Vicodin & Ultram

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Sojourner

Vicodin & Ultram

Post by Sojourner »

Anyone take both Vicodin & Ultram in conjunction with one another? Was mentioned as a possibility for me once and was just wondering if that's a common practice or not as well as any benefits or drawbacks.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I did it once for a while. It has been said that at normal "low" dosages there will be no cross-tolerance, however at higher doses than "normal" I definitely saw the cross-tolerance. Basically what that means is if you are used to getting a buzz of Vicodin, you're not gonna see it become easier by switching to Ultram for a few days. Otherwise, analgesically speaking, I'm pretty sure switching from one to the other on a rotating pattern shouldn't be an issue.

Will you be taking Ultram ER (time released) ? If so, I imagine using some Ultram and VIcodin at low doses should be OK as long as you are tolerant to CNS effects. I'd say go with the Ultram ER and use the Vicodin for breakthrough symptom relief, if necesarry.

You should be fine with either one.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Ultram contraindicates other narcotics on its warning leaflet. I'm not sure how over-zealous that might be, though.

Zach: So ultram won't work for drug holidays? It'd be a shame to be stuck on ultram, as I currently am, and not be getting a holiday out of it.

Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.
Last edited by Aiken on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Well that depends I suppose. I've taken some pretty high doses before, but never really bothered to see how low I could go on maintainence doses. I know I've taken Vicodin and Ultram together once and didn't have an issue. I also did it with Oxycodone, something like 40mg Oxy and around 700mg Ultram so.. Most of the time you see warnings about mixing narcotics, etc. Is because they are all CNS depressants of course, and that goes for any CNS depressant really.. Diphenhydramine, narcotics, benzodiazapenes, etc. I don't usually mix things though, and never narcotics & benzo's, heh..

At any rate try it out for yourself, and see if taking a couple days off from one drug helps out or not.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

In the past I found that Ultram did not particularly work for my rls symptoms, although I did not use more than 100 mg per day, but that it did work for some other pains (back, shoulder). On the other hand, Vicodin worked well for both but did not want to use more vicodin tabs to cover the other pain. So, I thougt I might use Ultram for one and Vicodin for the other. Regarding holidays, am I understanding right in that Ultram will not provide benefits as a "holiday" from vicodin. From readings, it seems the whole idea of drug holidays is a bit controversial anyway.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

rfishburn

Post by rfishburn »

While there is an ultram discussion I wanted to ask a question. Seems to me that the oval ultram pill I had worked differently than the same dose made by another company. The oent hat does not work it a longer pill kind of the like xanax thats in a stick divided into 4 doses...just wanted to throw that out there.
Randy

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Thought I read this on the Souther California Q & A but haven't been able to find it again. Anyway, went something to the effect that alternating the vicodin/ultram every 2 to 7 days would prevent addiction/tolerance to each. Anyone else read something similar?

Neco

Post by Neco »

Yeah, I read that about a year ago.

As for the pills diferences.. The samples I have for Ultram ER are for 100mg 24 hour release. They are small and round.

The generic Tramadol immediate release at long and slightly oval, but have no scoring etched into them. They were 50mg.

Those are the only two kinds of pills I've ever seen. Erowid does have pictures of another kind which seems to be capsules.

rfishburn

Post by rfishburn »

How is the Ultram ER treating you?
Randy

Neco

Post by Neco »

It's essentially the same drug as the generics, so I've moved onto 50mg generics 8/day max. There won't be generic ER's for another 12 years or so according to the pharmacies, so I got these instead. #120 for about $38, not bad considering. ER woulda been way over $100 just for #30

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Mmmm! I have some generic Tramadol that are 50 mg., medium-round white pills with cor127 written on them.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Mine say 377

Usually it's just so they can tell who manufactured it

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner »

700mg/day is waaaaaay too much ultram to be taking. Max is 400mg day lest you desire seizures. What MD in their right mind told you to take that dosage?

Neco

Post by Neco »

8 x 50 = 400mg

That's also my LIMIT, not every day dose.
Anyhow I'm quite aware of how I respond to my meds at various doses