PHARMACY NEGLIGEINCE

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
lyndarae

PHARMACY NEGLIGEINCE

Post by lyndarae »

Hello All, I have been on 1mg mirapex for at least 2years if not longer, I go to the same home town family owned pharmacy to get it every month. Two days ago I picked it up for the month. The first night I went to take my meds I opened the bottle clearly marked MIrapex 1 mg and the meds were green five sided and have a little point inthe middle so they dont lay flat. I think to myself hmmmmmmm they must of come out with the genrick finally and take it. I get sick in the night, didnt think too much about it, the next day(yesterday I am shaky, headache, have a tougher that ususal day with more pain and hard time speaking slowly, brain was going faster than I could talk. Took my mirapex again last night allmost chocked on my vomit and had the bugs throughout my body and a terrible night at 5am this morning I call an all night phamacy and tell them my bottle says 1 mg mirapex but the pills are not right, he tells me they are requip!!!!!!!!!!! I can feel the steam comming out my ears. yes I have trusted this parmacy for years and for them to make this error and put me through this is wrong, I have gone the requip route and could not take it years ago. What woulld do?? What can I do?~~~~~~Lyndarae

becat

Post by becat »

Josh is our go to man for Pharmacy stuff, because he is a pharmacy guy!

Josh, Calling Josh!

OMGosh Lyndarae, Ok, the pharmacy sxrewed up. Period!
They have to make it right and they were lucky it's not an (overly) controled med..

They should change out the FULL bottle with the right precription on Monday, with no hassle and nothing but gushing aoplogies!

So first thing in the a.m. on Monday march down there with bottle in hand and ask for the head pharmacy person, show him the bottle and ask if the pills match the prescription.!!!!!! :shock: :?

Honey, every time I get ANY, let me say that again, ANY prescription filled.
I opened it and look to see if the pills are correct, then I count them to make sure the count is right. It's a must. It's good practice for all of us to do this.

Human make honest mistakes. Some human make mistakes and it's not so honest.
For now go with the honest mistake in your heart, but get your FULL meds, the right ones on Monday. Thank them for fixing that and gently tell them, how sick you were this weekend because of the mistake.
I would add " I will be checking the meds when I get them and counting them as well. I have to be careful with this medication."

I'm so sorry this was your weekend and you spent it sick. UGH. Let the doc's office know as well. They need to be aware of the mess up and note it in your chart if this were to happen again.

Hugs my girlfriend!
Lynne

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

hey there Becat, Just called the parmacy(they are closed sundays) they are delivering the right meds to my door in 15 minutes !!! Very nice of them,BUT, this type of thing makes me want to sream. I feel like crap today and have company comming and work to do and blahhhhhhhhhhh how can they get away with this, I am the one who suffered all night, well thanks for listening................and thanks for the advice I guess that was pretty numb of me not to question the pills I was taking, time to cry~~~Lyndarae

ctravel12

Pharmacy Negligeince

Post by ctravel12 »

Oh Lyndarae when I read your post I knew it was Requip as I also took that pill and it was a nightmare. I am so sorry that the pharmacy made such a bad mistake.

Like Lynne said take it right back to them Monday (by chance are they open on Sundays as some of them are) and let them know exactly what happened.
Also Lynne gave good advise on checking the prescriptions and counting them (which sometimes I do not count them but do check and make sure it is the right prescriptions).

Please keep us updated on what is happening.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

hey charlene, yeah big mistake on my part and lesson well learned, they are comming now with the right meds but i have some questions for them, thats for sure, trying to keep calm but after what I went through last night I am not too happy with them, I want to know who filled it and if they are color blind..........I do take my responsiblity in it but HELLO>>> I chocked on my on vomit for hell sakes to say I am a bit pi******* is to put it mildly, I have been going to the same place getting the same meds for over two years GRRRRRRRRRR

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

The owner of the pharmacy just left bringing me a refill of 1mg mirapex amd will have a refund of 69.50 for me tomarrow at the store, I am sick to my stomache and think I will rest a while, he even gave me a hug.......but had no idea what rls is HAHAHAHAHAHA GOD GIVE ME STRENGHT love ya all

ctravel12

pharmacy negligeince

Post by ctravel12 »

Lyndarae I am so glad that you got the right prescriptions. My heart goes out to you as I know exactly how you feel. I hope that you are feeling much better later on. Please just rest today and you sometimes wonder how some of these people get a job.

