Strange, but true...

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SirenB

Strange, but true...

Post by SirenB »

I am new to this site, but about a week ago I happened upon a pharmacuetical that appears to have inadvertantly helped me what had been increasingly severe RLS. I have comorbid joint problems, and about a week ago my father suggested that I try an NSAID called Mobic, which his doctor had recently prescribed for him. He had experienced miraculous results with it, and I agreed to give it a shot. After taking it for only two days, I found that while my joint pain had improved only a little, I was sleeping more soundly, and I had fallen asleep without the aid of any opiate derivatives both nights!! It has been four nights now, and I still have not had to take anything before bedtime! I do experience a little pre-slumber "leg crawling," but not enough to keep me from sleeping, and not enough to wake me up five minutes after falling asleep.

I am crossing my fingers that this is not just a fluke, but in case it's not, I wanted to share. Also, I was wondering if anyone else had heard of NSAIDs aiding in the treatment of RLS?

Thanks for any feedback!

becat

Hi

Post by becat »

Hi SirenB,
Well, honestly I had to look it up.......
The maker of this drug of course does not say that it is in use for RLS, but how many can. I went to this website and found this information about the drug.

http://www.cares.arthritis.arizona.edu/about.html

MOBIC Product Sheet
GENERIC NAME
Meloxicam

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Each Mobic® (meloxicam) tablet is a once-daily treatment indicated for relief of the signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.1 The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved MOBIC tablets in OA on April 14, 2000 and in RA on July 16, 2004. It has been shown to provide effective relief of osteoarthritis symptoms with gastrointestinal tolerability similar to placebo.2,3

INDICATION
MOBIC is indicated for relief of the signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.4

DOSING AND ADMINISTRATION
The lowest dose of MOBIC should be sought for each patient. For the treatment of osteoarthritis, the recommended starting and maintenance oral dose of MOBIC is 7.5 mg once daily. Some patients may receive additional benefit by increasing the dose to 15 mg once daily. For the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, the recommended starting and maintenance oral dose of MOBIC is 7.5 mg once daily. Some patients may receive additional benefit by increasing the dose to 15 mg once daily. The maximum recommended daily oral dose of MOBIC is 15 mg, regardless of formulation. Both doses may be given orally in a convenient, once-daily dosing regimen without regard to timing of meals.5

The starting and maintenance dose for MOBIC is 7.5mg once daily. Some patients may receive additional benefit by increasing the dose to 15mg once daily. Higher doses of MOBIC (22.5mg and greater) have been associated with an increased risk of serious GI events; therefore, the daily dose of MOBIC should not exceed 15mg.6

CLINICAL TRIALS
The use of MOBIC tablets for the treatment of the signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis was evaluated in the United States through a double-blind, controlled trial involving 464 patients treated with MOBIC tablets for 12 weeks. MOBIC tablets were shown to be effective in the treatment of osteoarthritis and demonstrated gastrointestinal tolerability similar to placebo.7

Outside the United States, the use of MOBIC for the management of signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis was evaluated in six double-blind, active-controlled trials in which a total of 9,589 patients were treated for four weeks to six months. In these trials, the efficacy of MOBIC tablets, in doses of 7.5 and 15 mg/day, was comparable to 20 mg piroxicam and 100 mg diclofenac SR (slow release) and was consistent with the efficacy seen in the U.S. trial.8

The use of MOBIC for the treatment of the signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis was evaluated in a double-blind, controlled multinational trial involving 1184 patients treated with MOBIC for 12 weeks. MOBIC (7.5 mg, 15 mg and 22.5 mg daily) was compared to placebo. The primary endpoint in this study was the ACR20 response rate, a composite measure of clinical, laboratory and functional measures of RA response. Patients receiving MOBIC 7.5 mg and 15 mg daily showed significant improvement in the primary endpoint compared with placebo. No incremental benefit was observed with the 22.5 mg dose compared to the 15 mg dose.9

Higher doses of MOBIC (22.5 mg and greater) have been associated with an increased risk of serious GI events; therefore the daily dose of MOBIC should not exceed 15 mg.9

CONTRAINDICATIONS
MOBIC is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to meloxicam. It should not be given to patients who have experienced asthma, urticaria, or allergic-type reactions after taking aspirin or other NSAIDs. Severe, rarely fatal, anaphylactic-like reactions to NSAIDs have been reported in such patients.10

To be honest SirenB, we all are so different that if you find something that works for you, all the best wishes to ya. It's such a trial and error thing with RLS that we use what we can that seems to help. God Bless you found something for you. Now all you need is your own supply.
We're sorry you had to find us, but we're glad to have you now. Your welcome to stick around and share like the rest of us. We're a great bunch of people in the same boat as you. Look forward to hearing from you again.
Best Wishes.

Sirenb

Post by Sirenb »

Uhggh! :roll: Hi, Becat - I just wrote a long response thanking you for your support and for sharing the information on Mobic, but because it is 3:00 A.M., and I have been up most of the night with RLS symptoms and am therefore exhausted, I accidentlly lost it!

Unfortunately, the Mobic was apparently just a fluke. Over the years I have been granted periodic respites from symptoms, and I suspect this was what happened. I have just moved to a new town to begin a Ph.D. program, and I am really worried that RLS might keep me from succeding. I will keep trying to find some relief, though, and I am grateful to have found this website to comisserate, learn and share.

Thank you again for the welcome. I think I will go search for testimonials for a while from people who have found some relief...

becat

AWWWWW

Post by becat »

AWWWW SirenB,
No problem, but darn I'm nosy and would have loved to read that long post. LOL
I'm so sorry you felt like it was all a fluke with the medication. I felt that way for two years on Mirapex. It does great for some people, but mine was a short trial and error. Your not alone there.
About the moving and the new doc., you know what I love to say......Educate yourself, you'll probably have to educate your doctor as well. It's sad but so true. I think most of us old regulars tell people that all the time. education is your best defense against ignorance about this disorder. You know your body best and what works for you.
You may need the RLS Handbook the RLS Algorithm. It's the current guide to diagnosis and treatment. Print several off, it's an easy way to give your new doc an idea about what is going on.

http://www.mayo.edu/proceedings/2004/jul/7907crc.pdf

Don't be affraid to help choose the path of YOUR treatment. The truth is that everyone of us is different and we don't all respond to the listed treatments. I mean, everything they use to treat RLS is an "off-label" treatment. There is no clear defined treatment across the board for everyone of us. What works for you simple works.
My greatest call to all of us is your own Quality of Life issues. You can be the Only one to decide that.
I'm so glad your here. Don't give up, we're not. We have hope and you know with the right treatment that all is possible again.
No flukes here honey, hard work, but worth it.
Hey smiles to ya. Hope the next posting is a smoother deal. I hope you found some rest, too.