Requip interesting side effect

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jeffkauf

Requip interesting side effect

Post by jeffkauf »

I have been taking Requip for 8 weeks. Started with .25 and for the last 6 weeks I'm at 1mg. I must say, I am very pleased overall with the cessation of my leg cramps, which I suffered with for the past several years. I am having some augmentation problems. I went to my eye doctor today with a complaint of eye fatigue and some slight peripheral vision problems. Turns out I have nystagmus, which is a condition marked by uncontrollable eye movements. With me it is very slight but noticeable, especially when driving. Not enough to be dangerous, but enough where I wouldn't drive for more than 1 hour at a time at this point. So, here is a new side effect NYSTAGMUS. Never saw this particular problem noted by anyone. Anyone else? This problem is unquestionably as a result of the Requip. Nothing much can be done to alleviate this problem except to modify my Requip dosage. I am going to try by taking 1mg every other day. Any comments on the change and method in dosage and/or the nystagmus side effect.
JeffKauf

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I haven't heard of it - have you heard of Dr Buchfurer? You can write him a letter at www.rlshelp.org. He may have and may have some advice.

I am not a doc, but I wouldn't try 1 mg every other day, I don't think. It would mean that you would have control over the RLS one day, but none the next. It's working time in your body is only a few hours - 6-7 max. If you need daily help and like the drug otherwise, I'd reduce it by .25 mg for a couple days and see what happens. If .75 controls the RLS and the eye problem is gone, you have a solution. If .75 controls the RLS and the eye problem is still there, cut back to .50 mg.

Another possibly better option is to switch to Mirapex. You would only need to start with .125 and see what happens. If that isn't enough, up to .25, then .375, then .5 Since 1 mg of Requip works, you should be able to use .25 to .375 of Mirapex. It has a completely different side effect profile, but works similarly.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I agree with Ann about taking it every other day. I would try a lower daily dose and see if that solves the problem. And talk to the doc about it. You may need to add in an additional med, or just try a different medication. I haven't heard of nystagmus with Requip, but a lot of drugs can cause it. Neurontin is one drug that's used often for RLS that often does cause nystagmus. Although I'm prone to that because of inner ear damage, and the neurontin doesn't do that to me.

Medication side effects really vary from person to person. I actually had a doctor tell me that I couldn't have xyz side effects, because they weren't on the list of side effects in their information. OK, darn it. Then add it to the list. You need to trust yourself here...

I'm curious as to what you mean when you say you're having augmentation problems? Are you having worsening of symptoms, or symptoms earlier in the day? That's what's usually meant by that word. (Ew, that horrible word.)

Good luck with it. I hope you get it figured out. Relief from RLS with minimum side effects. That's what we're all looking for!

Susan

jeffkauf

Reply from Dr. Buchfuhrer

Post by jeffkauf »

I did contact Dr. Buchfuhrer with my unusual side effect. Here is his kind reply: "I have never heard of nystagmus with Requip but anything is possible. It is still more likely that this problem is due to something else. The only way to figure this out would be to stop the Requip and see if the problem resolves. You could use a painkiller while off the Requip"

First, I did try skipping a day with the idea of taking Requip every other day. Well, forget it. All of the horrible symptons returned "big time". So, I am still taking 1mg around 10PM daily. I am going to get a prescription for .25 tablets and try taking .75. If that works, I will go down to .50 and see how well that works. I will not, at this time, discontinue the Requip. I simply suffer too much without it and I don't want to use Vicodin as a replacement, which is what I used for quite a while before Requip. Nor do I want to try Mirapex (side effects for this drug simply seem too extreme).
JeffKauf

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The side effects from the Mirapex aren't really all that much worse than Requip. What's weird is that some people have no side effects from either, some have terrible side effects from both, and some find none from one and lots from the other. You could be one that doesn't have any from it. You'd know quickly, so it could be worth it as a backup.

I'm glad you contacted Dr B. I haven't heard of anyone saying anything about this - I read a few RLS boards and have for a few years. That's not saying I didn't miss it, but I doubt it's a common one. That also doesn't mean that it's not really happening to you from the Requip, either! I sure wish we knew more about this stuff. I'm glas you posted in the side effect post. The more people who do, the better we all are.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

You might want to consider Tramadol (Ultram) if you don't want to use Vicodin. It has similar efficacy, at least in my case

stitch

Requip and eyes

Post by stitch »

I was just reading all the post about requip and eye problems. WOW I must be way off the charts with what I take..6 1mg a day plus 5 300mg's of neurontin and that is down from 600mg's a day. I have had 2 major backsurgeries where they went into the spinal column and my RLS were OUT of control. The requip and neurontin is the only thing that helped but now believe I am getting the rebond.

RLS are coming back again around the clock. I can not take pain meds because of serve dry eyes. That is what caught my eye about the requip and eye problems you are having. I did a post under "RLS all my life and now 70/stitch.".....Jeannie