Severe allergies and RLS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
slee

Severe allergies and RLS

Post by slee »

I have severe allergies which include both food and environmental (pollen, fragences, mold, etc). I did go through the shots but suffered a systemic reaction and can no longer have the shots. What I am wondering has experienced this and were they able to find a medicine that would not make their RLS worse. I am on Clonizpam for my RLS which works well for me. I tried Requip and it was a nightmare. My allergy meds are Allegra and Singular. I sometimes have to add Benydral to help stop the itching which makes my RLS worse. My doctor has tried other allergy meds but they all seem to make the RLS worse and even stopping doesn't improve. Any suggestions? My doctor does take the RLS seriously, he has told me more than once that "RLS isn't life threatenly, but it is life debiliating".

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Many of us do fine with Allegra or that other one - can't think of the name (starts with a C maybe?). These newer ones do not cross the blood-brain-barrier, so work differently. I have not had any trouble with either (too bad I can't think of the name!). Dr Buchfurer says they usually work, but not always. The book is available at Amazon and is by Buchfurer, Hening, and Kushida. They even include a chart regarding alternatives to antihistamines. That might be worth getting for that alone. They also list all the other meds that can worsen RLS.

Have you been tested for celiac desease? Or even gluten intolerance? It can instigate RLS and since it's an autoimmune disorder, many people suffer multiple problems with it. I see so many people on the celiac board that have multiple intolerances - to food and environment. When they stop the gluten, they get better, but still have to watch it. Many of them don't eat multiple things - sound like you already know a lot about this, though!

Your doc is right about that, isn't he? But, when I'm in the middle of a long stretch of unrelenting RLS, it is so debilitating that I almost wish it were life-threatening. Then I'd at least see an end in site. :roll:
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Allegra, Claritin, and Singulair are the antihistamines that are not supposed to make RLS worse.

I was surprised (shocked!) that Dr. Buchfuhrer lists Zyrtec as one of the antihistamines that can make RLS worse. I take it anyway when my allergies are bad. 8)

Susan

slee

Post by slee »

The Allergra and Singular do not make the RLS worse, but they are not enought to take care of my allergies. The Zyrtec doesn't even touch my allergies and the new version of Clariton, Clarinex made the RLS worse. Also the Clariton didn't touch the allergies. The allergies wouldn't be so bad but for the itching inside my head and it seems anything that stops the itching makes the RLS worse. He is talking about my trying Vistaril. Anyone know about this?

rtlegpain

Post by rtlegpain »

I'm getting over a head cold and added benadryl to my zyrtec and my rls came back. I'm stoping Benadryl immediately to see if it goes away.

I'm simply amazed as I have ferritin deficiency which I thought caused the rls which resolved except for this recent episode.

ctravel12

severe allergies and rls

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi rtlegpain. I am glad that you are stopping the benadryl. Just by reading some of the posts on the board, it has been said that the rls comes raging back in full force.

I hope that you are feeling better. I know I had a cold the first part of the year and I took tylenol cold and I wanted to put my legs through the wall. The sad thing is that alot of us cannot take some of the otc meds as it really does a number on our rls.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can still remember the first time I took cold medicine that had Benadryl in it. I was in my late teens and had had RLS for a few years, but very infrequently. Anyway, I had a sinus infection and took some multi-formula that helps all symptoms. It immediately made me tired and I can remember laying on the couch, thinking I'd take a snooze. As soon as I got comfortable and started to drift off, WHAM! I was so astonished. I couldn't keep my eyes open, but I couldn't sleep. It seemed so bizarre in my drug-addled brain and exhausted sick body. I thought that couple hours would never end.

Slee, it sure sounds like you are in a really tough spot.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

slee wrote: He is talking about my trying Vistaril. Anyone know about this?

Vistaril is another one that's bad, like Benadryl. Can you take more of whatever you take for your RLS to cover your symptoms? That can be an option when you need to take meds that make the RLS worse.

Susan

debkenny

Post by debkenny »

Slee,

Have you tried hydroxyzine? I use it for severe itching that I get due to allergies, and I haven't noticed it affecting my rls in anyway. I believe it's actually a nerve medication, but I take a very low dose of it (5mg) and it's enough to stop the itching without making me drowsy.
Don't knock it till you've tried it. Different things work for different people. Raining on everyone's parade doesn't work for anyone!

slee

Post by slee »

Thanks for the support and suggestions. I am going back to the doctor today regarding my allergies and will also discuss taking more of my Clonozipam during allergy season so I can get some sleep. I check and the hydroxyzine is the same as Vistaril. I guess this is one of the meds that some can take and some can't.

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

Vistaril= hydroxyzine
Josh

ctravel12

severe allergies and rls

Post by ctravel12 »

Hey Josh it is good to see you back posting. Missed seeing you on the board. Hope all is ok with you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time