Substitute for Ultram?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
wildflwr43

Substitute for Ultram?

Post by wildflwr43 »

Hi fellow Nightwalkers!
I am new to this list and have noticed that quite a few people have gotten relief with Ultram. I tried it and became violently ill, as I am also allergic to Codeine. Does anyone know of a similar drug as a substitute. As background, I am 61 y/o, have had RLS all my life. I have walked the floor so much, I probably could have walked to the moon and back! I had no luck with sinemet/levodopa and went on Permax. I am thinking of switching to Mirapex since Permax recently has been reported to contribute to heart valve irregularities. I have enough trouble with the RLS!! Any words of wisdom?

Diane in Crystal River
"You only go this way once, and if you do it right, once is enough!"

wildflwr43

Post by wildflwr43 »

I am replying to my own message! I forgot to mention that I also take Trazedone at night for sleep. I also have fibromyalgia so occasionally take Flexeril for that.

:P

becat

Welcome wildflwr43

Post by becat »

WElcome to you Wildflwr43......
So glad to found us. Yup, you have options. It's really going to depend on what you and your body handle best. It's a true test of time and will power to find the one that is right for you.
Your first and best defense is what your doing here. Educated yourself and do it well. Too many doctors don't know much about this disorder. Even fewer know how to treat it well. The secret is for you to be your own Gatekeeper with your treatment. There is tons of great information on this board. You'll have great reading ahead of you here.
Mirapex is fine. Many people have used it for years and had good results. Not so good for others. For myself, it worked maybe 6-8 months before I had to up the dose. I did this off and on for 2 years and decided to go a different path. I take percodan 1/4 - 1/2 tab in the early evenings and am seeing good results. I'm not 100 % free from symptoms or pain, but I can handle what I've got now. Sleep is returning to my life with the aid of medications.
You are going to want to print off and read the "RLS handbook" ....

RLS Algorithm

http://www.mayo.edu/proceedings/2004/jul/7907crc.pdf

This is what is used, for now, as a treatment and diagnosis plan. It will help to print off two. One for you to study and the other for any doctors you go to. This is a good way to learn about the medications that are most often used to treat RLS. All are "off-label" use right now, nothing yet approved to target RLS. You might find that one medication works for you. You may need more than one medication to cover the symptoms, a RLS COCKTAIL of sorts.
Below is a link to the Southern Califorina Group. It has a medical card to print off. It is complete with a listing of drugs that RLSers need to avoid. Very helpful.
http://www.rlshelp.org/

There is also the non-pharm thread on this board, helpful things that people have tried. Of course, they don't all work for everyone, just like medications. It's just nice to add some choices.
The last link I will give you is the RLS REBEL, Jill Gunzel. She has a great website full of non-pharm tips to help anyone cope.
www.rlsrebel.com
Diane, this is really what you need. You know your body, lifestyle, and what your willing to take. It really comes down to your Quality of life and what you need to do to have a good one. According to the Southern California Group Trazdone should not effect your RLS in a bad way. However, I would let any doctor know your taking it. It may not mix well with certain medications.
I hope this helps in some way. It at least had to make you sleepy, Haha ha ha.
WElcome to the group. We've got a great group and I'm sure you'll find them helpful and caring.
Look forward to hearing how things are going for you.

cornelia

mirapex

Post by cornelia »

Yes, Wldflwr43, why not try it, or Requip for that matter. If you have 24/7 RLS you might try Cabergoline. It has a half life of 65 hours, but can have the same valvular problems. But I have learned that C is very expensive in the USA.
Good luck!

Corrie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Requip seems to have less augmentation problems than Mirapex, but Mirapex works well for many. I would definitely try them and see what happens. When other stuff doesn't work and your qualityof life suffers, in my book you can try anything! Worst happens is that it doesn't work and you try something else. Many people do end up with a "cocktail" that works for them. It can take some time and work to find the right one.

Good luck!

Ann

wildflwr43

Post by wildflwr43 »

Many thanks to all who posted information in response to my message. I have followed the various links and have found some great information. Now I have to start reading! I can do it while I walk at 2:00 a.m. :P :P

Diane