Tramadol Side Affects?!?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Catfish

Tramadol Side Affects?!?

Post by Catfish »

So it is day 3 with the Tramadol.
Last night I slept very poorly, tossing and turning and such.
Today, I have a headache, shortness of breathe and my muscles are all, I don't know, tight I guess. My jaw is definitely tight.
Am I supposed to give this time to work itself into my system or would this be considered unusual?
I don't want to jump the gun after 3 days if I need to give it some time... you know what I mean?
Comments, suggestions?
Catfish
If you see the Buddha on the road, kill him...

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Various people have posted that Tramadol makes them a bit energized and makes it hard to sleep. So do many of the opioids like hydrocodone or oxycodone. (The same with jaw clenching and headache.) People often need a sleeping pill in addition to those meds.

As for the shortness of breath - Please call your doctor about that!
Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

Yeah, if you were on it longer and had missed a dose, I would chalk that up to withdrawal, but this earlier into the game you want to double check with your doc, esp about shortness of breath!

It -could- be a psychological reaction, but unless you have been pre-occupied with thoughts like "omg am I going through resperatory depression?" it shouldn't advance to that stage.

Definitely call your doc. The insomnia can be an issue for sure. Usually though I never hit insomnia walls until I was taking large doses for prolonged periods of times.

Methadone has definitely given me some insomnia type effects, but on tramadol I dunno.. There have been periods on all meds where I could stay up for days at a time, but that involved heavy redosing (as an addict).

I never experienced muscle tightening, etc. But I noticed with my hyperreflexia a lot of involuntary jerks had a "tense" feeling to them. But that was more of a dexterous snapping sensation (think when you're scared and you shift your eyes/head to one direction very quickly without thinking about it).

Call your doc for sure in any case.. Keep taking it if you feel comfortable with that, and try and take notice if those feelings fade as the meds kick in.

Catfish

Post by Catfish »

it is very strange indeed...
I know that sometimes you have to find a happy dose, play around with it for a while until you know what time and how much to take to have the most benefit...
And I am familiar with the whole titration deal, building up slowly to a therapeutic dose...
But this kinda sucks.
I am going to give it another day, or at least until noonish tomorrow. I need to make a follow up appt. with the Neuro anyhow, so I will see how I am feeling at that time... I could just be having a bad day, and so many people have found help in Tramadol...
I don't know, I was just hoping I would be able to jump in here and thumb my nose at ya'll and say, hey, look at me, I feel great and will continue to feel great forever and ever, amen...
Apparently that would be mean and cruel of me and I am being taught a lesson...
Catfish

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

C, When in doubt, a call to the doc never hurts.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

KBear

Post by KBear »

Catfish wrote:I don't know, I was just hoping I would be able to jump in here and thumb my nose at ya'll and say, hey, look at me, I feel great and will continue to feel great forever and ever, amen...
Apparently that would be mean and cruel of me and I am being taught a lesson...

You crack me up, but in all honestly this is what we are all hoping for. . . a long term cure. :wink:
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

Catfish

Post by Catfish »

I feel much better today now that the Tramadol has worked its way through my system. I ended up taking some Neurontin and 1mg of Clonazapam to try and chill my sh*t out... I got to where I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin...
So I took some Neurontin today, better than nothing, and called my neuro up. Scheduled my next follow-up and explained I was having issues, but apparently the Neuro is off today, so she was going to refer it to another doc.
She called back and said I could come down to their office and pick up some samples of Lyrica if I wanted but that was all the other doc was willing to do...
Now, the samples are about 50 miles away from my current location and very similar to the Neurontin I am already taking... hmmnnn...
So I am just going to sweat it out for today and wait for a callback from my neuro tomorrow to see what she is willing to do...
To be honest, I feel like a child and/or a criminal...
A child because I am scared to talk to the neuro because she might think I am a criminal trying to "score"... That may be a personal problem, though...
Catfish

Neco

Post by Neco »

Interesting point with the benzos (clonazepam) Did you come off those cold turkey as soon as you got your Tramadol ?

Because that could definitely have been the source of your problems as well.

