Tylenol PM

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
carolefreeman

Tylenol PM

Post by carolefreeman »

How does Typenol pm affect RLS? A neighbor just gave me one since I complained on being short on sleep. It contains diphenhydramine which seems to be the active ingradient in Benydril, so that doesn't sound so good. . . . .

I'd appreciate any info

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Benadryl is bad for most of us. Makes my RLS go crazy. I had to take it a couple times before I figured that out. It probably won't help you sleep. :( Can you get a prescription sleeping pill, like Ambien, Lunesta or Sonata from your doctor? Those usually don't cause problems. They don't always work for everyone, though.

Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I must say that, for me, Ambien seems to be more effective than Lunesta and Sonata, which are similar to each other for me. Unfortunately, Ambien also makes me progressively more nauseated, the longer I take it. However, for a short-term MUST-sleep-tonight drug, I'd probably still pick Ambien out of the three. I just wouldn't/couldn't use it for more than a couple of nights in a row. Other people have different experiences, of course.

Tylenol PM is just plain bad news. Makes my brain desperately want to sleep, but doesn't turn enough of it off to allow that to happen. Instead, I lie there for hours, in a fever-like fog, thinking in crazy little circles, and thrashing around because the PM also cranks my RLS up to 11. Gah. Just say, "no."
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Ambien, LOL! The CR version gave me hallucinations. No more of that for me. Although I did wake up rested the next morning. :shock:

Yeah, Lunesta and Sonata are pretty weak. But I had the one crazy doctor write me a script for Ativan, and that works pretty well for getting me to sleep at night. I'll use that while it lasts, because I don't think I'm going to get any sleep doctor to sign on to prescribe me Ativan for sleep.

When I take Lunesta, I take 2 - 2mg tablets about an hour apart. That's over the recommended prescription dose. And it usually works when I take 2.

I know what you mean about the Tylenol PM. Total brain fog with total RLS. Not enough concentration to figure out what to do about the RLS, so I just lie there and suffer. Yuck. I had a similar experience with Rozerem.

Oh, the joys of trying to get some sleep!

Susan

ray

Post by ray »

Diphenhydramine (benedryl) is without a doubt the the biggest trigger (at least for me) for making my RLS worse.

I have taken Nyquil which is diphenhydramine free when i've had a bad flu and it worked without making my RLS worse.

Hope that helps,

Ray :D