Mirapex Question

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
seinfeld

Mirapex Question

Post by seinfeld »

Hello - I take Mirapex for RLS as needed; I have probably taken it 20 or so times in the last year. On two of those occasions - the most recent being yesterday, Christmas Eve, I became very nauseated for a couple of hours, then broke into a cold sweat, and lost consciousness for 5 - 10 minutes. During the time I was out, I have mild/moderated convulsions. Once I come to, the nausea is greatly relieved.

Has anyone else had this experience? I really feel these two episodes I've had over the last 10 months are a result of the Mirapex, but I can't figure out why I have taken it so many other times with no problem.

If anyone has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it!

sthomp66

Post by sthomp66 »

I took Mirapex a couple times during a30-day period. It just gave me crazy nightmares. I take Ultram for my RLS. Normally, Ultram works just fine, but if I take it on an empty stomach or once in a while for no reason at all it makes me incredibly nauseated. The dr. said that I'm having a slight allergic reaction to it. If I take a couple of benadryl as soon as I'm nauseated, it's usually gone in an hour or so. However, if I don't get the benadryl fast enough, I throw up. One day I threw up all day and it made my uvula swell up, that resulted in an emergency room visit, but that's only happened once. The passing out for minutes at a time is very scary though, ask your dr. if you could be having an allergic reaction.

Anonymous

check with your doctor

Post by Anonymous »

Definately check with your docator. The dosage may have something to do with it.

seinfeld

mirapex question

Post by seinfeld »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I take the lowest dose possible of Mirapex (although I guess I could cut the pill in half and try that.) My doctor seems to discount the association with Mirapex, as did the ER doctor the first time the black out happened. The diagnosis is that the nausea and black out are caused by a sudden drop in blood pressure, and my doctor wants me to see a cardiologist again (he sent me last year for a stress test - all was fine).

The allergic reaction concept is interesting...that's what it feels like to me....but why does it only happen once in a while? I had eaten a solid breakfast not long before I took the Mirapex this last time, so it definitely wasn't an empty stomach. The Mirapex has been such a huge help all the other times I've taken it that I'd love to be able to continue it...but as I mentioned, this recent episode makes me too nervous about doing so.

ViewsAskew

Sudden drop

Post by ViewsAskew »

Don't quote me, :) , but I seem to remember hearing/reading something about sudden low blood pressure and Mirapex. Might have been my old neuro saying something to me. Have you done a search on Google to see if you find anything?

Good luck finding out what causes it - it sounds awful and surely must be dangerous to be blacking out.

Oh, have you looked at the Mayo Clinic Algorithm? It might recommend a different type of med to take on an occasional basis. http://www.mayo.edu/proceedings/2004/jul/7907crc.pdf

Ann

sthomp66

Post by sthomp66 »

Seinfeld: On the allergic reaction out of nowhere, I don't know why that happens, but 10 years of taking Ultram, it still happens once in a while. I've chosen to stay on Ultram because other than those few occasions now and then, it's been wonderful for my legs and arms. I however didn't black out and that's pretty scary! My Dr. gave me an epi pen in case my uvula every swells again but I've never had to use it (even though my whole office was drawing straws for a chance to stab me in the thigh). I just keep benadryl handy and that makes the nausea go away. I wonder if you could be having low blood pressure combined with an allergic reaction, which would give you the nausea and the blacking out. Did you black out or pass out? My dr. told me to watch my uvula, I guess it only swells when there is an allergic reaction. Who knows, this is all the strangest stuff and so many different things work for different people.

Shelley

seinfeld

mirapex

Post by seinfeld »

sthomp66 and viewaskew: thanks for your notes. I think you are definitely right about it being some type of allergic reaction that is causing a sudden drop in blood pressure. I did some more research on google, and found a number of references to that, even on the Mirapex website. The most frustrating part is why only once in a while! Hopefully a neurologist can help determine that. Also, my readings on Mirapex now make me wonder whether I ever want to try to take it again - it can have some pretty awful side effects, including hallucinations. It's enough to make me want to continue standing on airplanes and in theaters...although the relief I had from the Mirapex when it did work properly was wonderful, as I'm sure you can imagine.

sthomp66

Post by sthomp66 »

Seinfeld: Have you ever tried Ultram (Tramadol)? It's a wonder drug for me. If you're allergic to codeine, you can't take it since it goes to the same receptor in the brain, it will make you sicker than a dog. However, if you're not allergic to codeine, it would be worth a try. My dr. said it's best I stay on it as long as I can because it has many less side effects than the "Parkinsons" drugs. The only side effect I have is dry mouth and the allergic reaction once in a while but the nightly relief is so worth it to me. Mirapex gave me the craziest nightmares and really didn't do anything for my legs or arms. Anyway, good luck, it's really a crap shoot til you find what works well for you! I can so relate to standing in movies and on planes. I really feel sorry for the person who sits next to me on the plane when I put the pills in my suitcase instead of my purse!