Catfish

Post by Catfish »

I was going to quit them cold turkey, but only went the first night not taking any, didn't really notice any issues the following day not having taken them and took .5 the next night...
The first day I got them I took 100mg of the Tramadol with lunch...
2nd day I took 100mg at 8:30 or 9am then another 100mg at a bit after 3pm (as I was leaving work for the day)...
wasn't feeling real swell that evening, tight jaw and thighs/calves (thought I was going to have a muscle cramp) so I took the .5 mg of the benzo to take the edge off/help me sleep/see what would happen since I had taken the tramadol all day.
Didn't sleep well that night so yesterday I figured maybe I should mix it up and took 50mg of tramadol at 8, 50mg at noonish, and 50mg around 3:30... wasn't feeling good by noon and thought that I either was not having a good time with the tramadol or I needed more... more is usually better so I took the one at 3:30ish...
Today I feel much better and I am thinking it is because of the short half-life of the tramadol so it is mostly out of my system...
I checked the interwebs and found other people that have had similar issues, although I also found other people that had tons of relief and enjoyment from it.. Found some numbnuts that took too much at once (600mg?!?) and ended up having seizures...
I have had issues with different drugs before so I don't want to take any chances...
Catfish

Neco

Post by Neco »

600mg is actually a pretty low seizure dose in my book, but yeah 400mg is the reccomended max dose. I'd read accounts of people taking up to 1.1grams at once, though they were very tolerant. Think was some guy doing a teacher exchange for his college corses or something, he was in one of the Asian countries where you can get stuff like this OTC. Probably Malaysia or Taiwan or something.

I don't think I ever had a single dose that large myself, but back when I originally tried them out, I probably had something like 750 - 800mg at once. Once I DID have a seizure under a legit dose because of the AD's I was taking, it totally ruined it for me.

I got to the point where it's been almost a full year and I finally managed to get another med to keep me off them, but I would stumble around, have violent spasms, hit the floor without warning, etc.. on sub 400mg doses.

It sucked, because it did work pretty well. I just wish I had never taken that calculated risk with the AD's, because now I can't take them at all if I ever really need them again.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Z, Are you still taking the Lyrica? If so, how's it going? Oh, just to stay a bit on topic. I have been taking ultram for about 10 mos. now. Only between 100 and 150 mg daily. No problems that I can document.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Neco

Post by Neco »

No, Lyrica was way too expensive. I got a script for Neurontin from my doc which was also not financially possible at the doses he wanted to try me at.

I ended up taking a printout from Pubmed on Methadone and he finally caved. I filled that on Oct 3rd, and I'm done to about three quarters of a 5mg pill at the moment.

It didn't quite last me a whole month as some nights I just had rough nights and needed more, but I haven't gone off the proverbial deep end with the stuff, which gives me a little hope. I'm gonna end up unmedicated before my appt on the 31st, but that's life at this point.

I consider myself to be responding very well and having a positive experience since switching. I've noticed my mood is a lot more stable, probably from the lack of extreme ups and downs, the fact it has a super long half life has really helped me deal with it leaving my system. I haven't felt inclined to redose extremely early, etc.

There is definitely a comfy buzz hiding there under the surface, and I've hit it a few times, but I haven't lapsed into any sort of really addictive behavior so far. Usually he lets me slide a few days when I come in for a refill VERY close to how long stuff is supposed to last, so hopefully it won't be an issue. At any rate I'd at least walk out with a script dated for the friday that same week, only 2 more days. I hope, lol.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I have been taking Tramadol/Ultram for almost 2 yrs, my rls is mainly at night, and so I only take the med BEFORE I know the rls will kick in. I dont ever take it during the day unless I feel an rls attack coming on, which is rare for daytime.

Do you have rls 24 hrs aday? Is that why you are taking it so many times during the day? I can usually take 50 mg. or no more than 100 mgs and it works well for my rls. NOW there are times when its extremely strong and I will then take a half of 7.5/600 hydrocodone. But again that is rare.

Just be very careful when you find a med that controls your rls, take only as much as needed to stop the rls, if not you will continue to have to increase the amounts and going back and asking a Dr to increase the number of pills he prescribes for you of pain pills, will make him stop and think about continuing you on these meds. I try to stretch mine out as much as I can, I will just get up and get busy during the day, just to keep from taking any med. I live in fear that my Dr will say NO MORE pain meds and they work so well for me!

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Z, Glad you are still finding some relief. Stay on the straight and narrow, buddy. You know you can do it. Best wishes.

M.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Catfish, you could ask for Tramadol extended release, for me it worked much better.

Corrie