New to Forum - Cutting Pills

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Lois E

New to Forum - Cutting Pills

Post by Lois E »

Hi,
I am new to the RLS Forum, but not new to RLS. I had been taking Mirapex for years with the use of Calcium, Magnesium, Iron and Vitamin B. My health insurance changed and I can't get Mirapex any longer but am now on Requip. I think my neuro started me to high and want to half the pills. He has me on 1 mg and I am doing well with it but would rather try a lower dose. I also have a rare spinal cord disorder, am wheelchair bound, and take a bunch of other meds including Neuronten. I just don't want to add a higher dose if I can sail with a lower one. I tried splitting them with a pill cutter which I have used on other meds for years but these things just don't work with it. Can someone please help.
Thanks a bunch,
Lois

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

They are hard to cut. Some people have had luck with a pill-cutter, but I don't know which kind.

I wonder if your doctor would prescribe a different dose - ie .25 mg tabs instead of 1 mg. Then, you wouldn't have to cut them! Of course, that means telling the doc what you want to do and they don't always like it when you want to play with dosages.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ctravel12

new to forum - cutting pills

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Lois and welcome to this group. I used to take requip and I did use a pill cutter. It is hard but it can be done. I just got a regular pill cutter. I placed it as accurate as I could so I could get an even cut. It was not exactly even, but it did the trick.

Good luck and let me know if this works for you. If not, then the suggestion that Ann made about getting your dr to lower the dosage may be the way to go.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

D4

Post by D4 »

I used to take Requip and had to cut the .25mg pills, because .375 is the dosage that worked best for me.

My regular pill cutter didn't work well because the pill would move a little, but then I bought a clear plastic one and it worked great. Since it was clear, I could make sure the pill didn't move when I cut it and it also had sort of a rubberized surface which minimized slipping.

Lois E

Pill Cutter

Post by Lois E »

Thanks for the information on the pill cutters. The clear one with the form on it to keep it from moving is what I will look for. I certainly have appreciated the information I have found here on the RLS discussion boards. I am now using Requip and it is working. I am getting some stomach problems and have GERD so am using my prescription for that to help. Hopefully it doesn't get worse. I take Psyillium Husks to regulate bowel movements and this helps with diarrhea. The RLS is a torture chamber so whatever I can take to relieve it I am willing to address the sides with whatever I can do to fight them. Hopefully the tummy stuff will settle down. Anyone taking anything to help this? Getting to sleep sure does feel wonderful. However I am not a good sleeper and don't last the whole night. Never have slept well since I was a little kid... But I will take this for a nice present. Anyone taking Melatonin with the Requip, or any other help?

Thanks again.
Lois - Deltona, FL

Lois E

Requip

Post by Lois E »

Hi,
I just talked about the pill cutter and am not going to play with cutting the Requip. I have gotten sick to my stomach since starting it. RLS ruined the night, now Requip ruins the day. You get the sleep you were so deprived of, then you feel sick. Nope, no more.
Here's to hope for someday finding a better way for all...
Lois