RLS and lack of education of healthcare providers

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Sheila Hubans

RLS and lack of education of healthcare providers

Post by Sheila Hubans »

A few years ago, I had a coronary event which prompted a heart cath. Of course, while the nurse was applying pressure to the artery in my groin, I had a major RLS event. The nurse kept fussing at me to keep my legs still and couldn't understand why I couldn't. THis was a large hospital in a major city and they couldn't locate any Mirapex in pharmacy. It would've been too late for it anyway, but my partner went home and got my prescription for me.
This note was meant to serve as a reminder to tell your healthcare pro about your RLS, so they can be prepared to help you in an even such as the above.

Sheila
Be well
Sheila

stitch

Post by stitch »

Sheila, I am so sorry about your problem but can understand how that would set off a rls attach. When I go in for surgery and I have had 4 back surgeries, I talk to all the dr's, nurses etc about my problem and you are right most have no idea what it is that is going on with you legs and why you can't stop kicking them.

I carry all my info about rls with me and also a list of all meds I am taking and how much. Sometimes I even bring the medications with me. It easy, just type a list of all meds and all the surgeries plus any conditions that you have. Also, all the dr's you see and their phone #'s and your name and if you want your ssc number. Don't forget to put down how much you take, such Lyrcia 50's 3 times a day etc. It makes their job easier and less chance for error and also your job trying to remember what you take when you are in a stressful way. I have all of this in my computer and up date it when I need to. :) Good luck in the future, Jeannie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Both of you remind me to plug the RLS card - you can order them at the San Antonio chapter or print off one from the So Cal support group site. Details to both sites are in the "sticky" on managing RLS in the New to RLS section (click on the link in my signature to get to that thread quickly).

These cards can really help us - but as both you have noted, we really have to talk to our docs and nurses - they really are clueless so often. I had an emergency surgery a few years ago. I was walking the floors all night, in my ratty hospital gown, pulling my little IV stand along with me. What a site that must have been. While that picture is scary, scarier still was the fact that not one nurse had any idea of what I was talking about.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

becat

Post by becat »

HI Shelia and welcome to the board.
We love when people bring this up, educating everyone that surgery is always a big deal, but add RLS to it, welll uuuffffaaaa! :D

My husband had the same test twice, thankfully RLS is not an issue for him, but I thought about that first time. 7-8 hours of pressure and laying in one spot. How awful that must have been for you.

The second time was much better and nothing more than a few hours recovery, like day surgery. They now have a plug that can be sewn in place to clot that artery. So if you ever have to have it done again, I pray not, see if that and pain meds to calm your legs might be in order.

Glad to have you here and thanks for the reminder.
Lynne