Shelley

jan3213

Re Mirapex

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Seinfield, it's Jan

I've been taking Mirapex for at least five years and have never had nightmares or anything like you describe. But, we all know that everyone reacts to medication differently. I have heard other people talk about having nightmares, like Ann, though. Like Shelly says, it's a crap shoot finding the right meds or combination of meds. Mirapex helps me with RLS symptoms.

However, I do think it is so smart to read as much as you can about medication so you are educated and don't take meds "blindly" like I have done until I became a member of this site. I believe that some doctors are swayed by pharmaceutical companies when it comes to giving their patients meds. How many times have you been to a doctor and he/she hands you drug samples to try?

I am becoming more and more suspect of any medication a doctor prescribes until I read about it myself. Not that I think doctors want to harm us, but I don't think a lot of doctors pay much attention to the side effects of drugs. Just my opinion AND my own experience!! Good luck to you.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Mprtrm

Neurocardiogenic syncope

Post by Mprtrm »

Seinfeld,I've tried Mirapex briefly about two yrs ago.I don't remember my response.I think I felt dizzy/nauseaus.I do get periods of being nauseaus and feeling extremely faint/sweaty and nearly passing out.Doesn't happen often.Maybe 2 or 3 times a year,maybe more often the last yr or two.It's VERY SCARY.I felt like I was on deaths doorstep.I felt 'impending doom'.I know one of the first times I felt it,an ambulance came and my blood pressure had dropped.I saw a cardiologist who said it was neurocardiogenic syncope.I take a betablocker.I'm not as afraid now when it happens,I know it's my blood pressure.I put my head down and lay on a cold floor if I can.Eventually the nausea goes away.My cardiologist said this happens to alot of people.And the scary part is it can happen anywhere.Once I was in the Emergency Room and my blood pressure was low and I felt that one of those attacks would come on.I warned the triage nurse my blood pressure could drop dramatically.Even though she didn't have a bed for me,she heeded my warning and gave me a wheelchair they scrounged up somewhere.I still had an attack in the waiting room bathroom.You should find out about the convulsions..

Post by Guest »

sthomp66 wrote:I took Mirapex a couple times during a30-day period. It just gave me crazy nightmares. I take Ultram for my RLS. Normally, Ultram works just fine, but if I take it on an empty stomach or once in a while for no reason at all it makes me incredibly nauseated. The dr. said that I'm having a slight allergic reaction to it. If I take a couple of benadryl as soon as I'm nauseated, it's usually gone in an hour or so. However, if I don't get the benadryl fast enough, I throw up. One day I threw up all day and it made my uvula swell up, that resulted in an emergency room visit, but that's only happened once. The passing out for minutes at a time is very scary though, ask your dr. if you could be having an allergic reaction.

This is a severe side affect of mirapex. You need to contact your doctor.

Notify your doctor immediately if you experience hallucinations, fainting, dizziness, drowsiness, falling asleep unexpectedly, or a blackout (especially when rising from a sitting or lying position). Your doctor may want to lower your dosage or discontinue this medication.

Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take pramipexole and talk to your doctor if you experience

mild nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, or decreased appetite;
constipation;
dry mouth;
sweating;
headache;
confusion;
insomnia; or
agitation or anxiety.

Post by Guest »

As my thread you attached said - my doctor took me off of Mirapex, so I did tell her what was happening. I have taken Ultram for the past 10 yrs and it works wonderfully still - so I will continue to take until I'm forced to change.

Teresaw

Mirapex

Post by Teresaw »

I have been on Mirapex for several months. Good initial results- but in the last several weeks I have been experiencing several side affects. I get unusually sleepy during the day, extremely sore leg muscles upon waking, joint swelling, tirediness. I am a very active person-tennis/running. I have daily RLS and have been dealing with RLS since childhood. My Dr and I are experimenting with the different Rx's to see what is causing the symptoms. I am also taking Ambien to help me sleep. I stopped taking the Ambien for a couple of nights and slept for 2 hours with my legs waking me up with discomfort. I have tried taking the Ambien and not the Meripex. I haven't been able to sleep more than 3 hours the past 2 nights. I have a pain reliever that helps me get some sleep when my legs start up at night. Any suggestions? Anyone with the same symptoms?

becat

Hello

Post by becat »

Hi Teresaw,
Yup, Miarpex worked for me for several months then they had to up the dose. I like you, take ambien, but if it's a bad night it's a waste.
I do take pain medication now for the RLS and still the ambien. It's the only way I have found that I get some relief.
There are many combinations of things that work for us. The trick is to find yours. It will be slightly different for everyone.
Don't let anyone tell you that paon medications aren't used they are. Don't let them tell you they won't work, the do for some.
It may take just an adjustment to your mirapex to help you out. It's a trial and error type of thing with RLS.
If you have RLS by a genetic source, others in your family have it. Then yours will be a bit different that others that get it in another way. i.e. medications, horomones, surgery, iron problems, etc. If you have had it as a child, by the time you are an adult you may find that it is stronger and happens more often or all the time.
RlS is progressive.
I am so glad to hear that you have a doctor that is willing to listen and help. Good for you that part is not an issue.
Welcome to the board and hope to see you around again soon.