Tramadol Side Affects?!?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Neco

Post by Neco »

That's branded Ultram ER. I'm not sure there is a generic, but if your insurance will pay it's also a pretty good choice. You get 100mg over something like 12 hours I think.

Catfish

Post by Catfish »

***Update***
I have been doing research and have been finding other people out there in the world that have had the exact same experience with Tramadol as I had the other night, so it is not unheard of. I wish it wasn't me, of course... but it isn't the first drug I have had odd reactions to... Soma, for example, makes me break out it round hive looking spots, exactly 5 of them, here and there on my body. Happens every time I take it, it is the strangest thing...
Anyhow, the Neuro finally called me back today and agreed that it was strange, but also agreed that it was not unheard of... Said we could go the route of trying Lyrica or this other anti-spasmodic that I had never heard of... I politely declined based on the theory that if Lyrica is like super gabapentin then the side affects (being stoopid) would also be, perhaps, multiplied...
She then gave me the full disclosure statement on opioids but said she would be willing to give me a rx for some.
You know, all I really want is something similar to the Canadian AC&C's, probably minus the caffeine... but can we get that down here? Apparently not...
I tried to get something like aspirin and Codeine, but she couldn't find anything in whatever she was looking at and so she offered up straight codeine, but then we discovered that it would take close to a week for the local pharmacy to get any in and there would have to be some jokeying around, etc... so she wrote me a rx for some Vicodan...
AND we discussed the Neurontin and decided that I would try taking much less of it with the vics, so I am going to cut back to a third of what I was taking each day and take it with the vicodin.
I was very close to actually taking some more of the Tramadol just to make sure I wasn't crazy, but you know, I can still feel the empty space where the pain in my head was the other night, so I decided not to risk it...
So there you go...
Catfish
If you see the Buddha on the road, kill him...

Catfish

Post by Catfish »

Oh, I was going to mention, also...
She wants me to see this other dude at the clinic where I see her to talk about maybe going on the Methadone... I forgot his name (I do that with names) but I will be seeing my neuro on the 3rd of December anyhow, so will try to make some efforts then...
Also, I had a long talk with my wife about all this, she is a recovering alcoholic (whoa, 3 years clean and sober right around now, thanks for reminding myself) and as such she has some concerns me getting addicted... She has had to sit in many meetings with people who were hooked and taking outrageous amounts of vicodin at a time...
We never really talked about all this, me and her. She has a problem understanding and I have a problem explaining what exactly this thing really is, and how there is no bloodwork that can be done, no outward sign (open sores, etc.) to show it, and it is so damn hard to describe what I am feeling, it just didn't make a lot of sense to her... but we finally talked it out today and I think she finally understands... so it turned out to be a good day...
Catfish

Neco

Post by Neco »

Let me try and provide you with a little insight.. This is gonna be long, because.. Well this is a serious and touchy subject that you have a question about; and I think I am in a good position to give other people info about what it IS like to be a narcotic addict.

I have done many drugs over the years, recreationally, legitimately, whatever the case. For me the "cream of the crop" turned out to be Vicodin (hydrocodone). It most certainly was NOT intentional.

It's a very strange drug in my eyes, as some people either love it or hate it.. If it doesn't make you puke, and you LIKE downers ("CNS depressants") like alcohol, etc. Then yes, there is a high chance you could be tempted down a nasty path.

Funny thing about me is I was never a big drinker or anything.. Never really liked weed, and only binged on ocassion, if you could even call it that.

This stuff FLOORED me when I first took it. It was like, hmm.. A blanket of goodness I guess? Part of this is because I did not grow up in a "normal" relationship with the world, and I'd been depressed for years, in addition to having anxiety & other emotional problems I needed to sort through, which included a nasty conclusion to a relationship I didn't want to end.

Contrary to the term, downers can make you feel great. Not sure why but I would speculate it has something to do with ones current emotional state and the way they have developed emotionally as a person. I for example, have been used to acting out, getting negative attention, etc, from a very early age.

The very first time I took Vicodin, it plain knocked me out. I was having severe dental pain and OTC was -not- cutting it, so my mom gave me one of her pills, since she had work done recently also. I split it in half I think, anyway it knocked me out.

How I came to be Rxed the stuff I can't remember quite clearly... I mean it seems clear to ME, but I have a funny way of remembering things different than they happen from time to time.. In any case I was given a few by my doc for some insomnia problems I was having, and I didn't have a problem at that point. I think it took me like a month or so to go through less than 30. Which looking back is "excellent" for me, all things considered.

