Should I start taking Iron Pills now?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Iron Pills

Should I start taking Iron Pills now?

Post by Iron Pills »

I just got diagnosed recently for RLS and prescribed 400mgs of Neurontin. Ive been on it probably 6 days now. After researching that RLS may be caused by Anemia or an Iron Deficiency it dawned on me that I think I may have Anemia or an Iron Deficiency, although I have not had a blood test done in a while. So my question is, should I wait and see how I react on the Neurontin alone first or take the Iron Pill along with the Neurontin now? My goal is to not have to take a lot of medication. :?:
P.S. I am also taking Wellbutrin, Yasmin, Aciphex, and Sonata.

nephriticus

Post by nephriticus »

should I wait and see how I react on the Neurontin alone first or take the Iron Pill

It is my understanding that it is not a wise strategy to ingest additional iron where no iron deficiency has been diagnosed.
Neph
Currently RLS free. Symptoms stopped almost abruptly after my long term, full time care giving duties ended with passing of wife. No stress, no RLS.

ViewsAskew

Check other drugs, too

Post by ViewsAskew »

Neph's advice sounds good. You could ask your doc to check the ferritin levels. Besides, taking iron can be hard to tolerate, so if you don't need it. . . I'd also check your other meds - all SSRIs can cause RLS to worsen as can other meds. Can't remember where, but either here or www.rlshelp.org has a list of meds that cause RLS to worsen. Lots of people get help from specific vitamins and minerals. Your doc could ehck those, too. There are other threads in the non-pharm area that talk about what people take (magnesium, folic acid, B12 I think, calcium, etc.).

jan3213

Medical Alert Card

Post by jan3213 »

Hi, It's Jan

Welcome to this site! Im glad you found us but sorry you have RLS! I think the information ViewsAskew was referring to is a Medical Alert Card which lists all medication you should not take, and some meds that you can tolerate. If you look at the top of this page, you will see SUPPORT GROUPS, click on that and you will see Group Liknks. Click on that, and you will see Southern California support group link--click on that and scroll down until you see Medical Alert Card. It's in PDF form--print it out and you will have something you can carry with you. On the left hand side is a list of information, including meds you should not take. On the right hand side is a place to fill in personal information. I had a bad experience in the hospital last spring, and could have made good use of this card. So, I plan on carrying it with me at all times. You'd be surprised how many medical personnal don't know what RLS is and may very well give you medication that can make it worse. That's what happened to me. Hope this helps. Good luck and once again, welcome!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.