New to the Boards....Amatryptaline, Klonopin, Hydrocodone

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
seahawkgirl

New to the Boards....Amatryptaline, Klonopin, Hydrocodone

Post by seahawkgirl »

Hi Everyone! I have been reading these boards for over a week now and so much emotion goes through me when I read what all of you are going through. It truly is heartbreaking to know that doctors, friends, even family don't understand this horrible condition.

My mother was diagnosed with it a little over 2 years ago and we have been through all the medications...neurontin, sinemet, requip, mirapex, lorazepam, xanax, etc. We finally found a neurologist this last week who discovered some of the other meds my mom was taking for other conditions caused akinisia and were amplifying her RLS symptoms. Those meds were stopped and replaced with others that don't interfere and cause adverse side affects. She has also stopped eating sugar, chocolate, cafffeine, alcohol and items with aspartame which seem to increase RLS symptoms.

The last few weeks prior to this were horrible for her...she was pacing, panicked, in excrutiating pain and lacked sleep. She is now on amatryptaline, hydrocodone and klonopin...and the difference and turn around in her overall feeling and the symptoms is nothing short of a miracle. Amatryptaline seems to be the difference. The other meds she was already on, but adding that one piece has made a world of difference.

I hope all of you find the comfort and strength to go on with this. It is a hard fight, something no one should go through alone! I commend all of you for sharing your information, being candid and honest and most of all for treating each other with care and concern.

I am glad I found you as a resource! You all are great! :D
Deb

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Deb

I'm very glad you found this forum, also. I'm so sorry about your mom. The good thing about this place is it's available for people who need it. The bad thing about this forum, is that people NEED it. I wish I had a magic wand so I could wipe out RLS completely. But, unfortunately it's not that easy! lol

I'm glad your mom has found something to help her right now. We CAN get through this, we all just go through rough spots, some more than others. But, thank God we have each other.

Please let us know how your mom is doing (and you, too).

Welcome, Deb.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Amitryptiline is one weird med. In some RLSers, it makes it MUCH worse. In others, it helps a lot. Very, very strange. Hazel took it for one day and had the worst experience of her life on it. Yet, Nadia took it for a long time with success.

Glad your mom found success. It really shows how different we are. Everytime someone says, "What works?" it's impossible to answer because what works is different. While many of the cases do respond to Mirapex or Requip as a starting point, those of us who don't respond seem to need extremely varied combos.

Here's to each of us finding what works for us.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

seahawkgirl

Post by seahawkgirl »

Ann and Jan thank you so much for the encouraging words. It is truly amazing to see how much all of you care for one another. My mom is doing better, we are taking each day as a small miracle and hoping it gets better from here.

Each person is so different, it just is so hard to find what works and what doesn't. Thankfully for us, we may be on to something good. We can only hope and pray! Thank you for welcoming me! I already feel like I found a new family!

Love to you all
Deb