.

If it's the RLS, you could try the same thing and see what happens. It could be that the RLS has simply increased in the time you were on it. It also could be that it will take several weeks to decrease. I know of many people who took 3to 4 weeks to reduce the increased RLS after augmentation, so why not taking that long with this? Not fair and it sucks, but not necessarily out of the realm of possibilities.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Okay, I read this thread every day. I've been on Clonazepam for years. When I first went on it, over ten or fifteen years ago, I knew nothing about the drug, I just wanted relief. I was put on Clonazepam and Mirapex. I'm one of the people who has been on it for years.

I tried to get off of it last month and couldn't stand it. My RLS was so bad, I couldn't stand to do anything. Maybe it would go away in weeks, months---I don't know. I don't know if my body needs this stuff because it helps my RLS or because I'm addicted. Probably both.

What I DO know is that, even though I may feel like one, I'm not a whimp. At the risk of making everyone who reads this sick (because I've talked about it too much), I had MAJOR back surgery in September and it was something I never want to go through again. I endured a LOT of pain, among other things, and now I don't sleep. I know my surgeon told me good news and figuratively patted me on the head and gave me muscle relaxers. Guess what?!! They don't help. I have pain in my back at night. Lying in bed makes my back hurt, wakes me up and I don't sleep. I have no pain meds anymore. And, I don't think anyone is going to prescribe any for me.

So, there is NO WAY I'm going to go off of Clonazepam, "whimp" or not, and have horrible RLS along with pain in my back, especially at night. So, I can be added to those people who have been on it for a long time, probably should come off of it, but won't. I can't imagine dealing with horrible RLS and my back at the same time. I'm on the edge here. I can't go on like this. I'm no good to myself or anyone else. Doesn't mean I'm going to do myself in. I just want to sleep. SLEEP.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ctravel12

benzo withdrawal causes increased RLS?

Post by ctravel12 »

I too have been on and off of clonazapem and when I was off of it, it was a nightmare that I do not want to relive again. My rls was raging 24/7 and sleep WHAT IS THAT?

I am on clonazapem and my neurologisgt has me also taken 1/2 pill of .125 of mirapex. He said if I am not getting the right amount sleep it can make me very sick. I still do not get a full night's sleep, whether I will or not remains to be seen. The good side of it is that I am going back to sleep.

My heart goes out to you Jan ,as I know as I am sure other members do to, know what it is like to be sleep deprived. You definitely need your sleep to function at all.

I have said this so often and so have other members. What works for one may not always work for another.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time