restless leg is winning

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
dianecavanaughmetz@yahoo.

restless leg is winning

Post by dianecavanaughmetz@yahoo. »

After going to a sleep clinic for the second time in 5 years, my doctor (who also suffers) put me on 400 -800 mg of Neurotin and 15 mgs of Methadone. My question is has anyone else been prescibed Methadone and how are you with takeing it? Last question, Is anyone having pain with their restless leg syn.? I have already exhausted the leva-dopa and most pain killers so am quite interested in what you have to say.
Thank you.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hello,

Methadone works quite well for me, though I hate taking medicine. The relief usually lasts all day. I would recommend eating before you take the pill, its made me a bit sick in the past if I havent.

As for pain with my RLS? I dont really think so, there have been shooting pains a few times, but I dont know if it was RLS related or not.

becattx

pain with RLS

Post by becattx »

I have had RLS all my life. It started as growing pains before the age of four. Has never stopped. I use to take a warm bath at night to relieve the pain. However, after I broke my leg/ankle 10 yrs ago, the pain has been increasingly worse. by the way, I have sereral family members with RLS and more than one w/pain.
I finally researched myself to sleep everynight for 2 years, found a local doctor, I started on Mirapex about 2 yrs ago. It worked well for the first 10 months was heaven, hardly any pain. I was having only "attacks" that lasted 2-3 days. I believe I'm building up a tolerance to it, a scary thought.
I have used pain medication in the past year for my RLS. I do this for long car trips, EVERY plane trip, sometimes when I've sat too long working. I don't like taking the medications, but I want some quality of life.
I wish you the best.
Becat

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Check out the "New to RLS" forum also. Nadia has asked about pain there and several have answered. Thankfully I haven't had pain for awhile and I hope you can find relief soon. Keep us posted on your journey. Maybe what works for you can help someone else.
Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.

deepthinker

Nuerontin

Post by deepthinker »

I used Nuerontin on it's own for RLS and thought it worked wonders. Not only did the RLS subside, the Nuerontin put me into really deep sleep - It felt great after years of not sleeping. And I was on the lowest possbile dose.

Now I do sinemet, which certainly is not as effective.

Drugs

Post by guest »

I have never tried any non-drug therapy other then taking hot baths sometimes when it gets really bad. So far I have only tried one drug and that is Neurontin 600-900 milligrams per day. It works. I still get rls sometimes on plane rides and car rides but then I just take an extra pill of neurontin and that will usually stop it. I did have a bad time with Neurontin at first. the first few weeks were horrible actually. but once my body adjusted to it i never had another problem whatsoever, took my doc alot of convincing to get me to stay on it, but i'm glad I did now. It's been a couple of months now and I feel great. Still have some crazy dreams sometimes at night, but that is of no concern to me, i'd rather sleep with crazy dreams then not sleep at all. I hate taking pills though, even though I really do not have side effects from Neurontin, i just hate pills. But I do take Neurontin every day no matter what. I do hope though one day they find a cure for it, until then, this is the closest thing I guess...... for now at least.