Needing Doc in Northern Virginia

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
wigglypain

Needing Doc in Northern Virginia

Post by wigglypain »

Hello all, I am moving to Fairfax/Alexandria area of Virginia the end of this month. What I need to do is locate a doctor who is willing to continue my current medications. I was on Opana ER 30 mg three times a day. I had to drop to MS contin when I lost my insurance. Am also on Percocet 10/325mg for the breakthrough pain. I am so hoping to get back on the Opana when me insurance kicks in.

My fear is that I am coming up north and will find it hard to locate a doctor like I have here in SC. I have tried every non-narcotic med out there with no relief for my severe 24/7 RLS :twisted: Then again it does not help being a registered nurse and in 12-step program for 14 years for drug abuse. This is where I always hit a road block and doctors immediately say they can not prescribe any narcotics to me. I try to tell them that I have been through all the DA and Requip actually made my pain 100x worse.

When went through the hell of no relief and agonizing pain for months before I graduated to the meds now. Scares me because as long as pain is present I am very suicidal. I do take Effexor XR for my depression but when pain is at it's worse the thoughts still remain. I have already had on trip to the looney bin :? and really do not want to return.

Any suggestion would be great. Being a train ride from the city to Baltimore for John Hopkins even has occured to me.

Holding my breath for what is, I am afraid, a future doc is going to tell me no :cry: .

Thanks
Wiggly Pain
ems2rn@gmail.com

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi Wiggly. I hope someone can let you know of a good doctor in the area that you're moving to. Perhaps when you find a doctor, your current doctor in SC can advocate for you with the new doctor. Doctors will sometimes listen to other doctors. And it may be a long ways to travel, but you can always go back and see the current doctor. People travel for good RLS treatment all the time.

Just remember that you deserve treatment for this condition, and don't let any doctor tell you otherwise.
Susan

KBear

Post by KBear »

Wiggly- I can't help you with finding a doctor but I wanted to let you know (in case were are not aware) that Effexor can make your RLS worse. I was on Effexor for several years and was finally able to wean myself off (not an easy thing to do). Fortunately I was in a good place physically and emotionally and my doctor was supportive.

Unfortunately getting off Effexor did not cure my RLS so don't think that you have to stop the Effexor to get relief. However, uou may want to talk to your doctor about switching to another antidepressant. The only one that I am aware of that does not make RLS worse is Wellbutrin (it may even help the RLS) however some people find the Wellbutrin does help as much with their depression. If you have to stay with the Effexor you will need to find the right drug combination to cover the increase in RLS.

We are all different and figuring out what will work for you can be hit or miss a good place to start is the Mayo clinc doc ument attached in my signature line below. There are non-narcotic choices for those of us who can not or who choose not to take them.

Hang in there and learn as much as you can here, you may have to educate your doctor so the key is to find a good one who will listen.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

wigglypain

Post by wigglypain »

Thanks.

Atleast I have able to find flights from DC-Charleston for $140-170(tax deduction, at least). Yes I am keeping an appointment with my current doctor for 12 March. I will se how he feels about me coming back and forth.

In the past I have traveled 4hrs one way to see someone. Then he left on some form of admin leave and I got a real B#&#@ of a replacement. She cut my Avinza and oxycodone off saying RLS doesnt need more than ultram for relief and all I was doing is drug seeking. Needless to say I never returned and went back to the Rheumatologist I am being treated by now. He is a godsend. He took the slow way to get me comfortable, but works well with me changing situations.

Effexor- have had no problems with effexor affexting my RLS(about the only thing that doesn't). It is sad as an RN and not working I have to choose which meds to take and the effexor I take when I can afford three or four days worth :oops: .
Wiggly Pain
ems2rn@gmail.com

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

hey wiggly u r in luck i am from northern va. welcome to the area.

i don't know of any docs in the alexandria area, but if you would like to talk to my doc in garrisonville which is right down I95 he could treat you if you didn't mind the drive or i am sure he could rec a good neuro in your area. he has been in this area for 30 something years. he listens to you and if what u are taking works he would probably keep you on it.

give me a pm and i'll tell you who he is and how to reach him.

dee aka tazzer
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Wiggly I am sorry to hear what you are going through but so glad that Tazzer replied about a dr that she goes to can either help you or give you a rec of where you can go to.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. I hope that you get the relief that you so much deserve.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

wigglypain

Post by wigglypain »

Thanks CT.

Doing well now. Just when I move the fear of find a smuck instead of a doctor fears me the most. Keeping me in the exhausting pain we all know. The excruciating pain down my legs, arms, even my left shoulder and neck. It is at those times when the suicide thoughts creep in. My partner handles those times but just barely. He is a real trooper for standing by for the last 5, nearly 6 years. And of course this family at rls.org has been there throughout as well.

There are many times that as an RN I am ashamed of the medical community. Due in fact the idots that can not remember that pain is just as important as BP, Heart Rate, and Respiratory status. They seem to forget that pain is nationally known as the FIFTH VITAL SIGN.
Wiggly Pain
ems2rn@gmail.com

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

wigglypain wrote:Thanks CT.

There are many times that as an RN I am ashamed of the medical community. Due in fact the idots that can not remember that pain is just as important as BP, Heart Rate, and Respiratory status. They seem to forget that pain is nationally known as the FIFTH VITAL SIGN.

You are more than welcome. I so totally agree with the statement that you just said. That is sad and do not know why they do not see rls as a disorder. Some painful, creepy crawlies etc. Unless they walk a mile in your shoes they have no idea what we are going through.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time