At any rate I slowly began complaining about this thing going on with my leg and sometimes my arm, where it would just "start going on its own, and feeling funny if I didn't let it go", but maintaining I still had physical control of whether or not the movements started. SO in short, I didn't think I was spazzing out but I thought something weird was going on. So he told me to read up on PLMD and I think RLS at some point also, and I felt like that's what was happening.

So goes my trip down the dark side. I was pretty content for a while, getting off to sleep easily, and not waking up groggy, but feeling pretty average and nice. I truly believe I had tolerance at this point and for whatever reason the gravy train of addictive potential "skipped" me. However, something I have had trouble with is pulling muscles and one day I was having back trouble, so I started out taking as little as possible and hanging out in front of the TV.. Then I noticed something. "Hey, the more of this stuff I pile on (not getting relief at first) the better I feel". I ended up taking around 4 or 5 over a 8 hour period or something; but I definitely knew what the stuff could do.

I had had isolated incidents prior to this, but once I pushed past them, single low dose highs were not even a thought. My most memorable moment by far was having not slept the previous night, and being out. My mom still had some around so I politely asked for what she had left until I could get more. I popped 2 (10mg total) of those and lingered on my PC until I got tired... But what actually happened was I ended up in that zone where the dose put me more on "the nod" rathater than knocking me out, thus I was high and for the first time I actually recognized it - and thought it was awesome... It was like a warm blanket, not energizing like uppers (caffeine, x, etc) but more serene. At that point I had the trademark plastered smile going and loaded up one of my emulators and irony of ironies, I started playing Dr. Mario. (for those who don't know this is like Tetris, only with "pills" and viruses); I quickly pointed this out to my friend who replied with a timid " =\ " hmm type smiley. But I digress.

That was probably the point where I became "addicted". I have had veritable bad points since then over the years, once I went through 90, 10mg pills in something like a week. I did nothing but play some game I hadn't touch on years in watch TV.

It just creates this alternate state of mind where "everything is OK", and you don't care, it can take a lot to piss you off, etc. But at the same time it's a very "chemical" high. You know why you're high and how you got there, and that it isn't natural - but you DON'T care.

I was on and off Vicodin, Oxycodone, Codein, Requip, lorazepam, and other various meds for 3 years trying to sort it out. Now that I'm on Methadone I am trying to remain positive as I have had pretty good success, due largely I think, to the fact it has such a long half-life that it leaves my system slow enough for me not to be tempted by redosing, huge doses, etc... I don't really feel it wearing off I guess you can say, so there is no immediate mindset of getting "back" to where I was previously.

I'm not trying to scare you, or promote Vicodin to you, I'm just trying to let you know what CAN happen. I don't know a lot about addiction in terms of being a "disease" or a predisposition I was born with. However, I would urge you to consider methadone if it is being offered to you over other opiates. I think it is a LOT safer because of the way it enters and leaves your system.

There is no reason NOT to consider opiates as long as you are not suffering horrible side effects from them. I'm not saying my experience will be yours, or anything like that. I know I am a minority in this community when it comes to the amounts I've taken and how I've used the drug. You guys are a lot older than I am and also come from a different generation, with your own ideas on morality and self control.

Catfish

Post by Catfish »

Hey Zach:
I appreciate your insight, and although I don't remember having a question, you still gave me some answers that I didn't know I was looking for...
I think that you and I may have many similarities, I having experimented (sometimes to great extent) with different drugs for recreational purposes.
I was going to go on and on about that, but the point being, in the end, that I have enjoyed opiates to great extent when I had access to them, but at the same time have been able to follow the directions when I was given them for a specific purpose.
But at this point I have more bottles in my medicine cabinet than I have ever had in my life and I am concerned that it will creep up on me and eventually I will find myself trying to fill a prescription a few weeks early (what is the timeline on that anyhow? I have a refill listed on the bottle, but I don't know if I could go in tomorrow and get it filled or if I need to wait 30 days or what? Anyone? What's the general rule?).
I am going to contact my neuro on Monday and get the name of the dr. she suggested and see if he can see me on the same day as I am seeing her.
Now the help I am going to need, in laymans terms, is how to explain to general people that methadone is ok, you know what I mean? How do I tell my mom or more specifically, my wife, that this is a good thing and not something to get worked up about?
Hey Zach, thanks...
Catfish

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I would go to Dr. Buchfuhrer's website and look at the information he gives on methadone - there is a lot of information there, and it helps to have a search toolbar on your page - and print out what you need. Or just write him a letter asking him how you convince your wife that methadone is a good treatment for RLS. He usually will email you back the same day.

Oh, his website is: http://www.rlshelp.org
Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

Hrm.. well I thought you asked a question? lol.. I guess I just picked what was on your mind out of what you said.

