I gained weight on Neurontin!

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Jenn_E

I gained weight on Neurontin!

Post by Jenn_E »

I am in the process of weaning myself off of Neurontin.
This time last year I was so happy because I lost 30lbs.
Ive been on Neurontin now for about 2 months and have gained every bit of that 30lbs back! I am so miserable. I had worked so hard and now here I am again. :(
I think Im going to just quit taking all my meds and put myself on iron supplements!
Just remember there are always others out there who have it much worse then You and I!

ViewsAskew

Commiseration

Post by ViewsAskew »

Jenn, I'm in the same boat, but from Mirapex, so I feel your pain (especially when I try to tie my shoes :oops: . In the first 18 months I took it, I gained 2 or so pounds a month and am now 40 pounds heavier than I was. I had to go buy a new wardrobe. . . 3 times!

becat

Hi Jenn

Post by becat »

Hi Jenn,
I know how you feel about the weight. I've struggled with the same issues for the past couple of years. I found that the inactivity due to my RLS and the sheer lack of sleep may have been my real problem. I can't say that is the issue for you. I'm not where I'd like to be weight wise, but I'm healthy. Sleeping better is helping with the motivation to be more active. I hope you and your doctor are working on the weaning off process together. I hope also, that the iron supplements work for you. It's a personal choice. There are many people that don't use medication and do wonderfully with other things. I truely will be pulling for you that it works for you. I took myself off of Mirapex and choose a different treatment. It wasn't as harmless as it seemed. Please talk to your doctor to make sure your proceeding properly.
I've read the other post about the lawsuit against the makers of Neurotin. This is a problem for all of us. There are NO MEDICATIONS that are designed to Target RLS. All of the medication we use are "off label". Thus, anything our doctors give us is Off Label. It's unfortunate that someone has had such bad experiences that they feel that a lawsuit is the only way to right their problem. In saying that, I'd like to make clear that someone that has suffered undo trama due to a drug or treatment, without knowing the risk, is wrong. But the fact, in my opinion, is that this medication seems to help many people. And to think that they might loose their right to take it........is bothersome to me. The medication I take is an "off label" drug. And there are risk and side effects. I've researched them, I'm educated about them, and I know my options. I wish I were one of the lucky ones that could use supplements and herbs to obtain Quality of life, a good one. I'm not for now, maybe that will change. Maybe I'll get lucky and the drug companies will develope something with less risks, for RLS. But for now all medications have risk and side effects. I think several of us learned this year to research what was being offered to us, that way we could make better choices about what we took. There are some medications I will not take. My Choice. But I for one would not stand in the way of an educated consumer, if it worked for them.
Jenn, it's all a personal choice. I wish you the best in the weaning off process and the iron therapy. Please let me know how it goes for you.
Best WIshes