Mirapex Works

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Sheila Hubans

Mirapex Works

Post by Sheila Hubans »

I have lived with rls for several years and have tried everything from narcotics, sleeping pills, and anti-convulcents. For the past three years I have found total relief with Mirapex which is a drug used to treat Parkinson's Disease. There is a trick though. You have to take it before the onset of the symptoms. After the fact, such as already dancing all over the bed or kicking your partner out of bed will not work with Mirapex. If I am driving for several hours I take it about halfway through my trip. At home, I take it around 7P every nite. I haven't noticed any significant side affects. :)
Be well
Sheila

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Sheila

I've been taking Mirapex for at least ten years. I'm currently taking 2 mg. nightly. I have been on as much as 3 mg. and I experienced night terrors, which I attributed to Mirapex.

While Mirapex keeps my RLS under control, for the most part (I also have to take it on time), I do think that I has caused me to gain weight. I'm also experience thinning hair. I've had my thyroid tested and it's fine, so I wonder if it's the Mirapex, as well.

Other than that, it has definitely helped my RLS.

Thanks for posting.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Emily

When I started Mirapex, my symptoms were pretty bad, but I don't know if they were as bad as what you have now. I would have taken gasoline if I thought it would make me feel better---not that I'm saying anyone should take Mirapex or anything else, mind you. I didn't know about the weight gain or (maybe?) hair loss. And, everyone reacts differently to medications, etc.

I still have the occasional outbreak of RLS, even on Mirapex and Clonazepam, but--for the most part--that combination really helps me. But, please don't take this as an endorsement for anyone else to take what I'm taking. I don't know what I'd do if I had it to do all over again and I knew what complications could arise. So far, so good, with augmentation. I don't suffer from it.

My heart goes out to anyone who has RLS, as well, no matter what the level of severity is!

Hugs
Jan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Em, I had very very mild RLS and suffered horrible augmentation. If I am remembering stories correctly, many of those with augmentation had moderate RLS, not severe. Also, usually only those with moderate and severe RLS try the DAs. The only reason I was on it was for the PLMD, not the RLS.

I wouldn't worry about the getting ahead. Yes, it is more difficult. That doesn't mean you can't or don't. Also, many people with severe RLS don't use only one drug - they use two or three together. The Mirapex may not be enough. But, maybe, with one of the opioids or something else, it would be enough.

If it will work, it will. If it will cause nasty side effects, it will and then you'll stop it. It takes some time to build to the right dose even for people who don't have 24/7 RLS. In that time period, you might find you can't tolerate it.

Please don't think I am saying to try it. I'm just voicing my opinion that there is more than one perspective from which to see this.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--

Hopscotch

Post by Hopscotch »

I tried the Miarpex, and not only did it not work for me, I felt like I had a hangover in the morning. :cry:

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I'm sorry neither of you (Emily and Hopscotch) had problems with Mirapex. Some people do. As we've said before, what works for one person may very well not work for another. It's a hit and miss kind of thing.

Good luck to both of you.

Jan

Sheila Hubans

Mirapex

Post by Sheila Hubans »

I can see by some of the replies that Mirapex isn't a fix for everyone. So sorry as I was delighted when it worked for me. Some of the comments regarding opiates were interesting. Liquid cough syrup with codeine or tussinex worked for me also. Of course this isn't a reasonable fix but I discovered it when I went a few rounds with bronchitis. It seems that Neurontin is working well for some, but I couldn't get past 1200mgs w/o being zombie-like.
Good luck to all. I do know for fact that alcohol consumption defintely makes it worse. I finally sacrificed my few game day beers because of it.
Be well,
Sheila

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--

micked

Post by micked »

So, are you saying you do not have a rebound/augmentation from the Mirapex???

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I'm not sure who you are asking, but I do not have rebound/augmentation with Mirapex.

I'm sorry neither of you (Emily and Hopscotch) had problems with Mirapex

The above statement should have read: I'm sorry neither of you (Emily and Hopscotch) are helped by Mirapex. Sorry about that!

Jan