I'm not sure if I can help you much as far as explaining methadone to people. I still have issues with that myself. But you could start, I suppose, by saying it is prescribed for many different reasons, like most drugs. Chronic pain patients also take them, etc.

You could get pseudo technical on her too I guess, and just say that because of how long it lasts in your system, it is much less addictive than other short acting meds. Which is pretty truthful in my eyes, from my experience.

As for your refills, well that depends. Usually there are no date restrictions on meds unless the doc specifically writes "can't refill before blah blah" like I have done with my Doc in the past.

Take your total amount of meds in mind, then look at your instructions, and also factor in some leeway with the dosage.. Say you took some extra here and there, for x many days. The rule of thumb I tried to use was to be no more than 3 days "early".. So if you were prescribed 1 - 2 every 4 - 6 hours, and have X amount, do the math like that. If my methadone had a refill for instance, I would have tried to fill it probably Sunday or Monday this coming week.

I had #90 scripted for 3x daily at my discretion (I could play with the dose but had to restrict it to 3 a day).
Of course I have about .5mg left right now.. Model knifes sure are great for splitting pills... Safest bet in that case would be monday or tuesday, but I guess it depends on how bad you need it.

It really depends on how your script is written out. If you show up super early you WILL get discerning looks, and possibly questions. Ultimately it's up to the pharmacists personal feelings, they do have the right to refuse to fill you again if they suspect you are abusing, trafficking, etc.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I have been taking pain meds for my rls for 8 yrs now. Started out with Hydrocodone and now rotate hydro and Ultram(tramadol). With my Drs I had to sign a form saying I would NOT go to other Drs seeking pain meds, plus I am given only 3 month refills(30 pills a month) and then I must go back into the Drs office for another script for 3 months. Also if you were to try to refill before what your script allows, they will not do so. I have tried to have mine refilled just ONE day early and have been told must wait till the next day. I guess its different in different areas.

I feel NOTHING when taking hydro, and take 7.5/650 the only thing it does for me is to stop the RLS! Which is heaven for me, and that is exactly the reason I will not abuse it. I walked the floor for toooooo many years living on 2-4 hrs of sleep for years, having RLS wreck my life in so many ways, that when I found something that controls those creepy crawly feelings I totally Respect that drug, and live in fear that it will stop working for me, that at times I will just do with LESS to make sure I do not over do. I just want this to last for as long as possible, because I do not want to go the the Drug trail and error thing of trying to find another med that will control my RLS and I sure do not want to go back to walking the floor and suffering as I once did. That is what will always keep me from over taking pain meds!

If you have walked the floor nightly for over 25 yrs, it sure will teach you about controling your med intake! Just stop and think of how you suffer and how hard its been in finding a med that helps you sleep, that should help keep you within limits.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

MJ, I thing your comment about "respecting" he drug is super excellent. It may have been passed along by yourself or others before but it is the first time that I recall the comment. Anyway, it should be included with the other bits of wisdom that we all pass along from time to time. For you, I hope your regimen will last a lifetime or until a cure is found. Best wishes, friend.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Dr W Ondo has done research on methadon and RLS. You could print it out (via PubMed) and take it tou your doc.

Corrie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I agree that respect is the basis for all of this. Others don't always respect either the drug or the condition. They don't realize how much that hurts us.

Sometimes we have to say to those we love: I love you and what I need from you is acceptance and respect. I can't make you feel how I do and can't help you "understand" it. I do expect, however, that you would accept what I say is true regarding how I feel and how it affects me and accept the wisdom of research doctors in the field. Can you do that?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Good point, Ann.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Catfish

Post by Catfish »

I have been thinking about this, and it gets so deep and confusing. I have thought of a million things to say, some of them were so deep and meaningful they would have blown your minds and changed the world forever. This is not it, though.
I tried a little experiment yesterday morning and took a 50mg Tramadol to see what happened. Guess what??? I got a bangin' headache. I was just this side of a migraine.
It is like I am that 1% that they talk about on all the drug labels... 1% of the population may experience the following extremely unpleasant side affects.
So now I have a jar of Tramadol and my mom was telling me to flush them but it seems like such a shame... someone should get some use out of them... damn.
I will contact the good Dr. that my Neuro mentioned and if I end up on methadone I will just call it something different... something that sounds flowery and upbeat... like Rose Hips... I'm not sure what they do, but I will just tell people I am on Rose Hips for my RLS and they will be happy.
Catfish

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Nah, tell them you're on "meth." :shock:
Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

HAHA

Nah man, tell them you take Licorice juice plant red green seed extract, it's all homeopathic from Japan!

Sucks about the tramadol. Believe you me, I know how you feel.. I'd rather take the spasms than a headache like that any day.