antidepressents

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Since we're on the topic of anti-d's ...

Most of you will know about the disaster with my hands. After the first month of being stuck in plaster and the excrutiating pain, I was getting extremely anxious about not getting anywhere and not knowing the full extent of the damage (ended up that I'd ripped a ligament right off my thumb which required surgery). Being without an income as well doesnt help with the situation either.

I had a full blown anxiety attack back in early 2004 which landed me in hospital. When I started having the same anxious feelings and thoughts, a couple of months ago, I knew that if I didnt see someone about feeling so down in the dumps, hospital was where I was going to land again. So I went to see my GateKeeper. He's well aware of the RLS do's and dont's when it comes to meds.

So, for the last 8 weeks i've been on a very low dose (10mg in the morn only) of an SSRI anti-d: Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate). I know we all have to be well versed with regards to the necessity of starting on a new med; especially when the new med that has been prescribed has a history of causing problems for another medical condition. Unfortuately I just had to give it a trial or end up in hospital.

Again, although i'm not that proud of it, I can say that i've bucked the trend and i'm having no problems with my RLS. I've also stopped worrying myself sick about things occurring which are out of my control and are a major stumbling block in my life at the moment.

Fingers crossed that I continue to have some good fortune ... for once!

BTW, I finally got my left hand and arm back last week. Now its the fun bit ... getting my wrist and thumb back into action and moving normally with very rigorous physio ... patience is a virtue!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi, Just to update everyone.
Bear with me on this long post.

I have rls 24/7. Following my visit 2 weeks ago to my (not regular) doc who prescribed me amnitriptyline for sleep (bad, bad, and which I did not take), he prescribed it despite my objections.

Today I visited my regular doc. I went in armed with the algorithm, Dr B's book and also an email from Dr B saying that he would not prescribe amnitriptyline. I had highlighted relevant sections everywhere regarding the negative aspects of amni..... and also highlighted where Dr B said it was ok to take sleeping meds.

Doc was great. He talked about upping my Requip - I said no.

We discussed sleeping meds and decided that temazepam (10mg one or two as required) was the best option as it is longer acting and I needed a med to 'keep me asleep'. He warned me regarding hangover effect and his concerns that they can be addictive, but agreed that we have to weigh things and consider quality of life, (and sleep versus no sleep). Doc said he would be more concerned if I wanted them cos of a social problem i.e. not coping with life etc.

Doc said I could have difficulty coming off them (temazepam): I asked would I have to come off them?? Doc said no problems regarding liver or kidneys but, if say in 2 years they discovered a cure for rls, then I may want off them. (we both laughed).

He also gave me Baclofen 10mg to take as required, and up to 3 times per day, as a muscle relaxant, and to take them as well as the requip and see if it helps regarding breakthrough (cos I don't want to up the dosage of requip). He did understand my concerns regarding too much requip and possible augmentation and rebound - tho I have it 24/7 anyway.

I felt he appreciated what I had to say. He looked at my documentation, I said I did not wish to be disrespectful and He said I was probably better educated than he was with regard to rls, that I was a very complex case cos he admittied that he thought rls only happened when trying to sleep. Doc is referring me to a neurologist under the National Health Service i.e. free. (This is the guy I paid for and saw privately 6 months ago and he recommended Levadopa!!!) I said if requip is doing ok, and temazepam helps me sleep, then surely I don't need to see anyone else, but doc says no, he'd like neurologist on board.
(Of course my mind is on overtime, what is he ruling out????)

Does anyone know much about Baclofen, or have any advice.

Well - It's you and me folks, and my dear doc who is willing to learn.
Thanks for listening

Anyone, any comments or advice.

Ta, Betty

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi

All I know is baclofen is used to treat MS to relax muscles , i was prescribed it and was too scared to take it, but will consider it if things get too bad.

It does not mean he is thinking down that line ,as baclofen is used to relax muscles in other diseases and also taking it doesnt start any other disease.

Hope ive not been too much to the bone ,if so accept my appologies

moonlight
sleep is not only a dream

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

That's OK Moonlight, I knew about it being used for MS. I just wondered if anyone has used Baclofen, and what they thought of it.
Thanks for your response.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Betty~

I know nothing about the medication you are asking about. I just wanted to say that I'm extremely impressed and you AND your doctor. You really must have gone in there with exactly the right attitude and you obviously impressed him with your knowledge. Any time I've taken in information to my PCP (not my neurologist), she's been insulted. However, I have a good neuro now.

