Mirapex and Blood Pressure

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
heattg

Post by heattg »

My doctor recently switched me from Requip to Mirapex. We both felt the Requip had quit working, after a few dosage adjustments.
I began The Mirapex starter pack that evening. A blood pressure check, at my Dentist's office, a week later yielded 140/100. All records they had showed about a 120/80 average. My blood pressure has never been higher than that. Within the week before my return visit, to the doctor,it ranged anywhere from 130/92 to 160/120. 130/76 at the check on this visit.

My doctor has't heard of or experienced this reaction attributed to Mirapex. Since I make it a practice, to not take any other medications at all, when starting a new drug. I often have funny reactions to new medication, therefore any thing strange likely is the result of the new drug.
He felt that the Mirapex, might possibly be the cause, so we postponed continuing Mirapex. till a later date.

Has anyone heard of or experienced something similar?

Tony

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So far, the warnings have been the opposite - that it can cause a drop in blood pressure. But, to me, if it can cause a drop, who says it can't cause a rise? (That's why I'm not a doc, lol).

Mine definitely went WAY down when I took it - to like 95-100 over 55-65. It's normally about 110-115 over 70-80. As soon as I stopped the Mirapex, the BP went back up.

So, I'm no help at all, am I? :lol:
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

heattg

Post by heattg »

I've been Mirapex-less for 48 hours now. I finally got a reading of 122/83 just a short while ago. Maybe my discontinuing Mirapex is the answer too.

Thanks,

Tony

ctravel12

mirapex and blood pressure

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Tony and welcome to the group. I am on mirapex and do not have any problem with my b/p. Went to the dr yesterday for a check up and my b/p was 112/60 so I guess that I am not any help there for you. However, if you need support, I am here for you all the way.

I hope that you are able to find a happy medium and please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

heattg

Post by heattg »

The times I've checked it since that 48 hour mark, all have shown to be my normal 120/80 average.

I might be the 1 in 5000 or so, that it affects this way. The way I felt, towards the end, I hope I'm the only one.

Tony

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, thank goodness you got off of it. Now, for finding something that does work. . .

You know, we've had some people post of some pretty strange side effects, most of which aren't listed anywhere. Sometimes, it's that we are seeing it before the doctors are (gambling, weight gain, etc.) and sometimes it's just a onetime thing.

Since it sounds like it was so miserable for you, I'll also hope it's a 1 in 5000 thing.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

BruceB

Post by BruceB »

I was taking a very low dosage of Mirapex which was not helping me. My Dr. told me to step up the Mirapex. When I increased my dosage, my BP went to 150/100. Now I am on a BP medication. I'm sure it was the Mirapex that elevated my BP. My Dr. insists that if anything, Mirapex would have lowered my BP.

heattg

Post by heattg »

I would give anything in the world, to be able, to say beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the Mirapex caused my BP problems.

The only sure thing I can say, is that , after allowing time for my system, to clear itself, of the Mirapex, my BP returned to normal. My doctor could only give me an estimate, of the clearing time. Beyond that, he really didn't know either.

My hope is that, despite any reason why or what messed it up, you've gotten it back under control. Since I had never had any problems, up till this point, only now can I understand, just how miserable BP problems make you feel, along with this RLS thing we all seem to share

Tony

cadmonkey

Post by cadmonkey »

Sorry to hear about your BP issues. I just went back into the doc Friday and had 110/70ish. I've always been a rock steady 120/80. Since starting the Mirapex I've noticed I'm a bit more lightheaded at times too.