New to Mirapex and my experience

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Anonymous

New to Mirapex and my experience

Post by Anonymous »

I have suffered from RLS for many many years. I am in my late 30's I learned that RSL run in the family. In my family, I know of three generations that have one form or another.

I have been suffering from RSL and no sleep for over a month. I finally began some research and seeked medical attention from a sleep disorder Doctor. She ran some blood test and found that my ferritin level was 15. According to the Doc that is the reserve iron in the brain and this level was very low, I am anemic. This is a trigger for RLS. She perscribed 0.5mg of Mirapex and 10 mg of Ambien and Nirflex for the low iron.

I finally have felt a major relief in the RSL symptoms. My RLS located from my torso down to my legs. I have not quite fallen in a deep sleep yet but the Ambien is definately helping.

I wrote this in hopes that it may help others. RSL is terrible to suffer from, lack of sleep can cause many aliments and emotions distress.
I hope this helps.

I dont know what the long term effects are of Mirapex I have only been taking it for 4 weeks. If anyone has info please share on this board.

Mina

cornelia

long-term effects dopamine agonists: report

Post by cornelia »

Hi Mina,

Merry Christmas to you and welcome.
Underneath you find a report on long-term treatment with DA's. Here it comes:

Arch Neurol. 2004 Sep;61(9):1393-7. Related Articles, Links

Long-term treatment of restless legs syndrome with dopamine agonists.

Ondo W, Romanyshyn J, Vuong KD, Lai D.

Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, 6550 Fannin, Houston, TX 77030, USA. wondo@bcm.tmc.edu

BACKGROUND: Controlled clinical trials robustly demonstrate the short-term efficacy of dopamine agonists (DA) for restless legs syndrome (RLS), but little is known about the long-term efficacy and long-term adverse events. Augmentation-an increase in the duration, intensity, and anatomy of RLS symptoms-is commonly associated with dopaminergic treatments; however, risk factors for this troubling scenario have not been formally evaluated. OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the long-term efficacy and tolerability of DA for RLS and to evaluate factors that could predict the occurrence of augmentation. METHODS: We queried all subjects seen from 1996 to 2003 and followed up those initiated on any DA by the Baylor College of Medicine Movement Disorders Clinic, Houston, Tex. Patients with Parkinson disease, uremia, or medications that could affect RLS were excluded. Demographics, efficacy, dosing, adverse events, and augmentation were tracked across time. Statistical modeling was used to evaluate for factors that could predict augmentation. RESULTS: After eliminating all patients with RLS who had factors that could affect DA dosing or the accuracy of data, we observed 83 subjects with at least 6 months' use of DA (mean +/- SD, 39.2 +/- 20.9 months). Efficacy was maintained across time but at the expense of moderate but significant increases in doses (P<.01). Adverse events were frequent but usually mild and seldom resulted in discontinuation. Augmentation was frequent (48% of subjects) but usually modest, and it was predicted by a positive family history for RLS and especially the lack of any neuropathy on electromyographic or nerve conduction velocity tests. CONCLUSIONS: Dopamine agonists continued to effectively treat RLS without long-term adverse events but often required adjustments across time. The higher rate of augmentation in familial and nonneuropathic RLS should be considered when initiating therapy.

Corrie