Good luck with everything. I know what it's like not to sleep--most of us do, I suppose. I'm currently awaiting results of a sleep study I had last week--the third one. This one was a more extensive sleep study, checking for narcolepsy.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you I'm very impressed, good luck (!) and I'm anxious to hear how you are doing.

All the best
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Betty I have never taken baclofen but wanted to congratulate you on info that you took when you went to see your dr. It is so important to educate yourself first and then the dr and that is what you certainly did.

My hat goes off to you girl. You go and let us know how it went with the neurologist.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi Betty. Congratulations on getting your doctor to listen to you!

I've tried baclofen. (Good grief what haven't I tried?!) It didn't work very well for me, but some people seem to really like it. It made me really sleepy so I couldn't keep my eyes open, but my mind was racing. I don't even remember if it helped with the muscle jerking or not...

It might just be the thing that works for you, though.
Susan

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Hi BB and another congrats. I tried baclofen several years ago and had a bad experience. But, like many others here, I seem to have that with lots of meds so yours may be quite positive. Best wishes.

M>
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks everyone, I'm actually not too concerned at the moment about the Baclofen, just interested in opinions, in that I will now have it, and may or may not use it, suppose it depends how desperate I get, I just wasn't sure whether there was one way to take it which would be better than another, i.e. as needed, or on a regular daily basis, only in the daytime, or also going to bed; etc. etc. geez.. requip, baclofen and temazepam going to bed, on second thoughts perhaps not, might not wake up????? :roll:

But at the moment, I have requip which is doing more or less OK, temazepam which I was given today to help with sleep, and codeine 15mg for emergency use such as the movies etc when the requip might not be just enough.

Yes, I think I presented ok with him today, tho give him his due, he was very receptive - which is probably why at one point I started to dissolve into tears, just momentarily, and then gathered myself. I was just so glad that he was cooperative, having been up most of the night going over and over in my head what I was going to say to him. You know how it is, wanting to use the opportunity to its full.

At the moment I think doc has done all he can.

Thanks again folks, I kinda felt like I was flying the flag for all of us.
I actually said on leaving his office that to us rls sufferers, having a doc that would cooperate, such as he was doing, was very important to us and that I appreciated his support.

mackjergens

Info on Baclofen from www.rlshelp.org

Post by mackjergens »

This info was copied/pasted from www.rlshelp.org

2) Multiple Sclerosis Medication

Lioresal (Baclofen)
This drug is used as a muscle relaxant and anti-spasm medication. It is used in MS to alleviate muscle spasms and the resultant pain. Lioresal was found in one study to decrease the arousals from PLMD (the intensity of the movements was decreased). Its effect on daytime RLS symptoms is less well understood.

Lioresal comes in 10 and 20 mg tablets. It should be started at the lowest dose (5 mg, 1-3 times per day) and increased every 3 days until symptoms are relieved. The average dose for MS patients for muscle spasticity is 40-80 mg per day. The most common side effect is drowsiness; weakness and fatigue can also be a common problem.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks Mackjergens, Hmmmm...
Yes I had googled baclofen. Not sure what to do. Might see how I get on with the sleeping pill and my usual requip, and keep the baclofen in reserve. Perhaps have a week or so on that regime and see how I get on. Not sure... don't want to take too much that might have a continuing sedative effect the next day, as I drive to work in city traffic.
Thanks again

KBear

Post by KBear »

betty rankin wrote: he'd like neurologist on board.
(Of course my mind is on overtime, what is he ruling out????)

I'm guessing that your doc recognizes that he doesn't know much about RLS, and that's why he's bringing the Neuro on board. It seems like many of us with RLS end up with a referral to a neurologist. I wouldn't worry about it one bit. It's always good to have experts in your corner. :wink:
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hmm.. thing is I paid to see this buy privately 8 months ago. He is a really nice guy... BUT... had suggested Levadopa as an alternative to requip. ????

KBear

Post by KBear »

It was the Neurologist that prescribed Levadopa for daily RLS? Yikes! I thought it was the PCP that did that.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Just out of interest, here in the UK we call our primary doc a GP i.e. General Practitioner. I see you guys referring to PCP, is this the same thing... like Primary Care Practitioner.... or some such ???