Whoops! Is excessive gas a problem for you?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
mowenlind

Whoops! Is excessive gas a problem for you?

Post by mowenlind »

:shock:
Sorry to bring this up, but does anyone else while suffering severe RLS suffer from excessive gas? Not as a result of medication, just simply miserable gas?

"I can see the moon now that the barn burned down"
Mowenlind

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can't say I do. . .but I do have a possibility. Have you had RLS a long time and does anyone else in your family have it? The reason I ask is because there are many other conditions that can cause RLS - then it's called secondary. When you treat the other condition, the RLS often improves. One of those conditions is celiac disease. One of the symptoms of celiac is gas - along with many other GI symptoms. Of course, gas alone does not mean celiac, but it's worth looking into. 1 in 150 people have celiac, and about 80% are undiagnosed. Of those undiagosed, about 30% have RLS.

Of course, just a thought. . .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Haggi

Post by Haggi »

It's not a problem for me.

It is, however, a problem for the passengers in my car. Especially when I lock the windows and turn off the vent.
--Haggi

mowenlind

Thank you!

Post by mowenlind »

I am going to the neurologist 4/9 and will relate this. I have asked before if digestion could have anything to do with RLS and have been told no. Now we will see. Blessings
Mowenlind

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I've noticed a mechanical cause. My daytime RLS basically amounts to just enough irritation to bounce my knee most of the day. I've noticed that when I'm doing this, gas tends to percolate out a lot more.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Your neuro might not be aware of the relationship between celiac and RLS. He also may think that celiac is rare (it is only recently that they have learned it is far from rare). As of last year, a study showed that the average time to diagnosis was at least 8-10 years. Heck, many docs have as little idea about celiac as they do about RLS. BUT, as the DW of a man with celiac, I can assure you that the two do go together. They talk about it a lot over on the celiac board I frequent and every so often a person posts here to say that their RLS completely went away after their celiac diagnosis.

Again, this doesn't mean you have it. . .but it is totally worth having a blood test. And you need the RIGHT tests - may docs do not do the right ones.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.