Peri-menopause and RLS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
pamhb

Peri-menopause and RLS

Post by pamhb »

I'm now experiencing the joys of perimenopause, where I wake up at 4:00 am (the magic hour!) for no apparent reason. Going without sleep for a couple of days makes my RLS more difficult to manage (I currently take Mirapex supplemented by clonazepam), so that I soon end up with sleep issues at both ends of the night.

My doc has prescribed prometrium to try and deal with the menopause issue. Has anyone else had experience with this?

cmoore1958

Post by cmoore1958 »

Hi pamhb,

It makes sense that when your hormones go crazy so does your rls. There are a lot of women who have rls only when they are pregnant, to go away after they have their baby.

I just completed menopause! YIPPEE! My rls was up and down during this time. My GYN gave me premarin to help with the hot flashes. After a year I took myself off of the hormone when I discovered it was making my rls worse. Luckily I didn't have too much trouble with the hot flashes.

But, remember, we all react differently to meds and circumstances. I wish there was an easy answer for you, but I think you're going to have to work closely with your doctors to find what works for you. Does your GYN have real knowledge of rls? If not, I suggest you print out the Mayo Clinic algorithm and take it to her for her to read. She needs to know what you are up against and made educated decision for you and with you.

Good luck with this situation. I wish you all the best. Keep us posted on how you are doing and please ask more questions if you have them.

Cyndi
Even when we are by ourselves, we are never truly alone.

My motto: It's MY pitty-party and I'll vent if I want to.

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

I'm starting the prometrium tonight, so we'll see how it goes -- shall it make things better, or shall it make things worse?