PLMD

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Jen, PLMW refers to the involuntary twitching, kicking and jerking. RLS is the sensations/pain and the urgent need to move the affected limbs to relieve those sensations.

I honestly don't have a whole lot of ideas for how to get through the next couple days before you get your Oxy refilled. You can look at the non-pharmaceutical section of the board. It's full of ideas about how to ease the symptoms without meds. People have had good luck with epsom salt baths, exercise, massage, supplements, sleeping on their stomachs, whatever.

Can you get in to see your doctor, or another one in the clinic, on an emergency basis?
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

To add to what Susan said, PLM - whether awake or asleep - is flexion of the body part - it can even be just the toe! But, often is from the ankle or the knee. Rarely (so they think) it affects the arms.

What PLM doesn't seem to cover is the other weird movements that some of us get. Either the definition isn't right, or they have completely missed another aspect of severe RLS.

Per the Mirapex, it is extremely possible that you can tolerate this drug - just not at that dose. I couldn't start out that high, and many of us can't. But, many neuros think we can. I'd cut one of those in 4 pieces and take one piece and see what happens. At that dose starting out, I still had mild side effects, but I could live with them. It can then be increased in a few days, another small bit at a time.

If you decide to try it, that approach may lessen how difficult the next two days will be. Then again, it just may be too low to help much as all. Though, I've often wondered if those of us who are most sensitive to the side effects are also the ones who can get by on a lot less of it...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

abbycakes

Post by abbycakes »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the support. As I was scrolling to the end of this post, I realized that I turned it into something about myself (Sorry! Should have started a new post!).

I see the difference between the PLMW and RLS. I definitely only have PLMD.

As for the Mirapex, I called the doc at the Sleep clinic and he's out of town until Tuesday! :( The doctor covering his patients said (this was through a receptionist) that he didn't feel comfortable putting me on a new drug. What the heck? My husband said to try calling my PCP or neuro and ask them to call in a prescription for Klonopin, because that's what worked the best. But, I had to take 1 1/2 pills, and it started making me walk into walls if I woke up in the middle of the night. Would that be a drug seeking behavior if I called my PCP or neuro to request this? That's the last thing I want in my files.

I still feel nauseus (SP???) even after only taking 1/2 a pill at 7:00 last night and 1/2 before bed (11:00). I guess I'm a gluten (SP??) for punishment!

I can do this...I can make it until Friday!!! (I hope!!)

Take care and sleep well!
Jen :)

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Jen, I think it's ok to direct the post to concerns of your own. You get information and we all learn. Posts kinda have a life of their own and usually have a way of turning back into themselves.'

I guess in you last post I did not know which pills you were referring to.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

The RLS is different because you just feel the need to move your leg around and you choose to move it around to release the tension.

The PMLW is different because you cannot control it. Your legs/arms jerk without you making a conscious effort to move them.

Now this is the way I have understood it--if I am wrong please tell me.

The Mirapex works in the morning to make the sensations of moving want to go away. The Darvocet works in the afternoon and evening to stop the involuntary movements. I can still feel my legs wanting to move underneath but it's like something makes them stay down and not move.

Rachel

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You know, it's sort of funny. The RLS seems to eventually cause movement, too. If I don't move, my body will eventually twitch. But, I can still tell the difference from PLMs. I don't have the NEED to move that I do with the RLS. With the RLS, the feeling that I HAVE to move is sooooo strong. I just can't ignore it. When I do, my body moves itself by in involuntary twitch. But it's to relieve that feeling.

With PLM, I just move. I don't have any precursor feelings. Well, I do if I'm having RLS at the same time, and usually I am. But, again, it's more of a flexion in which the body part shoots out in a particular way.

Weird, isn't it?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Didn't know where to post this--the neurontin thread, the thread on sleeping positions, which I can't find right now, or here--so I chose here.

This seems really weird. Currently taking neurontin and ultram/vicodin for rls/plmd-plmw. Have been experimenting a bit with the neurontin dosage, with dr. permission, and currently have settled in the 1500/1800 mg range. Chronic insomnia also a major problem.

Although I have been experimenting a bit with the timing of my meds, they are safely on board for several hours before I attempt to sleep. Historically, I have always slept on my stomach. But, with the advent of the plmd, this has been a necessity as if if turn to lay on one side or the other as well as my back the plmw will begin almost immediately. However, while laying on my stomach the plmw seems somewhat controlled--more often than not. Sooo, why do the meds seem to work when I'm on my stomach and not when I'm on my side or back?

I began to think that maybe what I feel when I move on my side or back has something to do with a pinched nerve or some other thing and not the plmd/plmw. However, the plm's will not occur while I am watching tv while laying on my back or side while on the couch so that seems to discount the pinched nerve or back thing. To complicate things, when I seem to get into my circadian rhythm about 5 am in the morning and things are going well, I can sometime lay in any position and not be bothered by the PLM's. Again, seems to rule out the pinched nerve/back theory.

So, what is unique about the side/back position that virtually always results in plm's? Anybody else experience anything like this?
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

fenris

Post by fenris »

ViewsAskew wrote:You know, it's sort of funny. The RLS seems to eventually cause movement, too. If I don't move, my body will eventually twitch. But, I can still tell the difference from PLMs.

Yep, same here. When I had the creepy-crawly variety of RLS, it felt like a charge would build up, like static electricity, then discharge with a big foot twitch. The PLMs don't feel anything like that - there's no sensory buildup, they just twitch, and a little later, twitch again. Since I'm sleeping when this happens, I only feel one or two of these before I completely wake up.

fenris

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Mark, I'm totally guessing here. . .I'd say that the meds just aren't controlling it. I'd guess that, like a lot of us, you've found a positional adjustment that works in conjunction with the meds. Weird how positions of sleep can eliminate or inhibit RLS or PLMs, but they do. I'm guaranteed an easier time in some positions than others. So, when my meds aren't handling it 100%, if "assume the position" I'm fine.

The insomnia part really is problematic. That much neurontin and I'd not be able to open my eyes, lol. I wonder if you had better control through the meds if that would lessen. I do find that I'm just more "awake" once I have the RLS. Of course, just guessing on my part.

Hey, did you get my PM? Just let me know. Thanks :wink:

Managing Your RLS

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

A, Replied to the pm. Obviously you did not receive it. As per one of my previous posts, I seem to have trouble with that aspect of the site. Will try to retrieve it and re-send. We are up late...again! Darn.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hmmm, send to my email instead? Did you get my email? If so, reply to it.

Managing Your RLS