Yes I agree that it is our responsibility but a pharmacy should know what prescrption they are filling. I understand people do make mistakes but guess who pays for it. Lynne gave you some excellent advise. She is a sweetheart.

You take care my friend.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Neco

Post by Neco »

That totally sucks.. They are lucky they didn't kill you or something.

However, it does sound like they went out of their way to make things right, which is a GOOD thing. I know its hard to think about when you have just gone through this, but everyone makes mistakes. The important thing is they went out of their way to let you know they care

becat

Post by becat »

Delivery on Sunday, Awesome!

Total refund, is a cover their butt move, but love it.

Hugging you and you holding your wits enough not to knee him......Priceless! :D

My dear I learn after having a prescription filled for my youngest, about 8 yrs ols then, that anything can and will happen.

If I had not looked and had given him the meds, I think I'd be less one son.
It was some huge medication with awful side effects on kids.

And it's happened 2 times since the first, but thankfully to only me.

So I look and I count.

I'm so glad you have the right stuff, and just remember, they are human and we all make mistakes.......so that is why this human looks and counts!

I love the bunch of you.
Lynne

chefws

Post by chefws »

Sorry for the awful time you went through, that really is terrible. But I am glad you noticed it when you did, and that the pharmacist acted responsibly.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I have also have had wrong presceiptions, triple dose!!

Pharmacist was really nice.. yeah... also afraid of a law suit.

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

OHHHHHHHHHHH YOU are so right Becat I wanted to let this guy have it, he is one of the sons who own the pharmacy, I went to school with the daughter of the owner, small town they are the very first pharmacy in Pocatello and very family type business, they know everyones name and I have to say they have always gone to battle for me when doc doesnt call in meds ect......last month they gave me three mirapex cause the clinic hadent called in and I was out. So al least you dont just feel like a number, and I think that is one of the reasons I let my guard down and put too much trust in them. When I go to collect my refund today I am going to ask who filled it and let them know face to face how their mistake cost me three days of sickness and how lucky they are it wasent worse. LAW SUIT............WOW got to say the thought was going through my mind, make them pay, I did do some research and the information scared the crap out of me, you cant imagine how often this happens and alot to the elderly, nobody is safe any more. YOU PEOPLE are so wonderful for your support, I really can't thank you all enough for your threads and concren about me you are the only family I have and you mean the world to me I am lucky I have all of you to put my trust in and that I do. I did have to take a mirapex yesterday afternoon I was trying to watch football and my rls was kicking my butt, I felt like the football LOL. Got kicked all around. But everything happens for a reason huh, with the extra 70.00 dollars in my pocket I can now have the oil changed in my car and buy some food sooooooooo there you have it. Life is strange, and I am rambling on and on, still feel a bit strange today that requip is nasty stuff for me anyway I love you all and will be in chat tonight thanks again you all are awesome GOD BLESS ~~~~~~Lyndarae

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

Just jumping in here to validate what everyone has said so far AND make it clear that even with computers, barcodes, and double-checks-- mistakes DO happen. MDs, RNs and pharmacists ALL make a mistake at some point. Unfortunately- any mistakes made regarding health are bound to be more traumatizing and scary.

It sounds like the pharmacy went out of their way to make it "right" again. Lyndarae-- you'll have to decide if this pharmacy is one you want to use again. But, I can guarantee at some point it will happen again with a different pharmacy. Something I have recommended with all my patients is to attach one of each of your tablets with some scotch tape to a piece of paper. When you get your meds filled-- match em' up to the ones on your paper. IF the tablets look different due to a different manufactuerer, your pharmacist should of put a sticker on the bottle that states something like "this tablet may look different, yada, yada". If it doesn't, call up your pharmacy and double check what you have.

Another trick-- ANY poison center can give you the name of a tablet AND the dose if you give them the imprint code on your tablet/capsule.
Josh

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I always check my meds when I get them renewed. Several times I have called the Pharmacy to question why the pills are different looking. So far it was due to them using a different vendor. Never just take a med if it looks different than the ones you have been taking! It only takes a minute to call and question.

Everyone makes mistakes in all areas of life, but each one of us can make sure that we are taken care of properly. Never take a chance with your meds, always call and ask WHY it looks different.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Great idea, Josh, about taking the pills to a piece of paper. Also knowing that poison control can identify pills is great to know. My pharmacy is always changing their generic brands, and they usually put a sticker on saying that it looks different, yada, yada, but sometimes I have to go back and ask them.
Susan