How do you take airplane trips??

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
doety

How do you take airplane trips??

Post by doety »

I just flew to San Diego. Going out there (2 hour trip), I talked to the flight attendants and they were nice. But I went nuts standing back there, feeling stupid. On the return trip, one attendant suggested I just walk up and down the aisle. It was late, and lots of people were sleeping, so I didn't feel so conspicuous. I even met a guy in first class who was standing because....you know! I was glad he told me he had RLS -- I appreciate it so much when people do that. Helps educate us all.
I had sworn I'd never fly again when I took my daughter a couple of years ago on a vacation. It was 3 1/2 hours and the plane was tiny -- 2 seats on each side. I took every pill I had, I tried to play with a hand-held game, I walked and hopped and felt like everyone was watching the strange lady. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TRICKS THEY USE? I'd like to travel a little, but it feels like these airplane rides are torture and I don't know if I can do it again. :evil:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I guess I'm lucky. If I take my regular meds, I'm fine. I get a little now and then, but it's tolerable. I flew back from a business trip to Florida a couple weeks ago. It was a later flight, so I had a bit. But ten to fifteen minutes of walking and stretching and I was fine back in my seat.

For me, taking earlier flights helps a lot. You might get your doc to give you a different/additional drug for the flight. Some people use a small pillow on the floor - that doesn't work too well for me. I also always get an aisle seat and get a emergency row exit seat when possible.

There have been some other posts about it in the last few months. You could see if you could find them - they might help.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

doety

Post by doety »

I definitely always take the earliest flight; that does seem to help. I'm afraid a lot of it is in my head -- I feel trapped, and when I do, my legs go nuts (like at the symphony or in a boring meeting, which thankfully I don't have to attend anymore). I've never known what to do about the psychological part; it seems to be a vicious circle.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Maybe a Valium would help - it would reduce the concern about it and it does slightly help the RLS. I have to take them when I go to the dentist - otherwise all my teeth would have fallen out by now :oops:
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

journey

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Doety
I did a post yesterday about my long airplane journey and about what worked. My outward bound flight was a nightmare, 9 hours with me in tears for a lot of the time thru discomfort and frustration, I had taken valium and codeine without much success. On the return flight I took 2mg requip, which is my usual nightly dose, I did not care that it was an extra dose of medication!! I also took 4 mg of diazepam/valium and also 30 mg codeine. I believe it was the requip that made the difference. Oh, and I also used a blow-up neck support as a cushion for my feet to tread, with my shoes off. I wouldn't take all that medication together as a rule but I was desperate and it did give me a 4 hour flight, and a 6 hour flight, both rls free. I thought I had gone to heaven. good luck, Betty
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

AussieRodney

Post by AussieRodney »

Try a 14-hour flight between the US & Australia!

I usually double everything that I normally take & hope for the best.

I also try to fly early in the day if possible, but on one of those, it's going to be "late" at one end or the other.

Rodney.
Life is not a dress rehearsal, it's the real thing.