B 12 levels

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Critter

B 12 levels

Post by Critter »

About 6 years ago I read something about low Vitamin B12 levels contributing to rls. So I had mine checked & it was low. So I began taking B12 shots, 1/day for about a week & 1/week after that. For about 2-3 weeks I had no rls! I thought I had discovered the cure!! But after about 3 weeks it returned inspite of continuing with the shots. I no longer take the shots as a subsequent test showed a normal level. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? Critter

becat

Post by becat »

Hi critter and welcome to the baord.
Yes, B12 is important to RLS and yes taking B does help.
First, a B12 shot is like a "feel good" shot that you can get to boost your system. I begged for them for years, but my GP would always answer that there must be something else dragging me down. "let's fix the problem, not patch it." Oh, Ok. The lets patch it first so I can keep up with life. LOL Never did get one.
Anyway, it's great for someone if you have tested below normal levels, coming off a long illness, lasting fatigue, etc.
But your body requires you to take all the B vitamins in the long run to work right. This could be part of why it stopped working for you....I'm no doc though. :D It just could be that you leveled out.
Critter I hope someday to tell you I understand, I'm still waiting to try one.
Glad your here, only sorry that you needed to find us.
Again, Welcome.
Lynne

DAMoquin

Post by DAMoquin »

I never knew there was a link. I, too, have low B12 and low ferritin as well. No wonder I'm miserable !!

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

GNC makes a great cherry flavored, sublingual B12. It's recommended by the docs who did my gastric bypass. I'm supposed to use it daily, but I forget, so when I do remember, I usually use 2 under the tongue at once.

Susan

Yankiwi

Re: B 12 levels

Post by Yankiwi »

About a month ago my GP ordered a long list of blood tests including B12 which I had never had. He said it was low and suggested I go to the local natural health shop to buy a B12 oral spray. The brand recommended is BetterYou. I spray 4 hits on the inside of my mouth daily. I know it has only been a few weeks but so far it is working very well. Hardly any rls symptoms in the evening (I still can't sit for long) but more important—I sleep with no pain for longer blocks of time and can lie in bed in the morning which is a rare luxury.
Since Critter, who started this thread about 12 years ago, had relief for a few weeks after shots and then no relief, maybe a lower daily dose as in this spray would be more effective.

badnights

Post by badnights »

yankiwi, is that 1000 mcg in each shot? So 4000 daily total?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Hi Beth,
The label says "1200 mcg, 160 measured sprays". Since the instructions are for 4 sprays, I don't really know if the 1200 is total or for one spray!?! I'll ask at the health shop where I bought it and let you know.
One of the benefits of vitamin B12, according to the Healthline website (and others), is "Helps With Red Blood Cell Formation and Anemia Prevention". Maybe it helps boost serum ferratin levels.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

My doctor put me on B12 and threatened shots if it did not come up. She said it might help RLS but it didn't. I tried those gummy bear ones from CVS for 3 months and it didn't get any better. I went to methylcobalamin B12 drops I buy from Amazon for $30 for 30 mL and my number shot up to 361 pg/mL. Normal levels are above 211. I did some research and found I was not that low to start (like 250) but probably not a bad thing since aging and drinking affect B12 absorption. I started at their 100 ml recommended level from a dropper under the tongue per day but have cut down to about half that. Next month I will see if I had any reduction in level. It tastes great and I do it on an empty stomach first thing in morning while decaf coffee is brewing.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Thanks yankiwi .
One of the benefits of vitamin B12, according to the Healthline website (and others), is "Helps With Red Blood Cell Formation and Anemia Prevention"
Among the many forms of anemia (red blood cell deficiency) are one caused by iron deficiency and another caused by B12 deficiency. So B12 may help with anemia but will not (directly) increase iron stores, which are reflected in the serum ferritin level.

B12 might help WED/RLS in other ways, though. It's involved in a lot of metabolic pathways, any one or more of which might impact WED/RLS symptoms.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

:twisted: Re the B12 spray: as far as I could get an answer, 1200 mcg is the sum of the four sprays.

RLS, so many variables cause and effect it. :twisted:

badnights

Post by badnights »

thanks

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

It's been about three months since I started taking vitamin B12 and I'm pretty sure it's helping as it is the only change to my daily regimen which is .25mg ropinerole divided into two and taken approximately two hours and 1.5 hours before bed, 60mg codeine an hour before bed, an iron tablet with vitamin C and a 100mg SR tramadol with a paracetamol just before bed.
I still wake up with pain in my achilles area but it is much milder than previously. I sleep in longer blocks and can often lie in bed which is a rare luxury.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Wow. You're not the only one who reports B12 helping the symptoms. I hope it continues.

I took a sublingual tablet of B12 (methylcobalamin) for many months without any apparent effect, but it might be worth a try again since I had a lot of other things going on then.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yankiwi ..... you mention dividing a .25mg pill into two. Do you have success doing this?
I am prescribed Adartel (ropinerole) and the pill is dome shaped, so difficult to split. The cutter slides over it and all sorts of random measures are scattered as a result.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

My ropinerole tablets are pentgon shaped and easy to cut, close to in half.

Beth, try the B12 again but wait at least a month before you decide if it is helping or not.